Did you notice a difference after removing Mirena?

TayJoMama
TayJoMama Posts: 348 Member
edited September 23 in Health and Weight Loss
Just wondering if anyone noticed a difference physically/emotionally after getting rid of Mirena? Got rid of mine yesterday because it made my TOM worse that what it was before, but now I'm feeling pretty good. Others have mentioned losing weight that they gained while having it in or not feeling depressed anymore. I just wondered how others felt after getting rid of it. Did it take long for you body to get back to normal? Thanks!

Replies

• Aimee_PD
    Aimee_PD Posts: 177 Member
    I still have mine but cant wait to get it removed! so I'm interested in other's responses :-)
  • glittersoul
    glittersoul Posts: 666 Member
    I noticed that I got my energy back that I had been missing, my sex drive and I wasn't hungry all the time anymore . :)
    ETA: It only took a few days for the above to happen. It seemed like it took a couple of months to go back to completely normal though.
  • SEE !!! I KNEW THAT WAS MESSING ME ALL UP!!!
    i am tired ALL THE time too!!!
    i didn't really gain any weight when i got it in, but i didn't lose ANY that i gained from having the baby.
    that's it im getting this thing out ASAP!!!

but what to do for birth control???
  • Aimee_PD
    I noticed that I got my energy back that I had been missing, my sex drive and I wasn't hungry all the time anymore . :)
    ETA: It only took a few days for the above to happen. It seemed like it took a couple of months to go back to completely normal though.
    see I never feel like I have enough energy. no matter what I eat or do during the day. I blame it all on poor sleep but it may be this stupid thing!
  • TayJoMama
    Oh yes, I noticed my sweet tooth was out of control sometimes! Hoping that changes as well.
  • Aimee_PD
    SEE !!! I KNEW THAT WAS MESSING ME ALL UP!!!
    i didn't really gain any weight when i got it in, but i didn't lose ANY that i gained from having the baby.

thats my concern too. this is the ONLY method that has kept us from having a third baby! lol....but ive been hearing some horror stories and it's been concerning me big time!
  • kitta3
    kitta3 Posts: 84
    I am not on Mirena... but I was on the pill and took myself off..
    I found it wasnt good for me, it kinda dryed me up and made my sex drive go way down
    Im still not completely back to normal, but its getting there

it also made me less hungrey now yayyy
  • this is the EASIEST way to not get a kid, but i do not like the side effects of these hormones! after i had my 2nd kid i was on the pill, then the patch and i was 160 the whole time, then i stopped all the birth control and used the diaphragm, and as soon as i stopped it i lost 40 pounds practically without even trying. but now i have THREE BOYS!!!! and my baby is almost two and i can't get this weight off!!!!
    what to dooooooo
    lol
  • TayJoMama
    SEE !!! I KNEW THAT WAS MESSING ME ALL UP!!!

I've heard that from other women on other sites too. Didn't gain weight but found it hard to lose. For the past couple of months I've done everything healthy to lose but with no results. Just stuck, here's hoping that changes now. I liked Depo, because it was great for TOM, but terrible for weight gain. For me, muckying with the hormones just doesn't turn out well. Not sure.
  • wait what's TOM?

yea...i'm like all ready to call my dr. now to get this thing out! lol
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    I did notice more of a sex drive, but I don't think it was becuase the mirena wasn't there, I think it was because I had it removed to have another baby.
  • sharmonesq
    sharmonesq Posts: 113 Member
    Yes! The difference I noticed was having energy. When I had the mirena my doc had run every test imaginable trying to figure out why I was so darn tired all the time. I just felt like crap. Within a month I felt SO MUCH BETTER. I also am able to lose weight easier. I think mainly becuase the hormones made me hungry all the time. I just generally feel better. However, I also agree that it is a reliable form of birth control. I had mine taken out during my tubal because I'm done having kids.
  • TayJoMama
    wait what's TOM?

yea...i'm like all ready to call my dr. now to get this thing out! lol
    TOM or TOTM is MFP speak for Time of the Month!
  • OH makes sense!!!! see, i thought it was just me, but after reading all this i am seriously getting it out. thanks guys.
  • Aimee_PD
    i'll getting mine out as soon as hubby's insurance with new job is in motion! that would be great if it would solve my energy problems!
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    I loved the Mirena, at first! It completely stopped my periods, I lost 7 lbs in the first month I was on it & it didn't affect my mood/emotional well being at all.
    Until I got pregnant 18 months into my five years :huh:
    Everybody is different but whatever you use, just remember birth controls are like people, nothing/nobody is perfect.
  • TayJoMama
    I loved the Mirena, at first! It completely stopped my periods, I lost 7 lbs in the first month I was on it & it didn't affect my mood/emotional well being at all.
    Everybody is different but whatever you use, just remember birth controls are like people, nothing/nobody is perfect.
    OMG, you got pregnant while on Mirena, that must have been a shocker! Did everything go okay?
  • I have had both the Paraguard and the mirena and have found out that yes there are side effects to all birth controls but I stuck with the lesser evil. I could never stick to the pill cause i would be emotionally a reck and would gain weight. Mirena has been good to me and I will stick with it till I want to get pregnant again. If you are feeling tired I would either get a B12 shot or take the B12 vitamin. They have helped me so much. I hope this helps
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    OMG, you are the first person I have heard that got pregnant! what happened?
    I got Mirena 4.5 years ago. I felt a little crazy/hormonal at first but I think it was because I was actually coming off the depo. Mirena has very little hormone and it is in the plastic and acts mainly on the uterus, not getting into the blood stream in any great amounts like Depo. That said, I respect that all women are different and it might effect different women very differently! I quit smoking about the same time and attributed hunger and weight gain to that, so if it was Mirena I don't know.
    I did get ovarian cysts and think Mirena had something to do with it.
    Oh, and I found it was horribly painful to have inserted. I haven't had children. Not sure I want any and I am getting old now, so I don't know whether to replace it in August or what.
    Was it horrible to have it removed?
  • Kalee34
    Kalee34 Posts: 674 Member
    My husband and I have just been using the old standby (a condom). My husband does not want me taking anything or inserting anything. It has worked for the last 16 months! Neither one of us like it very much, but if it keeps us from having baby #5 any time soon its ok for us!
This discussion has been closed.