Treadmill broken/ Depressed. Advice please?

Options

Replies

• Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am one of the seemingly few people that prefer the treadmill to walking/running outside.

I am able to keep a more steady pace and since I have had some trouble with my feet I like the smooth, even surface.

Fitness Blender is a great website for workouts. I know I was without a treadmill for about a week but I made sure to keep my eating in check and I found other ways to work out. I didn't gain that week :smile:

You will probably have regular ups and downs so don't get discouraged.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Jump rope?

Hula hoop?
  • SWEETMAY84
    SWEETMAY84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    why don't you see if the company will fix it or replace it for you? Just a few weeks in and its broken? warranty? =/
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    My treadmill broke earlier this spring.

Since I can't suggest walking or running outside....try some fitness videos.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Fitness blender is really good.

Also, if you subscribe to anything like Netflix or Amazon prime video, there are workouts on there that you can look up and do. I've found Jillian Michaels and Denise Austin on prime...i found other stuff on Netflix but can't remember what it was, since i found i like Jillian Michaels best and typically just stick with her stuff. Might be some ink YouTube, too, but i haven't checked that.

But as another person pointed out, too, if you stay in a caloric deficit, you won't gain the weight back. Also, i have some nasty social anxiety, and when i started onto this journey, i wouldn't do anything except work out at home when no one else was around...and now, just recently, i got the whole family a membership to the YMCA. :D keep doing what you're doing and it may impact how you feel in many, many ways. Good luck!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Or just turn on your radio to something upbeat and walk in place.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Dance around. In college we used to march in place while watching TV or just hanging out.
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    go outside if the weather allows. Otherwisw either exercise tapes or go online and you can get some really good exercise ideas.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics,mdancing around the house, exercise tapes (cheap on eBay!)...there are so many things you can do in the house. Keep going. Don't let the lack of a treadmill get you down. :)
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Can you walk around in the mall? A lot of people do that for exercise. Also, if you are only eating 1000 calories, that may be too low. Usually it's best not to go below 1200. For me at 225 lbs, 1800-2000 is my range.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Can you walk around in the mall? A lot of people do that for exercise. Also, if you are only eating 1000 calories, that may be too low. Usually it's best not to go below 1200. For me at 225 lbs, 1800-2000 is my range.

I think that she meant that she has a 1000 calorie deficit, not that she is eating 1000 calories.
  • desidieter
    Options
    Thank you. My calorie deficit is usually still around 1000 even when I do not exercise so that is comforting. Thank you for the suggestion. I will defiantly look into that.

Wait, your DEFICIT is around 1000? Or you're consuming 1000 calories per day? I'm no expert, but a 1000-calorie deficit sounds potentially harmful. And only consuming 1000 a day is not a good idea, either. I think the recommended is typically 300-500 calories for a deficit, which I think puts you at .5 to 1 lbs loss per week. Then again, I don't know your stats, so I can't say for sure whether or not your deficit is too aggressive. Just be careful that you're not under-eating, though. Figure out a reasonable deficit for yourself, because that way, it will be sustainable and you won't run into other health problems (like fatigue, slowed metabolism, body storing fat because its under-nourished, etc.).
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but why is walking outside not an option? Do you live in the middle of Sudan or Syria or something?
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Thank you. My calorie deficit is usually still around 1000 even when I do not exercise so that is comforting. Thank you for the suggestion. I will defiantly look into that.

Wait, your DEFICIT is around 1000? Or you're consuming 1000 calories per day? I'm no expert, but a 1000-calorie deficit sounds potentially harmful. And only consuming 1000 a day is not a good idea, either. I think the recommended is typically 300-500 calories for a deficit, which I think puts you at .5 to 1 lbs loss per week. Then again, I don't know your stats, so I can't say for sure whether or not your deficit is too aggressive. Just be careful that you're not under-eating, though. Figure out a reasonable deficit for yourself, because that way, it will be sustainable and you won't run into other health problems (like fatigue, slowed metabolism, body storing fat because its under-nourished, etc.).

A daily 1000 calorie deficit is theoretically 2 lbs a week. Not "potentially harmful" at all for someone who needs to lose 73 lbs.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise videos are great as well as my elliptical, but that broke on me. I am agoraphobic, so the gym is out of the question and I can walk outdoors, but it has to be in my yard and I do it, but I do it in laps.
    We all have our battles. Don't judge others folks.
  • CharlotteMayBG
    CharlotteMayBG Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    You definitely know what you're doing... so I wouldn't worry about it. you lost weight before the treadmill and you will now that it's broken.

I love my treadmill. We have snow 6 months out of the year, and I have seasonal allergies, so running outside is NOT fun. Plus, where I go, my kids go, and staying inside with them is much easier than running with a double jogging stroller. Trust me.

As far as workout videos, Leslie Sansone is awesome.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    For me, exercise videos are great as well as my elliptical, but that broke on me. I am agoraphobic, so the gym is out of the question and I can walk outdoors, but it has to be in my yard and I do it, but I do it in laps.
    We all have our battles. Don't judge others folks.

^This.

OP, I was having so much fun on C25k and then my plantar fascitis went from mild to REALLY bad - I'm staying off my feet as much as possible at the moment - so I feel your pain. :flowerforyou: I'm afraid I'll lose my momentum, and I'm sort of bummed out to not be able to exercise much.

If you're used to the extra calories and miss having those to eat, you can always change your settings to a lower deficit (500 cal would still be 1 lb/wk loss, or split the difference and do 750) until the treadmill is fixed. Or check out the suggestions already made - fitnessblender/Amazon Prime/Netflix/etc. I know Fitnessblender has a ton of stuff - they even have an "upstairs apartment" workout I've used more than once.
  • LazyCatPame
    LazyCatPame Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Go and run outside... Get a timer, earbuds and a good CD and enjoy the sun (or the clouds if you prefer them).
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    That is a really good suggestion that I have never thought of. Are there any good ones on youtube? That you could recommend? Defiantly something low intensity. I am still a beginner.

walk away the pounds by leslie sansone. youtube has them full length free and all you need is a pair of shoes, you can add hand weights and other accessories to make it more challenging too.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    There are TONS of fitness videos for free on Youtube from Cardio to strength and from Zumba to Yoga. The options are pretty much endless! Some youtube channels you can check out are: Fitness Blender, Efit 30, Be Fit, Exercise tv...Just to name a few. Also, check out some exercise DVD's. If money is an issue, most libraries have exercise dvd's.

Don't fret. You won't gain your weight back. Just stay within your calorie range and get some exercise in, you'll be fine! :)