How many days between running?

Options
Hi there! I went for my first 8 mile run EVER on Saturday (yay me!!! :drinker: :happy: )...today is Monday and my legs are still feeling the burn from my Saturday jog. I wanted to try to go for another run this evening but not sure if I should wait another day. I've been running about once/week because I l♥♥♥ve to run outdoors but can't seem to set a schedule for running so can you tell me how you space out your running?

Please share any running tips, schedules or any other good running advise.

Thank you.

Replies

• Remus42
    Remus42 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'll go three days in a row or I'll take a few days off in between. Basically it depends on how long the runs are and how much my muscles are screaming at me about it.
    I did a 7k run the other day and took yesterday off as a rest day. So today I'll go again and tomorrow as well.
  • quakerboy
    quakerboy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend multiple days of rest between running. You actually will find a really light run will make you feel better. If you can't do that, perhaps pulling back a little is okay. So I would recommend taking Sunday off, but then do a light run on Monday, maybe two miles, and then and average run on Tuesday (maybe 3 miles).

I generally follow this model: Monday short distance but fast, Tuesday average distance, average speed, Wednesday longer distance, average speed. Thursday rest. Friday average distance slow. Saturday long distance, average speed. Sunday off.

So right now I am rebuilding after a half, so I did (M) 2 miles/fast, (T) 3 miles, (W) 4 miles, (R) off, (F) 3 miles/slow, (S) 6 miles, (Sun) Off.
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'll go three days in a row or I'll take a few days off in between. Basically it depends on how long the runs are and how much my muscles are screaming at me about it.
    I did a 7k run the other day and took yesterday off as a rest day. So today I'll go again and tomorrow as well.
    I myself do every other day. Running is rough on the joints and wears out the padding on your feet!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i run monday, wednesday and long run saturday, but my 'long' run is only up to 5 miles at the moment!
  • joesimtre
    joesimtre Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I run on a modified schedule. i usually get in about 150 or more miles per month but I only run 20 days out of the month. Rest is important but if you feel good go for it. If I am sore I will go for a shorter run and do a lot of stretching. Everyone is a little different so it's up to you and how you feel. I would say that if you are going to run 8 miles on occasion a little strength training might be necessary because it is hard on the joints and injuries will start to linger. But listen to your body. If it feels good, go for it.
  • RunnersLament
    RunnersLament Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I try to run at least every other day but vary the types of runs. I always follow an Hard/Easy approach... if I do a 5 Mile Tempo, I'll follow that up with a 5 mile Easy Conversational pace run, followed again by a harder run (say a 10 mile LSD)

I also try to include some cross training in my routine and usually on the days off my normal routine I will usually walk for 30-40 minutes.

As was previously said, going for short easy jog will help with recovery as it promotes blood flow thru the legs.

Cheers!
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You're only running once a week?

IMO, I'd back some of that mileage off your long run for the time being, and start adding short runs through the week. What you're doing now sounds like a good way to get hurt.

Right now I'm aiming to run 5 days a week...but I've been running almost 2 years now. When I started, I didn't run more than every other day, and usually just every third day.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I myself do every other day. Running is rough on the joints and wears out the padding on your feet!

Oy...
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I went for my first 8 mile run EVER on Saturday (yay me!!! :drinker: :happy: )...today is Monday and my legs are still feeling the burn from my Saturday jog. I wanted to try to go for another run this evening but not sure if I should wait another day. I've been running about once/week because I l♥♥♥ve to run outdoors but can't seem to set a schedule for running so can you tell me how you space out your running?

Please share any running tips, schedules or any other good running advise.

Thank you.

Once a week for 8mi? Ok, I would start by doing a few smaller runs throughout the week, say MWF, for 3mi or so. You're not going to see the progress you could be seeing by a run once per week. You start to lose fitness benefits after 48 hours. And yes, keep moving after your longer runs. I prefer to do lots of walking after longer or more intense running.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster who suggested a light run the next day. I actually did an 8 yesterday and will do a 3 today (easy effort). It sounds counter-intuitive, but it actually speeds recovery. I like mixing distance with speed and shorter runs. I tend to not run more than 2-3 days in a row, but I do workout about 5-6 times per week. I am also weight lifting and cross training. This will be my 5th cycle of training for a half marathon and I've found I need to change things up often in order to prevent boredom and injury. (I've done a few full marathons too, but am not a super huge fan of that distance.)

