Why is sugar the devil?

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Some people demonise it on here, but in moderation it can be fine. The problem is its in many foods, is very high in calories and offers little nutritional benefit. It cna be an addictive sort of empty calories and overconsumption can lead to obesity with all the associated health problems that being overweight is likely to bring.

Tooth decay, diabetes, heart disease.

By all means eat as much as you like, but the recommended amount by the WHO is down to 5% of our diet.

If you wnat to base your diet on sugar then go right ahead. It does seem like you just wnat to bait people.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/sugars.aspx
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26449497
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    It's not. No food or micro/macro is bad unless you have a health issue that results in problems when consuming too much of said nutrient.

False. It's not just bad for those with health issues. How do you think people develop diabetes? One of the major causes of type-2 diabetes is overconsumption of sugar.

That's a big myth. Genetics and autoimmune issues is what causes diabetes, and obesity is what nudges the risk further. Sugar has nothing to do with it.

THIS^^^^^^^^^

There is no simple answer to what causes type 2 diabetes. While eating sugar, for example, doesn't cause diabetes, eating large amounts of sugar and other rich, fatty foods, can cause weight gain. Most people who develop diabetes are overweight. Scientists do not fully understand why obesity increases someone's chances of developing diabetes, but they believe obesity is a major factor leading to type 2 diabetes..........
    http://answers.webmd.com/answers/1179568/what-causes-type-2-diabetes

Diabetes is a number of diseases that involve problems with the hormone insulin. While not everyone with type 2 diabetes is overweight, obesity and lack of physical activity are two of the most common causes of this form of diabetes. It is also responsible for nearly 95% of diabetes cases in the United States, according to the CDC. .............http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/guide/diabetes-causes
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    For me it's pretty simple.

ca 500 kcal of dinner with meat and vegs: stuffed.
    ca 500 kcal 1 bag of potato chips: stuffed, feel greasy
    ca 500 kcal big chocolate bar: queasy, almost nauseous.

ca 500 kcal of my fav sour candies: Where is the other bag?

What other people choose to eat or not eat, is up to them.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    It's not. No food or micro/macro is bad unless you have a health issue that results in problems when consuming too much of said nutrient.

False. It's not just bad for those with health issues. How do you think people develop diabetes? One of the major causes of type-2 diabetes is overconsumption of sugar.

That's a big myth. Genetics and autoimmune issues is what causes diabetes, and obesity is what nudges the risk further. Sugar has nothing to do with it.

You're wrong. Thousands of people develop diabetes who have ZERO history of diabetes or autoimmune diseases in their family. Why? Because of their diet.
    Is it directly due to the sugar consumption as you claim? Or the overall diet?

Never said it was directly due to sugar consumption... I said diet in general. Excessive sugar consumption puts an individual at a higher risk.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

You're wrong. Thousands of people develop diabetes who have ZERO history of diabetes or autoimmune diseases in their family. Why? Because of their diet.

It must be nice being ahead of medical science on this issue. What is your secret?

Ok, NOW I'm in.
    Eye+Roll.gif

popcorn_danny_devito.gif
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Some people demonise it on here, but in moderation it can be fine. The problem is its in many foods, is very high in calories and offers little nutritional benefit. It cna be an addictive sort of empty calories and overconsumption can lead to obesity with all the associated health problems that being overweight is likely to bring.

By all means eat as much as you like, but the recommended amount by the WHO is down to 5% of our diet.

If you wnat to base your diet on sugar then go right ahead. It does seem like you just wnat to bait people.

You're incorrectly assuming. Why would you assume my diet is based largely on sugar because I asked a question? This board is getting ridiculous with the amount of responses that are just based on an assumption based off of nothing other than the reader's personal feeling of judgement.

For your information, my diet happens to be moderate to low in sugar. I'm rarely over my sugar goals, once in the past 2 months, and only by 13g. Oddly, I always thought I ate too much sugar but MFP seems to be telling me I'm doing things correctly in that regard.

Seriously, it's just a question! Can't a person ask a simple question without people treating them like they're a troll?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

You're incorrectly assuming. Why would you assume my diet is based largely on sugar because I asked a question? This board is getting ridiculous with the amount of responses that are just based on an assumption based off of nothing other than the reader's personal feeling of judgement.

For your information, my diet happens to be moderate to low in sugar. I'm rarely over my sugar goals, once in the past 2 months, and only by 13g. Oddly, I always thought I ate too much sugar but MFP seems to be telling me I'm doing things correctly in that regard.

Seriously, it's just a question! Can't a person ask a simple question without people treating them like they're a troll?

I'm not assuming anything. Eat it , don't eat it in whatever quantities you want. You asked a question and i gave you an answer plus links with further independent information for you to make up your own mind.
  • niecey61
    niecey61 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Read anything from Dr. Mercola
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options

Type 2 diabetes risk factors include: genetics, obesity, long term antidepressant use, if your mother had gestational diabetes, many cancer treatments (especially if treated as a child), age, chronic stress, chronic disruption in the circadian rhythms. There is also correlation but not a proven causation to higher than normal amounts of certain herbicides, arsenic, BPA's and other plasticizers, etc. in the system. There is no evidence that sugar causes diabetes. The excess weight put on by eating too many high calorie foods, which include those made with sugar, is one risk factor. Most people who develop diabetes have at least 2 of the risk factors.

