More reps or more weight?

Options
Jla408
Jla408 Posts: 1,830 Member
Hey everyone,
Quick question for you. I am looking to lose weight, and start building some muscle and was wondering what works better. Should I do less reps with more weight or more reps with less weight? I've been hearing both and just want to know what way worked for you.
Thanks, and happy exercising.
Jessica

Replies

• stupidloser
    stupidloser Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I prefer a weight that allows me to do at least 15-20 reps versus a heavier weight with only 10-12 reps. Selecting a weight that allows me to do 5 more reps will increase the time my muscle is under tension. Not to mention, a weight that is so heavy where you can only do 7-8 reps is usually a weight that you cannot lift in a controlled mannered. Proper technique is important.
  • Danwantsskinniness
    Options
    Strength building primarily occurs within the 3-6 rep range, best with 3-6 sets per exercise. Hypertrophy of the muscle, which is what causes increased muscle size is most common in the 8-12 rep range with 3-4 sets per exercise. Anything above 12 reps, except for certain muscle groups will be endurance training and not build much strength. Advice would be to go with a heavier weight and lower reps if focusing on getting the most out of your workouts. Too often, people will think that high volume, lower weight will help them reach there goals, but it is not the case for many of them.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I prefer a weight that allows me to do at least 15-20 reps versus a heavier weight with only 10-12 reps. Selecting a weight that allows me to do 5 more reps will increase the time my muscle is under tension. Not to mention, a weight that is so heavy where you can only do 7-8 reps is usually a weight that you cannot lift in a controlled mannered. Proper technique is important.

You can absolutely lift heavy in a controlled manner. Always warm up first, but to say that you can't lift in the 5 - 12 rep range in a controlled manner is ridiculous. OP, the only real reason you'd want to use weight that allows you to rep into the 20 rep range would be if you were training for some sort of endurance competition where that sort of training would be beneficial. If your number one goal is muscle, then you should use weight that causes positive failure in the 8-12 rep range. If your number one goal is to get stronger, then you should use weight that causes positive failure in the 1-7 rep range.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Strength building primarily occurs within the 3-6 rep range, best with 3-6 sets per exercise. Hypertrophy of the muscle, which is what causes increased muscle size is most common in the 8-12 rep range with 3-4 sets per exercise. Anything above 12 reps, except for certain muscle groups will be endurance training and not build much strength. Advice would be to go with a heavier weight and lower reps if focusing on getting the most out of your workouts. Too often, people will think that high volume, lower weight will help them reach there goals, but it is not the case for many of them.
    Correct answer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

You can absolutely lift heavy in a controlled manner. Always warm up first, but to say that you can't lift in the 5 - 12 rep range in a controlled manner is ridiculous. OP, the only real reason you'd want to use weight that allows you to rep into the 20 rep range would be if you were training for some sort of endurance competition where that sort of training would be beneficial. If your number one goal is muscle, then you should use weight that causes positive failure in the 8-12 rep range. If your number one goal is to get stronger, then you should use weight that causes positive failure in the 1-7 rep range.

^^^^This....

Reps up towards 20 is pure endurance. Personally I was following stronglifts 5x5 (switching to 5/3/1), strength has increased, jean size has decreased and body parts are disobeying gravity more to my liking. Compound lift (bench, ohp, rows, squats, deads...there are other) reps are great at low rep 1-7. For isolation (accessory lifts) I normally do in the 8-12 range.

When I started I didn't use a program (big mistake, stronglifts is what got me results). I would do my compound lifts and up my weight if I could get 8 reps before failure, even if I could only get the increased weight up 3x. This worked, but I did much more work than needed and progress was much slower. Programs keep it easy.

For weight loss, it's all about the calories. The lifting helps me maintain the muscle I have while in a deficient, shape my body (lift booty) and gives me goals and pride in my strength. Exercise is for fitness.

As for the proper technique comment. Yep, it is extremely important... That is why programs like stronglifts start you off light and you progress. I also find form easier at the heavier weights....they demand my focus and I feel immediately if anything is off. On light weights I get distracted and they do not stress my muscles enough to cause my mind to zero in on the exact muscles I am using. This is actually called something, it is the mind-muscle connection... but I can't recall the proper term.

