not eating much, and gaining!

Options
13»

Replies

• La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    if you just gave birth, you are expecting too much from your body too soon. you don't need a diet, you need TIME.
    give yourself a break. you won't look like this forever. it is nice to be a surrogate, but if you can't be healthy (mentally) about the weight you gain with a pregnancy, it might not be a good idea for you in the future.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. I had sent you a FR the other day by the way. If I'm 42 and a former obese kid and I'm eating 2400 cals per day to maintain, you DEF need to eat more!
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    okay thank you guys so much! :)

I 'm gonna chime in, even though you may no longer be looking at your thread ...
    There are two ways you can easily determine the amount of food you are eating ... based on your hand and palm is one way, and based on dividing a plate into 4 parts is the other ...

Plate method ... use a small plate ... like 9" instead of those large 11-12 inch ones. Visually divide the plate into 4 sections. Load vegetables on 2 of the sections ... salad, broccoli, cauliflower, mixed vegetables, .... whatever you like but make certain it is not a starchy vegetable (like potato, peas, carrots) ... On one of the other quarters of your plate, put your protein. On the last quarter of yor plate, add a starch ... here is where you can put a roll, or a potato, or pasta, or rice ... or that piece of corn on the cob. That would be your dinner. ... for lunch, have a smoothie made with some milk or yogurt, some fruit, maybe a tablespoon of peanut butter ... whip it up in your blender and enjoy. .... for breakfast ... have a little something ... an egg, a piece of meat left over from the night before, a slice of pizza ... or even just drink a glass of milk or eat a 6 ounce yogurt..... or eat your lunch at dinner time and your dinner at lunch time if you want ... just be certain to get in one good meal.

For the hand method ...
    google it and you will find lots of interesting images ...just google "hand method of measuring food portions" .... you won't need to spend money on a scale if you can't or don't think you will stick to using it.

Good luck.
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    you need to up your calories. i know this seems counter-productive, but you are NOT eating enough. try eating 1400 cal/day and see what happens.

so-much-THIS-fireworks.gif
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I always thought that "starvation mode" was complete BS until it happened. Here is what happened to me: I decreased my calorie targets from 0.5 lbs. to 1 lb. per week loss. This gave me a target of 1,680 calories. Within a week, I noticed I was gaining weight. This continued for the next 3 weeks... I ended up gaining 5.1 lbs. in total, with a calorie deficit! So I read somewhere that I should not eat less than my RMR. So I used an online calculator, and my RMR was 1,747. So I raised my calorie goal to 1,930 (targeting 1/2 lb./week weight loss again). That was less than 1 week ago, and I've lost 5.9 lbs. since (so I'm 0.8 lbs. less than 3 weeks ago). I don't expect to continue to see 6 lbs./week loss, but I'm now convinced that there is a real thing as "starvation mode" based on that experience.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode... aye...

Weight loss will slow on too few calories, but it won't lead to gaining weight.

Most likely... the weight gain is either a) normal fluctuation or b) bloat caused by eating so few calories. (As one of the side effects of such a ... 'diet'... is bloating and constipation).

Eat more.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I always thought that "starvation mode" was complete BS until it happened. Here is what happened to me: I decreased my calorie targets from 0.5 lbs. to 1 lb. per week loss. This gave me a target of 1,680 calories. Within a week, I noticed I was gaining weight. This continued for the next 3 weeks... I ended up gaining 5.1 lbs. in total, with a calorie deficit! So I read somewhere that I should not eat less than my RMR. So I used an online calculator, and my RMR was 1,747. So I raised my calorie goal to 1,930 (targeting 1/2 lb./week weight loss again). That was less than 1 week ago, and I've lost 5.9 lbs. since (so I'm 0.8 lbs. less than 3 weeks ago). I don't expect to continue to see 6 lbs./week loss, but I'm now convinced that there is a real thing as "starvation mode" based on that experience.

You lost five lbs? In a week?

I'm sorry. But that sounds like something else was going on (not starvation mode)
  • threnjen
    threnjen Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Get a food scale, your life will get so much easier! Food scales are awesome, and cheap too.
    Nice work being a surrogate, that's awesome :)
  • PurrlyGirl
    PurrlyGirl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Well, everyone else already covered the fact that you're not eating enough...which is good. Because you're not. It's not good for you, it's not healthy, and you don't have to do that to lose weight. If you don't *like* to eat, learn to eat more calorie dense foods (cottage cheese, peanut butter, avocado, etc.) in order to get those extra calories you need without having to have a huge meal. I have a tricky stomach... some days I can eat tons, some days I can barely hold anything down, but I still get my calories every day.

Anyway, another thing to consider is that you mention you don't feel comfortable with your body since pregnancy... some of it may just be pregnancy weight, sure, but pregnancy can often permanently alter the body. After my first baby, I lost the baby weight (and then some), and *still* couldn't fit a lot of my old clothes because my rib cage had expanded. Pants fit differently too because of loose, wobbly skin. My feet are also bigger too. This happens to a lot of women, and may be part of what's going on with you. Just something to think on.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

You lost five lbs? In a week?

