What does "bump" mean?

Options
I've been looking trough these forums and keep seeing people say "bump." What does that mean?

Replies

• mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I've been looking trough these forums and keep seeing people say "bump." What does that mean?

They're typing in a word so that the site will save the topic under "My Topics" and can be read later. I assume any word will work.

I think "bump" is stupid.
  • Empress62
    Empress62 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Also an update 'bumps' up the last updated time stamp for the subject, and for lists sorted in last updated order, 'bumps' them to the top of the list.
  • emilynyman97
    Options
    Bump means you 2want others to read that post.
    on tm people bump things to keep them updated on the home page for others to read.
    I only do it when i think and article is worthy of it
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    bump...
  • Alice_Liddell
    Options
    This is the only forum of which I have been a member where "bump" means this. Everywhere else, it means "bring up my post," which means that it goes to the top of the recent posts so more people can see it/respond without having to dig through other threads.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    Bring
    Up
    My
    On most forums it's used as a way to knock a topic back to the front page either because it hasn't gotten any replies yet or they want to keep it seen for whatever reason. On MFP it's most often used as a bookmarking technique for when people don't have time to read the topic but want to later or want to have a way to come back to it via their post history. The original intent is still used, but that's generally what people abuse it for.

Why no one actually bookmarks threads in their browsers or leaves it open in a separate tab is beyond me.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    The responses above are kind of right... Bump is an acronym for "Bring Up My Post". As you'll notice on forums only the most current or recently posted threads stay on the first page. If you have a question that goes unanswered or others would like to know as well they can "bump" your thread up to the front page where it has the greatest chance of being seen or answered.

Many people on myfitnesspal think it's what you post when you want to view the thread later for responses by seeing "my topics", however, that is wrong. :)

I.e. do not "bump" a thread that has been resolved or responded to months ago just because you want to read it later. You may see that every now and then when a "dead thread" comes back on the first page out of nowhere.

Best of luck!
  • Ian159
    Ian159 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!
  • schakiiiii
    schakiiiii Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    bump ?
  • Motivatedin20131969
    Motivatedin20131969 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking that question. I also am wonder what NSV means?
  • xxmarysmxx
    xxmarysmxx Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Ok.. have never heard of "bump" Now I know...
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can't figure out what something means, I google it. Works like a charm!
  • ceksnlk0428
    Options
    NSV: Non Scale Victory

Usually when someone notices your progress without you weighing in. Or clothing fitting differently...that's your NSV for the day or week. Good luck!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking because I was wondering the same thing!
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Thank you for asking that question. I also am wonder what NSV means?

N - Non
    S - Scale
    V - Victory

Any weight loss related victory you have gained that is not related to the number on the scale.
  • MsDellyssa
    MsDellyssa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    NSV: Non Scale Victory

Usually when someone notices your progress without you weighing in. Or clothing fitting differently...that's your NSV for the day or week. Good luck!

I like that. I have many non scale goals I want to achieve. I think I will be adding this term to my vocabulary.. lol
  • bs240z
    bs240z Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    fist bump?
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    It's another word for punt. Meaning I have nothing to say at this time but I did read the post.