Weight loss advice

Options
Hey Guys + Girls,

I recently started my weight loss journey I want to lose weight but also tone up some problem areas.
My tummy and thighs.

I have recently started an 800 calorie diet.

Breakfast
1 fruit smoothie with greek yoghurt
200 Calories

Lunch
1 orange
1 apple
1 10cal jelly
1 bag of vegetable crackers
170 Calories

Dinner
100g of Chicken
100g Broccoli
Half a packet of Uncle bens rice
300 Calories

I am currently 74 KG and want to lose 11 KG I don’t really have a lot of time to exercise due to working full time and studying OU (Open University)

Would love some advice!

Leanne

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    You can start by eating a reasonable amount of food. 800 calories is way too low.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    1. You should really eat more. Use the MFP tool to calculate a reasonable deficit to lose about .5 to 1 lb a week.
    2. Read this post, it's full of great advice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • leanneeliza
    Options
    I dont see how eating more will help me loose weight! im looking for advice not jus a critical statement.
  • leanneeliza
    Options
    Thanks Chezhuan i will check it out
  • alska
    alska Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You can start by eating a reasonable amount of food. 800 calories is way too low.

^^ yup ^^
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    I dont see how eating more will help me loose weight! im looking for advice not jus a critical statement.

Well, first that was advice. It was also a critical statement. A post can be both at the same time.

Alright, here's some more specific advice. You say that you want to tone up some of your problem areas. Let's start there. The "toned" look that most people mean is a result of lowering your body fat percentage. This is done best by eating at a reasonable deficit, eating plenty of protein, and doing some form of resistance training. The idea is to lose the fat without losing the existing muscle underneath. Eating at 800 calories a day is not going to help you maintain that existing muscle and your body is likely to break some of it down for energy, which means you'll lose weight but stay at the same body fat percentage. It becomes a viscous cycle of losing the wrong kind of weight without achieving the actual body composition you want.

Additionally, it's very difficult to get enough of your micro and macro nutrients at 800 calories a day. Will you be getting 100% of your recommended vitamins and minerals? Enough iron? Calcium? Fat? Protein? Have you looked into how much of each your body needs? If you're in this for your health instead of just a number on the scale, then you need to consider these things. Not eating enough fat and protein can cause hunger, but also things like hair loss and brittle nails. Not getting enough calcium or iron can lead to health problems down the road.

I see you joined two years ago. Have you had a chance to read the stickies at the top of each board yet? The sexypants guide linked above is a good start. And so is this one, if you're looking for advice on changing the way your body looks: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1391018-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • leanneeliza
    Options
    A reasonal ammount being 1200 i eat 400 less than this and this isnt going to be long term jus need to loose some weight quick as motivation and also for my holiday in 7 weeks.

Eating 1200 calories i dont lose weight i have done that before thats why i dropped to 800.

Im not statving my self if i feel hungy i will eat.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options

You were given advice. It was to eat a reasonable amount of food. Further, the advice was qualified to say that 800 was too low.

For the sake of discussion, if we assume that 800 calories /day is too low (and I happen to agree with that), there are several reasons why having a daily goal in that range would hinder progress. For example, it may not be sustainable for you. It may affect your health in small, adverse ways. You may not be able to get all the proper nutrients (macro and micro), etc.

In terms of pure energy balances, yes, you'd probably lose weight eating 800 calories per day. It seems unlikely that you'd enjoy the experience or the results, however.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    No friends, no photo,....nothing on her profile, and this is only her 3rd post.........Schoool must be out early today

Troll
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    A reasonal ammount being 1200 i eat 400 less than this and this isnt going to be long term jus need to loose some weight quick as motivation and also for my holiday in 7 weeks.

Eating 1200 calories i dont lose weight i have done that before thats why i dropped to 800.

For the record, 800 calories is about what concentration camp victims were fed during WWII.

If you were accurately logging and eating 1200 calories a day, gave your body the time needed to adjust, and still lost no weight, then it might be a good idea to visit your doctor and rule out any health conditions.
  • leanneeliza
    Options
    No friends, no photo,....nothing on her profile, and this is only her 3rd post.........Schoool must be out early today

Troll

i actually work full time and am currently studing Law at Open university i only use the app to track my calories i jus came here for advice
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Well, the good news is that you'll probably be able to take an extended holiday, since the impaired mental function from eating so little will probably cost you your job and your grades at school. Plus the lack of calories and protein in your diet will eat away at your existing muscle, leaving you with nothing to "tone."
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Then you are actually eating more than you think you are if you are not losing on 1200 cals.
    Do you weigh solid foods and measure liquids? If not you may be eating 10-50+% more than you think you are
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    As others have said eat atleast 1200 calories. Log everything you eat cardio or strength train and lose weight.

29509743.png
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    1. You should really eat more. Use the MFP tool to calculate a reasonable deficit to lose about .5 to 1 lb a week.
    2. Read this post, it's full of great advice: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • leanneeliza
    Options

For the record, 800 calories is about what concentration camp victims were fed during WWII.

If you were accurately logging and eating 1200 calories a day, gave your body the time needed to adjust, and still lost no weight, then it might be a good idea to visit your doctor and rule out any health conditions.

I have been to my doctor and yes i do have medical conditions that are 'could' be effecting my weight

When i was in high school i starved my self to the point where i can no longer have children - Then i went totally in the oppsite direction and gained 7st. I dont want to go back down that route thats why i want advice.
  • diannethegeek
    Options

I have been to my doctor and yes i do have medical conditions that are 'could' be effecting my weight

When i was in high school i starved my self to the point where i can no longer have children - Then i went totally in the oppsite direction and gained 7st. I dont want to go back down that route thats why i want advice.

If you have medical conditions that may affect your weight loss, then you need to speak with your doctor to make sure they're sorted out. It also sounds like you could benefit from sitting down with someone like a counselor or registered dietitian who has experience helping those with a history of disordered eating.
  • leanneeliza
    Options
    Yes i weigh everything i only drink water but i think im eating the wrong types of food.
  • jojokmack
    jojokmack Posts: 117
    Options
    My-oh-my.....800 calories! I would think that she would gain everything back 2 days in to her holiday! ;)
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Yes i weigh everything i only drink water but i think im eating the wrong types of food.

For most people, the type of food you're eating won't stop you from losing weight. In your case, depending on what medical conditions you have that may be affecting your weight loss, you might benefit from a low carb diet. But again, that's something to take up with your doctor.