You also will NOT get bulky or manly from lifting heavy if you choose to. That takes a lot of intentional work for everyone, women it is harder and damn near impossible to do without having it as a goal.

Good Luck OP on whatever you choose, just make sure you enjoy it...it's the only way to make sure you make it a part of your life and stick to it.

Eta...OP, while losing fat by eating in a deficient, you are unlikely to 'build muscle'. While eating under TDEE the goal of weight lifting is to keep what muscle you have. Without lifting you would most likely lose muscle as well as fat and it is much harder to gain muscle than to keep what you have. There are what's called 'newb gains' but they are small and a short lived phenomenon. To build muscle most bulk by eating above TDEE others take a very slow, meticulous approach and recomp their bodies by eating at TDEE and lifting.
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sounds like we have similar goals! I go to the gym and do 40 mins of cardio to really burn the calories, then go on weight training. I do 3 sets 1x20 1x15 1x10 reps increasing the weight by 5 on each rep with the aim of increasing starting weight as I get stronger! It is working for me! Good luck!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ...a weight that is so heavy where you can only do 7-8 reps is usually a weight that you cannot lift in a controlled mannered...

Strongly disagree with this statement. Weight training did very little for me until I switched to low reps, high weight. I think you should stop adding weight when your form breaks down, but why would your form break down at 7-8 reps? That's silly.
  • jimvic37
    Options
    Best is to do both. Never get yourself hung up with a routine but rather use constantly varied workouts. That way you keep the body guessing and you get the best of both worlds. Same is true as far as should you do cardio vs weight training? Again mix it up your body will appreciate it and you won't get bored.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Not to mention, a weight that is so heavy where you can only do 7-8 reps is usually a weight that you cannot lift in a controlled mannered. Proper technique is important.

LOL...there are tons and tons and tons of people who work in the in the 1-6 rep range which is optimal for building strength...I would be one of them and my form is excellent.

OP, it depends on your goals (not your weight loss goals...your fitness and lifting goals).

Rep 1-6: Optimal strength range
    Rep 8-12: Optimal hypertrophy range.
    Rep 12+ Muscular Endurance

I personally work in all of those rep ranges depending on the lift. As a matter of general fitness you don't need to get too hung up here. I do my primary compounds (squats, deads, bench, OH Press, Cleans) in the lower rep range. I do most of my accessory work in the 8-12 rep range and a few exercises like lunges and body weight work in the muscular endurance range.

Your best bet is to really adopt an actual program and go with that...you have to have a good deal of knowledge to program your own routine.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    Quick question for you. I am looking to lose weight, and start building some muscle and was wondering what works better. Should I do less reps with more weight or more reps with less weight? I've been hearing both and just want to know what way worked for you.
    Thanks, and happy exercising.
    Jessica

Hi Jessica, You can build strength while losing weight, but you cannot build muscle while on a deficit.

Advise to go with strength training. Using a program like stronglift 5x5 will give you fantastic results of strength.

This is correct.
  • Ethereal_Whisper
    Ethereal_Whisper Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    what about trying a 10x8x6x4 training plan? (lower weight 10 reps, add more weight for 8, add even more for 6, and the heaviest you can do 4 reps)

or, basically the same thing: 8x6x4x2
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Best is to do both. Never get yourself hung up with a routine but rather use constantly varied workouts. That way you keep the body guessing and you get the best of both worlds. Same is true as far as should you do cardio vs weight training? Again mix it up your body will appreciate it and you won't get bored.

LOL
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ...a weight that is so heavy where you can only do 7-8 reps is usually a weight that you cannot lift in a controlled mannered...

Strongly disagree with this statement. Weight training did very little for me until I switched to low reps, high weight. I think you should stop adding weight when your form breaks down, but why would your form break down at 7-8 reps? That's silly.

Yeah, seriously, I can lift at 90-95% of my 1RM and keep form and control. Anyone saying different just has suck form and needs to work on buttoning that up.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Proper form is very important. This is why heavy lifting programs start you out with a weight that is easy and able to practice your form. Not to mention you just because I'm only doing 5 reps or 3 reps per set, doesn't mean I couldn't do more, I'm utilizing the program under a controlled manner to get my body use to heavier weights with proper form.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Right.

The main reason we strength train while losing is to retain muscle. The "strength" rep ranges have been shown to be best for this.