Massive over estimation on gym equipment for cals burned!

Options
Hi All

I am pretty new to the site, and i know as a newbie I have read all the threads with great interest, and I saw one about not trusting the calories I was burning at the gym as the machines ( and mfp ) can be a little on the generous side.

Well i bought a polar T4 heart rate monitor, and used it for the first time yesterday, and i was horrified that the treadmill said 600 cals burned, and my heart rate monitor was 240! So for the last few weeks I have been massively misjudging the calories I have been burning, Luckily i have still been losing the weight, but on some days i have eaten back my burned calories, which now turns out would actually be a massive over eat!

So really this is just a warning to the other newbies out there, who might be struggling and busting their butts at the gym, just be really careful of the calories you think you are burning.

I know this will be old news to most people, but just thought it might help as one newbie to another to keep us on the right path.

Replies

• absurdic
    absurdic Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi, some gym equipment can indeed over estimate but I must say that it is by far more common that people don't enter their weight :)
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I am pretty new to the site, and i know as a newbie I have read all the threads with great interest, and I saw one about not trusting the calories I was burning at the gym as the machines ( and mfp ) can be a little on the generous side.

Well i bought a polar T4 heart rate monitor, and used it for the first time yesterday, and i was horrified that the treadmill said 600 cals burned, and my heart rate monitor was 240! So for the last few weeks I have been massively misjudging the calories I have been burning, Luckily i have still been losing the weight, but on some days i have eaten back my burned calories, which now turns out would actually be a massive over eat!

So really this is just a warning to the other newbies out there, who might be struggling and busting their butts at the gym, just be really careful of the calories you think you are burning.

I know this will be old news to most people, but just thought it might help as one newbie to another to keep us on the right path.

And this is why it's never a good idea to eat back more than 1/2 of calories burned. Electronic devices and MFP are all over the place, and you could easily be overeating your workouts if you eat all calories back.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    So how much exercise did you do for your 600/240 calories?
  • Omanya
    Omanya Posts: 50
    Options
    Hi, some gym equipment can indeed over estimate but I must say that it is by far more common that people don't enter their weight :)
    This. Newer machines, particularly ones in cardio-based gyms, generally will be within 10% accuracy if you enter all the info and do the exercises correctly/as intended.

Some questions:

What brand was the machine you used?

What info did you put in the cardio machine vs the HRM?

Did you keep your hands on the machine's HRM most of the time/did it register your heart rate most of the time?

Usually you won't see a difference that big in newer, commercial gym equipment unless you're not feeding it all the info it needs. However, home gym equipment is typically *much* sloppier.
  • ronnerickson
    ronnerickson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I never eat more than my daily calorie goal no matter how much I exercise. Well, I should not say never because I do go over sometimes. But I keep my cardio and food intake separate. That way any calories you burn during cardio will only further your weight loss. Just my recommendations.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    absurdic wrote: »
    I did enter my weight but that is all the gym treadmill asks for.
  • pinkiezoom
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    So how much exercise did you do for your 600/240 calories?
    Hi I was on the treadmill at a gradient of 10-15 for the full hour and at a speed of 4.5-5 i cant run as i have an ankle injury. I am 5ft 4 and 15st so that is actually quite a work out for me at the moment lol.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    This is why I like using the TDEE method....workout 3-5 days (good strong workouts) per week then that's "moderately active"....minus 20-25%....and there's my calories to hit for the day....no exercise tracking ....just "eat this" ---- done!
  • pinkiezoom
    Options
    Omanya wrote: »
    This. Newer machines, particularly ones in cardio-based gyms, generally will be within 10% accuracy if you enter all the info and do the exercises correctly/as intended.

Some questions:

What brand was the machine you used?

What info did you put in the cardio machine vs the HRM?

Did you keep your hands on the machine's HRM most of the time/did it register your heart rate most of the time?

Usually you won't see a difference that big in newer, commercial gym equipment unless you're not feeding it all the info it needs. However, home gym equipment is typically *much* sloppier.

Hi,
    The brand is cymex i think thats the spelling, but no model number i am afraid lol.
    treadmill just asks for weight nothing else, HRM age, weight height etc ( so assuming it is closer to the real number )

Before the HRM i always held onto the handles so it could read my HR, but my HRM syncs up to the machine for HR now.

The gym is nice but does not have as up to date equipment as my other gym did.

