Self-hate tips?

Options

Replies

• malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Self-hate has become my personality. It's pretty pathetic, but it's true. I know just how you feel--I hate every part of my body at this point. I'm also not a fan of the other aspects of my life, but that's irrelevant. If you find the solution, let me know. For me therapy didn't help as much as I wanted it to. I didn't like the strategies the therapist suggested.

Good luck!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to tell you to ignore the things you don't like about yourself when you look in the mirror. Instead, (and I know it's kind of cheesy) try making a conscious effort to say nice things about yourself. Talk to and about yourself the way you would talk to or about someone that you really care about. It may seem empty at first, but setting up a routine of positive self-talk is a step in the right direction over constant negative self-talk, and you may find that you start to mean what you say after awhile.

My other suggestion is also something that you already mentioned - focusing on what your body can do rather than what it looks like. It may not be a source of instant gratification, because I know that sometimes when we feel out of shape, we might not feel like our bodies are at their most capable. So try setting small fitness goals that are important to you (for me, it was things like doing my first military-style push-up and running my first mile non-stop). As you work toward accomplishing these things, your body will become noticeably more capable, and you will probably notice physical changes as well. Another interesting side effect of setting and accomplishing goals is in one of my favorite quotes that an MFP friend has posted on her profile (shout out to itsfuntobenormal!): "what you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals." Profound mental changes can happen when you push yourself out of your comfort zone and prove to yourself that you can do things you didn't know you could do. :smile:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    What about spending some times focusing on what your body can do instead of what it looks like? Do you have any fitness goals? Walking/running a 5k? Do you lift weights? I think a body that can pick 150+ pounds off the ground is awesome no matter what it looks like. Think about individuals who cannot due things you can due to disability or injury. Appreciate that you body is healthy and capable. This is your body. The only one you'll ever get. You have to appreciate it.

+1 to this also!!!
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    September was my month to love/like my body :smile:

I decided that I was spending way to much time being unhappy about how my body looked. When I was heavier I probably spent less time looking in the mirror or I just accepted things they way they were - of course with the little nagging thoughts that 'if that were smaller I would so much better' or 'if I could just get rid of that, clothes would fit so much better!' Now what those things are gone and I look in the mirror a lot more but it is the same thoughts just about new things :frown:

During the month of September I actually spent more time in the house in my underwear, just doing the things I normally would do (be cautious with cooking and playing with a kitten), this gave me some time to really "see" the changes and how much less of me there is. I have some saggy skin and stretch marks - but that is right now part of me and who I am :love:

I have taken a lot of photos during this process and looking back at them and being able to say no, not happy there, nope not satisfied there means I could be happy here or at the next phase but either way it is still me and I do not want to go back to 244 lbs, or feeling bad health wise, etc. I believe that a satisfied time will come, I think we may have ideas about what we want and think we should look like but the reality is that even looking at someone that we may think of as having the perfect body, they have some issue as well - more than likely we would not be able to see it but it is real to them.

Celebrate what you like and camouflage what you don't - I have flat stomach and a small waist that my co-workers hate about me and I have some items that accentuate this for those days when I need that. I also agree with Justamom410, it is equally as important to celebrate your health and performance.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I feel you...
    :ohwell:
    And the way my self hate manifested was lashing out unkindly at others who were overweight. I still struggle with this. I hated myself fat. I hated myself for letting my health just go to pot
    I have no quick cure, but over time my love for others has been re-cultivated, because my love of myself has returned. It's been 3 years since I lost the weight, and over that time my attitudes have transformed.
    There is no reason to wait. Love yourself now even though things are not perfect. Part of the rewards we receive come from the joys of the journey - not just the obvious dividend of reaching a hard won fitness goal.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Look in the mirror, and literally tell yourself how you have succeeded so far.
    dont-hate-congratulate-T-Shirts.jpg
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing the mirror thing wrong, because it really did work for a lot of people I know. The first time a lot of them do it, it takes a good 10-30 minutes for them to find something, but it does get them thinking about things they like.