Also, T2 diabetics (I am one of them) are not told to cut out sugar, we are told to watch total carbs.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

The excess weight put on by eating too many high calorie foods, which include those made with sugar, is one risk factor.

My point exactly.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    For me it's pretty simple.

ca 500 kcal of dinner with meat and vegs: stuffed.
    ca 500 kcal 1 bag of potato chips: stuffed, feel greasy
    ca 500 kcal big chocolate bar: queasy, almost nauseous.

ca 500 kcal of my fav sour candies: Where is the other bag?

What other people choose to eat or not eat, is up to them.

Or 400 calories of meat and veg, plus maybe some starch, plus 100 calories of some high quality dark chocolate, as yet another (of many) possibilities. IMO, delightful and perfectly satiating.

OP is right; why do so many people have to imagine it's all or nothing such that if you eat sugar it's just all sugar all the time, or if you eat potatoes it's just chips always and only.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I thought Foosball was the devil.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

Is it directly due to the sugar consumption as you claim? Or the overall diet?

Never said it was directly due to sugar consumption... I said diet in general. Excessive sugar consumption puts an individual at a higher risk.

Yeah, you did (see bolded).
    Boom!.gif

OT: I think a lot of people need a food boogeyman.
  • ghurl7
    ghurl7 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    the facts are simple --- no type of body exercise or movement is the "devil" or "bad" .... that is the main cause of health-issues ... consuming any type of food more than what the body needs is "bad" ...

sugar is not the devil ... it is the person who needs to incorporate exercise, moderation and discipline that is at fault .... geeeez .... stop blaming food ... and reflect on the "individual" consuming that type of food ....
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,014 Member
    Options
    i do not think sugar is the devil.

However I do think that for many people, including me, the easiest way to cut calories from your intake is to reduce the amount of sugar you consume - dont add it to tea/coffee dont drink sugary soda, dont eat cakes, candy etc - or cut down on these things and calories are reduced without changing anything else.

For this reason, I now drink Pepsi Max - not because I think sugar is bad but because I dont want to 'waste' calories on sugary drinks.

(and, No, I dont subsribe to the artificial sweeteners are the devil theories either)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As a long term diabetic one would expect me to say how bad sugar is, and i mean all sugar, not just refined or added or natural but all of it.

But to put it in perspective, sugar is like a loaded gun clocked and ready to fire.

By itself, if put in the hands of an expert that knows what their doing with it and can handle it professionally, it is perfectly safe.

Unfortunately 90% of people have no idea what they doing with it, it is in so many foods, and drinks and labeled as healthy or put in such a way it makes a product look like it low sugar when really it not, and people get trapped into a cycle of far too much consumption of it.

For instance:

One professional dietician at hospital I go to, one that deals with diabetic patients like myself, she always said to me, cut out fats, medium proteins, and make your diet mainly carbs.

Have as much fruit as you wish because it is very good for you, same with veg, fill your plate up with veg.

3 years ago, my diabetes was so bad my glucose meter just showed H1, my blood sugars were too high to register.
    I was also going blind and at point of needing laser surgery.

I came onto a site like MFP, and started to look at all the fruit and veg I was eating like instructed, and yes my overall carbs wasn't that high, but the sugars OMG, with all the fruit and low fat foods and veg, sugars were over 300 a day.

After that I cut out fruit completely, cut out most veg, and never touch low fat foods now unless it shows full sugar content, and guess what, turned my diabetes from totally out of control to perfect control.
    In 2 weeks had halved it, in 4weeks was in normal levels, was so remarkable the change my doctor sent me for a 2nd lot of blood tests as they thought first lot had been messed up at the lab.

Also reversed the damage behind my eyes to almost clear in 4 months.

And to this day, I still can't get my diabetic nurse to understand all sugars are the same.

Now I want to say this, just to be fair and impartial.....

As long as you have 100% perfect health with no increased genetic links for PCOS/Diabetes on either side of family, and your active and able to burn off the glucose as you ingest it, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with sugar at all, it not a devil, it an awesome source of energy when working out, and for those lucky enough to be able to handle it, it fantastic.

Now diabetes has always been around, so has obesity, but was never anywhere near as bad until the invention of corn syrup and low fat foods, and both have been on a growing scale ever since.

The fact that the FDA allow a product to show trans fats as zero as long as in the portion size it's 0.49g or less, so it really makes ya wonder just what else in our modern food is getting hidden in same way.

Food for thought.....

Anyway, that's just my opinion rightly or wrongly, let the discussion continue hopefully in a nice, polite & respectful way.

Blessed be

I would just like to point out, that if your sugars were 300g, then your carbs would be too. Sugar is a carb. Even if I am reading this wrong and your carbs were 300g a day, that is high. Even at 2500 calories a day, my carb intake is usually 200-240g a day. So 300g on a lower intake is high.