Snacks while studying

Options
So I have been back at uni for about a month now and I've noticed that soon after lunch I start feeling hungry again but when I was on my summer break I didn't feel hungry until around dinner time. So I decided to have bananas because I thought that would be the best choice but it's so many calories and I'm kinda getting sick of them now. What do you guys take as healthy snacks to work/university? I need Ideas!

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    ...banana's have too many calories?

Oh jeeze. Have some celery then.
  • z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Eat more protein at lunch... It will keep u full
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    What resources do you have available to you? Fridge, microwave?

I recently read an article for foods to boost brain power while studying and a lot of them don't need any appliances- you can just pack them in the morning and go. These aren't my go-to snacks (I've been trying to divide up a bowl of cereal into two snacks a day, or have some 100 calorie popcorn) but here's the link for a few ideas:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/10-foods-boost-your-brainpower
  • shanitomorrow
    shanitomorrow Posts: 64 Member
    Options

A stick of celery is nice with a centre of peanut butter - although maybe a bit messy for carrying around :)

How about some dried fruit, a handful of nuts, fruit loaf (usually moist enough to eat without any spread, likewise malt loaf), bread sticks ... As well as other fresh fruits like apples.

Homemade cakes and muffins are good, too - I started making bread pudding to take to work for an afternoon snack.

And then there are those individual Philadelphia chocolate spread pots.
  • EpitomeOfSxy
    EpitomeOfSxy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I bring apple slices, raw veggies or Greek yogurt with frozen berries (keeps it cool in my bag).
  • kb9222
    kb9222 Posts: 42
    Options

haha I think I'm just being paranoid but I feel like it takes up a lot of my calories intake and doesn't really keep me that full
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I used to just drink lots of coffee, and now I still do! I'm not at uni, but I am a teacher which requires hours sitting doing planning and marking.

Apple and peanut butter is a good snack. I like cucumber with cottage cheese too, or almonds.
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    If you are REALLY hungry, eat more protein at lunch.

You're probably not though. You've likely conditioned yourself to snack when studying. It's a security blanket of sorts.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Actually, bananas are a GREAT post workout snack, especially if you suffer from DOMS - the potassium will help with those sore muscles!

I have an apple with PB2 sometimes - I get the peanut butter without the calories. Sometimes I'll have some cottage cheese. And if I'm on the run, I'll have a Quest or Clif bar, depending on what's available in the pantry (this week it's Clif bars, the "builder" ones).

Light string cheese is also good, too.
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Actually, bananas are a GREAT post workout snack, especially if you suffer from DOMS - the potassium will help with those sore muscles! And they keep me pretty alert, too - I call them "brain food" :drinker:

I have an apple with PB2 sometimes - I get the peanut butter without the calories. Sometimes I'll have some cottage cheese. And if I'm on the run, I'll have a Quest or Clif bar, depending on what's available in the pantry (this week it's Clif bars, the "builder" ones).

Light string cheese is also good, too.

Blah, double posts suck :)
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Proper breakfast to keep you full until lunch, then filling enough a lunch, then a banana, then dinner. You might want to look over the macros of breakfast and lunch? A banana really isn't an insane amount of calories and is just about as easy as it gets to transport as well.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    It isn't any secret that stress could send your hungry signals into overdrive so make sure you are truly hungry and not stressed over college. If you are truly hunger then plan whatever foods you enjoy at home and toss into your backpack. You should also keep a water bottle with you on campus.

Snacks:

Boiled eggs
    Egg or chicken salad
    Low sodium trail mix
    Protein/Fiber bars
    Cheese blocks/sticks
    Crackers
    Fruits
    Veggies
    Popcorn
    Peanut butter/jelly sandwich
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I used to snack when studying because I liked the oral fixation piece of it. I would either eat cherries and work the fruit off of the pit or baby carrots and split them with my teeth and try to extract the core. I hope that makes sense...

If you're really hungry, eat something with protein or eat more protein with your meals. If you just want to munch, try something low in calories (easier to work in) or just make it your planned snack time.
  • SabrinaLily
    Options
    I used to snack when studying because I liked the oral fixation piece of it. I would either eat cherries and work the fruit off of the pit or baby carrots and split them with my teeth and try to extract the core. I hope that makes sense...

That's a great tip and a great snack! I used to do sunflower seeds but I ate SOOOOOOOO many, it wasn't a healthy snack any more. Thanks for the tip for those of us who needs food to keep busy!
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Small containers of yogurt. They will be fine unrefrigerated for half a day, and they are high protein (especially "Greek" yogurt) so they're nicely filling.