The thing you like about yourself doesn't have to be a body part. It can be something miniscule like "hey, my freckles are pretty cute" or "that mole is in a really interesting place and I think it looks nice" or "while my legs are kind of chubby, they still look super nice in tights" or "wow, my butt is like super round" or "my eyes are a really beautiful color" or "I picked this shirt out and it really looks good on me/it's really cool" or "the way I chose to do my hair is really nice, I'm pretty talented" - things like that.

Like, I know my everything is sort of chubby about me right now (I keep getting injured mid-weightloss and gaining it all back plus some extra) but when I make myself focus on my cute freckles or the awesome job I did on painting my own nails or how great my butt looks in leggings, it gets a lot more difficult to hate myself.

Maybe ridiculous things to anyone else, but it just has to hit you positively. And after the first one, they get easier to see. Promise.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't have any self-hate tips; I stopped mistreating myself emotionally years ago. Accepting and loving the good and bad about yourself regardless of where you are in life is an internal choice. One lesson I learned a long time ago is to stop trying to become something I wasn't meant to be [i.e. slim and 125 lbs] I just don't have the body type to get there. I nurture the body I have the best I can regardless of what other people have to say about it. If they don't like it and have issues about my looks or body size, that's their problem, not mine.
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    You might want to look into Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, self-help books. Negative self talk is an expanding cycle that will continue to bring you down, if you don't learn techniques to deal with it.

I'll echo Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. It's a great way of challenging negative views of the world and has done wonders for a close family member.

Sam
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, self-loathing, I am quite familiar with.

Here's what I can tell you: I just celebrated my 43rd birthday, and when I look back at photos of myself 10-15 years ago, I didn't look too bad, although I didn't see it at the time, because I was so focused on what was wrong and never saw what was right.

So now, not only am I still overweight but I'm older. The weight I can work on; the years and the time I wasted I will never get back.
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Oh. I thought this thread was going to ask for tips on how to be really hateful and mean to yourself. How to come up with high five worthy self put downs.

I have a lifetime of experience to share.
  • jaggerjia
    Options
    Read the book "Buddha's Brain" by Rick Hansen. It's less than $20 on many websites and bookstores and is available on ereaders and audio book if you prefer either of those. It had a PROFOUND impact for me!
  • setaylor86080
    setaylor86080 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Personally the thing that has helped me the most is to measure myself. I do it every month. That way although I might hate what I see in the mirror the numbers don't lie. I go down inches every time I have done it. I know I am getting thinner even if I cant see it all the time. I hope that helps
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    TL;DR - change your self-talk. You DO have a choice!

My adult daughter and I had the exact same feeling. And as we lost our first 5 and then 10 lbs, it actually got WORSE! I forget which one of us mentioned it, but we had a good laugh together. It's like, I've done all this work, and I'm still in this HORRID place! I joke that I want to have my 60-lbs-lighter body NOW on a sort of loan, where I have to keep doing the work. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I'm being honest here.

I was seriously angry for a while over this, and angry AND embarrassed about that!

What finally worked was a change in attitude. I asked myself how things are different when I'm at a normal weight (for me). I'm a little more active, a little more careful with my appearance, and I'm not constantly sniping at myself about how I look and how I'm a failure if I overindulge in food or don't workout to the point of feeling queasy.

Then I thought about WHY I want to lose weight - and it has more to do with *feeling good* when I do stuff - being able to jog up stairs without huffing & puffing, for example. Sure, looking good is a nice added benefit, but the key for me (YMMV) is how I *feel*. I live in my body, but don't often look at it!

I decided to (as much as possible) quit looking at myself for now. I haven't covered up mirrors or anything, but I'm just kind of tuning out beyond what's needed for applying makeup, for example, or checking hem evenness. I resolutely refuse to focus on what I don't like. It's unproductive to look for 6-pack abs right now, for example. So why cut myself down? How does that help?

Instead, I focus on who I *AM* - an active healthy person. So I have been walking and hiking - now up to 10+ miles! I'm *improving* my eating habits because that's just part of being healthy, right? Nothing radical, just trying to make sure that carb macro includes some veggies and fruits (I kid you not).

