any weight loss by just walking and eating healthy?

Options
124»

Replies

• Laharv3
    Laharv3 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Started off walking 1 mile, 6 days a week and I changed my diet. 8 months later I still have an ok diet and I walk at least 3 miles a day and I have lost 45lbs. So it can definitely be done. Keep up the good work.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    YOU are the success story. Doing exactly what you are doing, you will lose weight. A calorie deficit along with walking works. I started at the beginning of July and as of two days ago, the scale says I have lost 17.2 pounds. If you get a good pedometer or just keep time, you can measure how many calories you burn during your walks . Then you can eat those calories back which is always a plus!
  • lesleychev
    lesleychev Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. First time round I lost loads but it crept back on plus some. This time however I have help with the walking in the form of a 15 month old greyhound who needs two good walks a day. This along with a better diet and logging on here it's shifting again. I think the walking just gives me motivation to keep going.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Walking it very very under rated but it is a great thing.

It does not get all the glory that running does, but in many ways it is better than running ... as you are much much less likely to get injured doing it.

So .. have fun and keep walking.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I only started walking 3 months after starting a calorie deficit. I've only just joined a gym because the walking wasn't enough to burn all my new excess energy, winter's coming and I wanted to build some muscle to protect my joints. It was my reward for reaching my upper weight loss milestone. I'll start running when my knee recovers from surgery in a couple of months.

I only started walking because I enjoy it and it helps my lower back which can get stiff and painful sometimes, but I've developed some quite impressive leg strength which is a bonus!
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise, but you need to do a lot of it. Walk 21 miles a week for weight loss (about 3 miles a day). That's about an hour a day if you're a slow walker like me.

You still need to watch your calories. You can't outwalk a bad diet.
  • AndyRogan
    AndyRogan Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My first 30lb was walking and eating better, and as I lost it I found myself going from pushing 2 miles a day to 8+ miles a day, wanting to do more
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    im new on here could you help me try to lose weight or give me tips on walking to lose weight

It all depends on how much & how fast you want to lose. Use the calculator, figure out your daily caloric needs to maintain your weight. You only need to eat 500 calories less per day to lose one pound per week. There are plenty of apps for your smartphone (asuming you have one) that will tell you how many calories you burn walking, running, jogging, etc.

And don't fall into the trap of thinking one pound a week isn't much or enough. Pick up something that weighs one pound and realize you cut that heft from your body. One short year at one pound a week is 52 lbs!

As for walking, I use my Samsung Gear 2 Neo to keep track of my steps with a goal of 6000 steps per day. Some days I go way over (10,000+), some days I'm way under.

Don't go into it all gung-ho thinking "I have to lose 10 lbs!!!" or whatever your final goal is. Make a lifestyle change that includes exercise (walking is fine), making healthier food decisions and counting your calories to reach your goals.
  • anorrisdyer
    anorrisdyer Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've just been walking and using the stationary bike, (low effort for 35 minutes), and cut out some fat, mostly my absurd cheese intake, and the only "processed" food I have been eating is my gluten free bread, and I have lost 10lbs in 2.5 weeks. :D

So, yes, walking and a change in diet can cause weight loss.
  • TheWorstHorse
    Options
    im new on here could you help me try to lose weight or give me tips on walking to lose weight

there's a bunch of basic material on the forums if you search on "sexy pants" (don't ask, just trust me on this) that will tell you how it works for almost everyone*: eat at a slight calorie deficit and shoot to lose a pound a week. exercise for the health and fitness benefits but don't count on it to lose weight; how you eat is a much bigger factor. think of it this way, one au bon pain oatmeal cookie is about three hundred calories, or forty to sixty minutes on a treadmill.

good luck!

*almost everyone means that if you don't have a metabolic disorder or one of a small number of diseases, this is how weight loss happens.
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I watch what I eat...lots of fresh fruits/veggies, healthy complex carbs, lean protein. Most of my exercise up until the last few weeks has been walking. I started out slow and gradually increased both speed and distance. I do add Pilates a couple of days a week for toning.

A few weeks ago I started running for part of my walk. I alternate running short distances during my walking. I am gradually increasing the running time.

Keep going...you're doing great!

22975671.png
  • PrettyPearl88
    PrettyPearl88 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50 lbs and while I did run and lift weights as well, I didn't start that until near the end of my weight loss journey. I lost the first 35-40 lbs by simply eating healthier, tracking my calories, moving more throughout the day and trying not to stay sedentary, and brisk walking for 30-60 minutes most days of the week. It's totally possible! Good luck!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I lost almost all my weight just doing that and then switching to running once I could. I regret not lifting back then though

^^^This

Most of my weight was lost on cardio and nutrition alone. then my body 'craved' more (strength/weights). i regret not incorporating from the beginning, however, we cannot change the past, only look forward. also keep in mind that incorporating weights at the beginning will help decrease loose/saggy skin when you do lose all that weight. just something to think about.
  • stephyj528
    stephyj528 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    great job!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!