• pinkiezoom
    Options
    I never eat more than my daily calorie goal no matter how much I exercise. Well, I should not say never because I do go over sometimes. But I keep my cardio and food intake separate. That way any calories you burn during cardio will only further your weight loss. Just my recommendations.

I agree with you, i was having to do quite a bit of exercise so I could manage on the low calories MFP suggested i started on, but you can see by my diary i didnt eat all of them back, now i am a bit more confident and in my stride a bit better, I have just increased my daily allowance of calories and wont be working back anything I burn.

• nonisimmons
    Options
    I'm pretty new here too and I've heard that the gym's machine does over estimate your calories burned. I've been trying to just stay within my calorie limits. This site is soooo helpful!
  • pinkiezoom
    Options
    I'm pretty new here too and I've heard that the gym's machine does over estimate your calories burned. I've been trying to just stay within my calorie limits. This site is soooo helpful!

Hi there,
    Yes i agree the site is brilliant, especially for newbies who are just trying to suss it all out :)
    Good luck on your journey.

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    My equipment in my home gym shows me burning less then half what this website shows when I enter the info... So I go with my equipment when I enter. They ask for weight, gender, age and they do heart rate.
  • pinkiezoom
    Options
    My equipment in my home gym shows me burning less then half what this website shows when I enter the info... So I go with my equipment when I enter. They ask for weight, gender, age and they do heart rate.
    I have never used MFP to log my exercise as i read too many posts saying it over estimated, I am trying to not get too OCD about it all, and have decided to just try and not eat any cals back that i burn and that way i will always be good to go lol

• Amyafm
    Amyafm Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I was shocked yesterday when I put my elliptical trainer exercise into MFP and it pretty much doubled what my machine told me I burned.
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    The best route is a HRM. MFP & gym machines are going to give you a number that most times is higher. This is a big reason I don't eat back exercise cals. But I've since been using TDEE. Check out iifym.com to calculate yours.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm going to go the other way here and point a finger at your HRM. ;) If you were on the machine for an hour at 4.5-5, you walked almost 5 miles. That is more than 240 calories for almost anyone. Even at my lightest I was getting something like 75 calories a mile. What is the setup process for the T4? I have an FT60 and it was pretty involved. The HRM is using an algorithm to estimate calories based on your heart rate, and if any of the assumptions are off (max HR, VO2Max), the burn will be off as well.

ETA: The treadmill numbers sound rather off as well.
  • pinkiezoom
    Options
    habit365 wrote: »
    I'm going to go the other way here and point a finger at your HRM. ;) If you were on the machine for an hour at 4.5-5, you walked almost 5 miles. That is more than 240 calories for almost anyone. Even at my lightest I was getting something like 75 calories a mile. What is the setup process for the T4? I have an FT60 and it was pretty involved. The HRM is using an algorithm to estimate calories based on your heart rate, and if any of the assumptions are off (max HR, VO2Max), the burn will be off as well.

ETA: The treadmill numbers sound rather off as well.

Hi and thanks for this, I must admit i thought the treadmill was high, but the HRH low. The T4 asks age, height, sex and weight so not a massive amount of details, but more than the treadmill which is weight only.
    I am losing weight pretty steadily so not overly worried at this stage, as I have gone from doing NOTHING all day and evening to getting to the gym and watching my food, so it is a different lifestyle.
    I think the treadmills are pretty old at the gym, as they are nowhere near as flash as the ones at my old gym.... so that could be part of it.
    I did think it should be more cals as the incline I have it at is high, just to keep my heart rate up, as i cant run, only walk as fast as my little legs allow lol

• pinkiezoom
    Options
    The best route is a HRM. MFP & gym machines are going to give you a number that most times is higher. This is a big reason I don't eat back exercise cals. But I've since been using TDEE. Check out iifym.com to calculate yours.

Hi thanks for replying, i rarely eat my calories back anyway, but on occasion i had been, and luckily for me i was still losing weight, but just thought for other new folk out there, they might want to be a little more conservative if logging their activity to start with.

• pinkiezoom
    Options
    Amyafm wrote: »
    I was shocked yesterday when I put my elliptical trainer exercise into MFP and it pretty much doubled what my machine told me I burned.

I have heard that MFP does massively over estimate, so I had only been using the gym machine numbers until I got my HRM, now I use those numbers instead.