I'm sorry. But that sounds like something else was going on (not starvation mode)

Less than a week, and almost all of it was weight I had gained in the 3-4 prior weeks after decreasing calorie intake. I wish I could come up with some other explanation, but the facts are rapid weight gain at low calorie levels and quick loss again after returning to a smaller calorie deficit. As I have said, I do not expect to continue to lose weight at this rate. As I have also said, I never believed in "starvation mode" in the past. (In other words, I used to be just like you until this happened.) If you can provide another logical explanation for the gain at low calories and loss at higher calories (but still a deficit), I would like to look into that.
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options

Something to keep in mind as well - your body is complex. It can "hold onto" weight even with your best efforts, and then all of a sudden drop a bunch all at once - this is not starvation mode, but something that some people's bodies do as a reaction to weight loss. I experience this at times. One explanation is that the fat cells release some fat stores, but hold water in its place and then all of a sudden release it (again metabolism is complex). I DO NOT believe in starvation mode (unless you are dealing with long term severe anorexia in which the body is trying to survive extreme low calorie intake for long periods of time), but I do believe that you can affect your metabolism positively and negatively to some small degree and that everyone has a calorie "sweet spot" for weight loss - energy and steady loss both maintained. I also believe eating a range of calories based on your hunger and exercise level.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    If you lost 12lbs. in week one and gained 2lbs in week two, that's not 'gaining'. Think in averages. Two weeks in, 10lbs. down, that's 5 lbs/week. It will keep going down but if it's positive, you're ok. When you lose that much that fast, the body takes some time to recover, usually.

Good luck!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Something to keep in mind as well - your body is complex. It can "hold onto" weight even with your best efforts, and then all of a sudden drop a bunch all at once - this is not starvation mode, but something that some people's bodies do as a reaction to weight loss. I experience this at times. One explanation is that the fat cells release some fat stores, but hold water in its place and then all of a sudden release it (again metabolism is complex). I DO NOT believe in starvation mode (unless you are dealing with long term severe anorexia in which the body is trying to survive extreme low calorie intake for long periods of time), but I do believe that you can affect your metabolism positively and negatively to some small degree and that everyone has a calorie "sweet spot" for weight loss - energy and steady loss both maintained. I also believe eating a range of calories based on your hunger and exercise level.

Yes, I've had that happen several times where I have a plateau and then finally see a large loss. I've read some research, probably the same that you have read that discusses fat cells taking on water and then finally dropping it all. That would explain a plateau. I didn't have a plateau... I had a significant gain after cutting calories.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options

Yes, I've had that happen several times where I have a plateau and then finally see a large loss. I've read some research, probably the same that you have read that discusses fat cells taking on water and then finally dropping it all. That would explain a plateau. I didn't have a plateau... I had a significant gain after cutting calories.
    Probably because you were eating more than you even realize. Easy to do if you are hungry. I would bet that if you were in a controlled environment with only access to food was what and when others gave it to you, you would not have "gained" on fewer calories. It simply isn't possible. If your body requires 1500 calories to live and maintain your weight, there is no way you can gain if you only consume 1200. There have been tons of studies to prove this. And "starvation mode" doesn't mean gaining Weight when eating less calories, it means losing less weight than might be expected when consuming x amount of calories. Your body gets better at using less energy to process the calories, so you are actually requiring less calories- which is why it appears that you are losing less than you should because the changes in metabolic requirements aren't being evaluated by the individual.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Probably because you were eating more than you even realize. Easy to do if you are hungry. I would bet that if you were in a controlled environment with only access to food was what and when others gave it to you, you would not have "gained" on fewer calories. It simply isn't possible. If your body requires 1500 calories to live and maintain your weight, there is no way you can gain if you only consume 1200. There have been tons of studies to prove this. And "starvation mode" doesn't mean gaining Weight when eating less calories, it means losing less weight than might be expected when consuming x amount of calories. Your body gets better at using less energy to process the calories, so you are actually requiring less calories- which is why it appears that you are losing less than you should because the changes in metabolic requirements aren't being evaluated by the individual.

Sure, take the easy way out and tell me I didn't measure or record properly. Continue on and tell me that I recorded properly for several weeks, and then I lowered my calories goals and magically stopped recording everything I ate. Then, continue on and tell me that once I raised my calorie goals again, I started recording accurately and losing again... because I wasn't as hungry. Does that make sense?! Of course not! Nice try, though... if you don't have an explanation you like, just tell me I'm not recording properly during that specific time frame that I gained weight. Never mind that I was even more hungry than normal and yes, I fought hard to not give in to food cravings, but I didn't eat without recording everything I ate and at the quantities I ate.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    also, I feel fine. I'm not dizzy or shakey.
    I eat grilled chicken, and healthy food when i do eat, i take vitamins. plenty of water.
    So is it okay to eat very few calories until i lose some of these stubborn pounds?

NO!!!!!!

You can do this the smart and sustainable way or you can go about things in your current manner. Your choice .. and, yes, I deliberately differentiated between your way and the smart, sustainable way.