Good luck, and congrats on your run!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    ^^^^All this^^^^
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Oy...

I know, right?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

The notion that running is hard on joints is pure myth. Numerous studies have show the opposite to be true (ie runners, barring other medical problems or pre-existing conditions, tend to have fewer joint problems that the general population) but back to the OP

I run 4 days per week most weeks Tue, Thurs, Sat & Sunday. Typically my longest (and slowest) run each week is on Sunday. The key t running success (and almost anything else in life) is repetition and consistency. Running requires significant physiological adaptions which take time, hence distances should be increased at a conservative rate, and consistency. Going too long between runs will only prolong the time it takes for your body to respond.

It's normal to feel a little sore after a longer run, especially for newer runners, you'll probably feel better if you go for a short, low run today. But, listen to your body, most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast......it's a marathon not a sprint.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I currently run three days a week: Tues (45 mins), Thurs (45 mins), and one weekend day (1 hour).

My next progression will be the leap to four days a week, probably Tues, Thurs, Friday and Sunday.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I run no fewer than 6 days a week and sometimes 10 runs per week (3 doubles).

I do NOT recommend this for you, OP.

Someone suggested a few shorter runs during the week. I think this is a great idea. Starting out, running easy and short every other day is a good way to allow the body to become accustomed to the rigors of regular running.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I run 5 days a week. Bike 2-3 days a week. I do short runs 4 of the days and a long run on Saturday. Be sure to have good shoes to protetect your feet. Enjoy -- I love to run and bike both. I do take one day off and I usually go for a walk on that day.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i try for three short runs and one long run per week. although lately i moved my run outside a bit where i do sprints. (hiit)

so now i guess i do sprints on monday, and then two short runs during the week, and a kinda long run on fridays.

i find the longer i go between runs, the less distance i can cover when i do.

speaking of, its time to get off my bootie.
  • MamaMollyT
    MamaMollyT Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    This depends on so many things, but ultimately listen to your body. If you start and feel pain or overly sluggish then stop and walk or do something else. Running conditioning is very cumulative over months and years. So how long you have been running, the consistency and what you are doing on the other days matters. When I'm training for a race i usually run every other day and do strength training on the other days. One of my running days is speed work (hill work, sprints, mile repeats for time) and generally that's a much shorter work out. For me this gives me enough conditioning and doesn't overdo it. I run approximately 30-40 miles per week. I never run every day anymore though. I end up injured when I do. I love to run more than anything so I find it hard to make myself do other things, but I really do find that having the off days from running improves my overall performance. Since I started forcing myself to cross train my times have improved and my strength overall.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My preference is 3-4 runs per week, with a rest day before the long run. When I was only running and doing minimal cross training, I would run Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and long run on Saturday. I like my long run to be 30-35% of my weekly total mileage.

I'm a lot more focused on cross training now than I have been in the past. I have dropped the Thursday run and try to pick up yoga classes and/or weight training.

I don't know how long it has taken you to build up to 8 miles or how fast you run. That seems like a long way for someone only running once per week. You are more likely to injure yourself by overdoing it.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great responses.

I started running about 2 years ago with the C25K and loved it. But after that I didn't do it any longer due to lack of discipline/laziness. I unfortunately put on weight and feel horrible so I have again started to lose weight and I once again have completed the C25K program so I have gradually been working up to the 8 miles.

I went from 1, 2 miles, to 3, 4, 6 and now 8 miles. The only reason I have only been running 1/week (sometimes I can sneak in 2) has been because the minute I get home I am the one who watches the kids and my husband goes off to school and does not return home until late. I go into work at 6:30 am - 2pm and rush home to watch the kids. Saturday mornings are my free day because hubby goes to work a little later and I have 2 hours of alone time and that is when I run or go to the gym.

Those 8 miles took me a little under 2 hours to complete because I am a slow runner but I felt great running outdoors.

I will most likely need to fit in my runs around 4am at the gym on the treadmill which I am not looking forward to but I really enjoy running...a...LOT!

I will take all of your tips into consideration. THANKS!!!