any weight loss by just walking and eating healthy?

Options

Replies

• Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your accomplishment. You're proving that you don't need to pay big bucks to lose weight or get healthier.

My weightloss became stagnant about a month ago and I lost 6 lbs. in the last week simply by incorporating daily walking over and above going to the gym. Most of my walking consists of 2-4 mile walks. 2.5 miles if I walk to or from work [5 miles if I do it both ways in 1 day] and 3-4 miles if I go on an extended walk during the weekend.

Given that my pass expires in early November, I plan to walk to / from work more often and using the other fitness equipment I have at home.
  • lmann72
    lmann72 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Hubby has changed his diet and walks for 30 minutes at lunch everyday. He's already lost 30 pounds. :)
  • kristenjanelle2009
    Options
    Thank You All, I am even more motivated! :)
  • lkilton
    lkilton Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have lost my weight mainly by walking (do a little eliptical) and eating right. I usually walk 6-10 miles a day at various speeds. Good luck--Keep up the good work!!
  • mahogonnee
    Options
    You've lost 15 lbs. YOU are the success story.

I second this!
  • GFDawn
    GFDawn Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration!! Yes I"ve lost about 7 lbs. so far just by cutting to 1400 calories & walking on my breaks.... so hoping for the best in this venture. Best of Luck to you!!
  • Natasha_Fit_Fab
    Natasha_Fit_Fab Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 15 lbs lost; I have lost 10 lbs before MFP and 19 lbs since MFP in July...My exercise of choice at the moment is Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD Home Workouts...I have 1 mile all the way up to 5 miles, different DVD's...It is an Aerobic Walk w/ Intensity and sometimes you can use light hand weights...It's working for me so far..Good Luck!! :smile:
  • 40andFindingFitness
    40andFindingFitness Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I haven't been going to the gym as much as I used to but I'm still losing. I've walked all summer so I'd have to say yes, it's working. I try to do interval walks where I go as fast as I can for a mile, then regular, and I alternate until I'm beat. I also do bodyweight exercises at home. You seem to be losing so keep at it but try to challenge yourself too.
  • GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,785 Member
    Options
    Yes, I walk twice a day on my breaks at work. The primary item I've cut out of my diet is sugar, and no I don't use any sugar substitutes. Not really low carb, but I have cut back some on breads and pasta too. So far I've lost 32 lbs since starting. Congrats to you and keep up the good work!
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I started this quest for fitness with a 1500 calorie low sodium diet coupled with six day a week walks.

Walked 3.7 miles the first two days and developed plantar fasciitis(stone bruise). I painfully limped for three days. Stretched and rolled a ball under my feet for two more then went back to it the next Monday.

I am currently walking four, five or six miles, six days per week and losing two to four pounds each week.

Tried breaking into a jog for the first half mile yesterday but it was brutal on my knees. Plan to lose another 25lbs. and try again. Until then walking is working well.

When I get closer to my ideal weight I'll incorporate resistance training into the routine.

Congrats on the first 15.
  • evildeadgirl2013
    evildeadgirl2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My Mother lost 80 pounds in 6 months, by healthy eating and walking..and she was 52 when she did it!

She first started walking 2 miles a day...and at first, she had to keep stopping along the way, as she was so out of breath. By the end of the 6 months, she was walking up to 8 miles a day and started using her exercise bike.

Her diet was quite strict. She completely cut out sugars and fast food. She stopped drinking pop. Twice a month, she would fast for a day.
    It was a lot of hard work for her, but it paid off.

Not only did she look amazing...she felt it!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I started out walking 2.2 miles a day, to the gas station to buy a lottery ticket and back.

Now I go between 4 and 6 miles and running when my back and knees allow it.

The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I feel it is better to ease into this slowly than run in screaming all at once then fail.

Congrats on your success.
  • jdcc
    jdcc Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say it's great to read all your tips and experiences. I did it before and hope to do it again after slipping back through a decrease in walking over the summer coupled with over-indulging.

I find a combination of watching what you eat and exercise works best. I know I can have the occasional treat if I've done some exercise and I think the loss is a little faster (although only on first week so have yet to see progress but I'm hopeful!). I find the steps counter in MPF/phone really helps too as I think I was overestimating how much exercise I had done. Now I notice it's more realistic than adding it manually and I aim to do 5000 or 6000-10000 steps a day (10000 is probably only a couple of days and the rest is walks with the dog).

Thanks especially to 2essie for mentioning Leslie Sansone. I've just done the 2 mile walk and it was brilliant. Great for rainy days like this. Keep up the good work everyone.
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    That's where I started...just diet and walking. I walk everyday for the mental benefits as well as the physical. I enjoy it so much. Just maintain the proper macros and the walking will just be an added benefit! I never eat back those calories though, but just do whatever works for your body.

Great job so far!
  • JreedyJanelle
    JreedyJanelle Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I lost weight by going on walks and logging my food on MFP. Then I upped my workouts to Kickboxing, Zumba, and wt training. Walks really helped me get fit so that I can do the other activities. I still walk the trails in our area at times. Just keep active and you can and will lose weight.
    Losing 15 pounds is amazing!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Yes. After I was diagnosed with diabetes and hypertension, I started walking 4-5 times a week, for 20-30 minutes at a time. I started counting my carbs (keeping to around 140g per day) and in about 9 months lost 50lbs.
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I walk most days, on the pavement or in the gym, makes no difference. I've lost 7lbs this week just by doing that, Can't run because of a back problem so I'll just keep walking, I LOVE it.
  • lindsaykennington
    Options
    Yes! I've used the simple philosophy of eat less and move more. I eat 1200 calories a day and walk maybe 2-3 miles 3x a week. Honestly, some days I eat fast food and dessert.. but I limit it to 1200 calories, or more if I exercise. over the last 9 months I've lost 50 lbs. It takes a lot of mental and emotional discipline. I needed something that was livable. sometimes I want a cheese burger... I just cant eat them every day. Good luck. You Can Do It!!!!!
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    All of my weight loss has been from eating healthier foods and walking. Good luck in you plan. You can do this too!
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I lost almost all my weight just doing that and then switching to running once I could. I regret not lifting back then though
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!