I know it sounds weird, but it's a little like learning some dance steps. Instead of trying to control every movement of every limb in *this specific sequence,* sometimes it works better to just let go, move, and let your body sort it out. Often, it DOES!

I'm not the speediest person at this weightloss thing...but I can say that I have not had one single "yo-yo" experience since making this psychological adjustment. I have faith in who I am, and the little changes are sticking and adding up over time. And I'm MUCH healthier now than when I started, too. I like that a LOT.

Am I *excited* about how I look yet? No. But I was damned happy to see 4 clothing sizes drop, and it's gotten a lot easier over time to not pick apart my appearance. We all have control over how we talk to ourselves, and if you realize the conversation is negative, figure out a way to change it.

HTH
  • dressandtights
    dressandtights Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    It's okay to hate fat, and it's harder than people say to separate hating your fat from hating yourself. I often end up piling on MORE self-hate because I'm aware of my self-hate and feel like I should be "stronger" and more enlightened than that. My opinion? Some of us are just more negative thinkers, and I don't think that's always a bad thing. In many ways it can be a sign of intelligence. You're under no illusions about your body, and that's something you can use to keep yourself accountable and succeed.

As far as feeling a little less self-hatey in the meantime, I have to agree with other replies that pouring your energy into fitness will make you a lot more comfortable in your own skin. I keep a lot of fat in my middle section and breasts, so I understand how you feel when you're sitting and all you can focus on is your stomach rolls and body folds. When I exercise rigorously in the morning and eat light meals, my body immediately feels more comfortable. My anxiety goes down--part of the cause of negative thoughts about my body--and I find I can actually focus on things other than my body. Push yourself physically in your exercise routine to see how hard/fast you can go. You may find you're stronger than you thought and that can give you confidence to step up your routine. I'd also recommend spending a good time stretching your body out after workouts to feel more comfortable and release tension.
  • fallenangel316
    Options
    Someone once taught me a trick when i was in the same situation as you. At first i thought this was stupid but after about a month it started to work and now i love who i am regardless of what others say..

Every morning - WITHOUT FAIL - get up, look into the mirror and say to yourself "i am beautiful, i am aweome and i AM worth it". that's it.. nothing else. Don't add anything like "yeah right" just say that sentence and smile and walk away. Even if you don't believe it just keep doing it.. everyday. Eventually you will believe it cause you are beautiful, awesome and worth it.

Worked for me hopefully it will work for you.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    For some people, positive thoughts, reinforcement, whatever....keeps them going. For others, it's the opposite. Maybe you can use those thoughts to your advantage and change it. I'm the same way. I wasn't overweight at all, but I was wasn't happy with myself. I'd look in the mirror, think "you look like *kitten*" and that was my motivation. It doesn't have to sabotage your goals if you don't let it.
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    When you find yourself being internally negative, ask yourself this question:

Would I treat someone else the way I treat myself?

If you would say those things to your best friend, your spouse, your child, then it might be helpful or constructive criticism. If not, maybe you need to remind yourself that you deserve better.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    OK so I’m looking for real advice.

You have SOOOOOO come to the right place then.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    This may seem trite, but for me it honestly is always learning to appreciate what my body can do, which means focusing not just on losing weight, but on physical fitness. Both this time and the one other time I lost a good bit of weight (I did maintain for quite a while), as well as the other times in my life I've been exercising regularly I found that there came a time when I just became more confident in my body (I may not have thought it was super great, but I didn't care so much, I was happy with it and what it could do). It usually happens relatively quickly after I start making some progress both in losing weight and, more significantly, in making fitness improvements.

In particular, both times I lost weight I found (and maybe I'm just lucky) that I was quite a bit happier with myself at the same weights that had distressed me when I'd been at them before. Part of this was feeling more in control, because I was in the process of losing, and part just the comparison, of course, but a huge part was knowing what I could do, the fitness aspect.

I also find that focusing on fitness makes me less worried about a particular look and more interested in longterm improvement and functionality, and also seems to affect what looks good to me. Like I'm definitely positive about athletic bodies generally, with a much broader range of sizes than I would have considered appealing back in my early 20s when I was 125 and thought I was too fat (and really could have been more fit).