Best Running Tracker?

Options
Hey guys, what's the best running tracker?

I'm thinking about starting running (hoping to gear up for a half-marathon in half a year, or perhaps 1-2 years time) but I don't want to bring my phone (might drop, get stolen, ...).

I've heard good things about the Nike Fuelband, Fitbit, ..., but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend a GPS device. It will track miles, pace, etc. Activity trackers only count steps, not actual distance nor can they track pace.

Which one depends on how much you want to spend and exactly what features you want ... GPS only, heart rate integration, all day activity tracking as well, etc. If you already have a smart phone, an armband is the cheapest method ... $10-30 and download a free app, then you're on your way. Decent GPS watches start in the $100 range and can go up to over $400 if you want one with all of the bells and whistles.
  • 0torque0
    0torque0 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have tried mapmyfitness and strava and like both though I am sticking with Strava because it offers more options for cycling. Pedometers like fitbit don't help a ton in terms of tracking running but the good news is that there are a few really good free aps which would do more for you. At the very least they are good starting points and if you get more serious they have the dedicated running/HRM stuff.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I'm actually looking to get a GPS device for my running. I have a simple TImex watch which works OK for tracking time. (I don't have a phone, so I create training routes using MapMyRun and then just time it with my watch.)

I think as a runner, it would be helpful to have something like a Garmin that can track... distance ran, pace (also good for speed work), and calories burned as well as time. I agree with the poster that is steering you away from FitBit. From what I know, that will track your steps taken, not a metric that's going to be super useful to you for training for a half marathon.

Good luck!
  • Jlennhikes
    Jlennhikes Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I use endomondo on my Android phone, and I like it :smile:
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Garmin.

DC Rainmaker has very in-depth reviews of GPS watches. I highly recommend taking a look at his site before making any purchases:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Polar has the new M400, which according to dcrainmaker is a great device for a superb price.
    Stef.
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR220. Love it!
  • rrowdiness
    rrowdiness Posts: 119 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Smartphone + Endomondo, and shell out the additional bucks for premium membership - it's not very expensive, and your phone already has a GPS (usually).

It's cross-device (android + ios), has training plans, interval training, audio coach (gives you feedback on pace / speed / distance to go / calories burnt all through your headphones), multiple sports, challenges, route tracking, progress tracking, fitness tests...really packed with features.

It integrates directly into MyFitnessPal so your runs are automatically bought across into the app, including pace and calorie burnt - as soon as you've done your run, it's there in MFP.

It integrates with most audio players so you can see what tracks on your phone get you amped / moving along quickly.

It supports most HRMs that can sync with your phone, and pulls that data into your tracking data.

that's my 2c worth. I am a very happy Endomondo customer. I bought the premium membership simply to get the inbuilt running training plan - simply plug in like 4 different bits of data, and Endomondo told me what I needed to do to run a 15km race in a specific time. Gave me all my training programme including intervals and intensities, measured fitness along the way, and wished me luck on race day.
  • larrewl
    larrewl Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've used my Garmin Forerunner 10 to track/log over 100 runs this year and like it. The Garmin Connect website not only has all my runs online (and various run plans/goals) but also syncs with myfitnesspal. I occasionally download all my activities to an Excel spreadsheet on my laptop for additional analysis and encouragement. Good luck!
  • JustWant2Run
    JustWant2Run Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Garmin.

DC Rainmaker has very in-depth reviews of GPS watches. I highly recommend taking a look at his site before making any purchases:
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews

+1 for Garmin and DC Rainmaker

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    sevry wrote: »
    I'm thinking about starting running (hoping to gear up for a half-marathon in half a year, or perhaps 1-2 years time) but I don't want to bring my phone (might drop, get stolen, ...).

As a newbie I'd recommend that you get an armband for your phone and download one of the tracking apps, rather than invest in a decent quality GPS device. You may not enjoy running.

If you don't run already then get hold of a C25K app or podcast to guide you up to steady running for 30 minutes, then move onto a 5-10K plan to increase that to 60minutes.

As far as tracking apps are concerned, the main options for the recreational runner are probably Endomondo, Runkeeper, Runtastic or MapMyFitness, alternatively Strava.

OF those, my preference is for Strava, but that's probably a bit hard core for a newbie. Endomondo and Runkeeper have embedded training plans for 5K and others. I'd personally recommend Endomondo, followed by Runkeeper. I really wouldn't recommend either of the others but they do get a lot of advocates on here.

I used Runkeeper and Endonomdo on my phone for about 15 months, until I was consistently running 12-15k as my long runs, before I got a Garmin 310XT. It took me a while to establish what my running preferences were, so that I was better able to identify the right tool to help me move on.

Notwithstanding all of that, DCRainmaker is a really goo site for identifying the device you want to use.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, what's the best running tracker?

I've heard good things about the Nike Fuelband, Fitbit, ..., but I'd like to hear your thoughts.

I use the Polar FT7 heart rate monitor and pair it with the Map My Run app which is paired to MyFitnessPal.

• sevry
    sevry Posts: 3
    edited October 2014
    Options

As a newbie I'd recommend that you get an armband for your phone and download one of the tracking apps, rather than invest in a decent quality GPS device. You may not enjoy running.

If you don't run already then get hold of a C25K app or podcast to guide you up to steady running for 30 minutes, then move onto a 5-10K plan to increase that to 60minutes.

As far as tracking apps are concerned, the main options for the recreational runner are probably Endomondo, Runkeeper, Runtastic or MapMyFitness, alternatively Strava.

OF those, my preference is for Strava, but that's probably a bit hard core for a newbie. Endomondo and Runkeeper have embedded training plans for 5K and others. I'd personally recommend Endomondo, followed by Runkeeper. I really wouldn't recommend either of the others but they do get a lot of advocates on here.

I used Runkeeper and Endonomdo on my phone for about 15 months, until I was consistently running 12-15k as my long runs, before I got a Garmin 310XT. It took me a while to establish what my running preferences were, so that I was better able to identify the right tool to help me move on.

Notwithstanding all of that, DCRainmaker is a really goo site for identifying the device you want to use.

I like the idea of a separate device, as I'm currently not comfortable with the idea of running with my phone (damage might occur, theft, ...).

The battery of my phone isn't as strong as it used to be as well (iOS 8 is quite battery draining).
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I like the idea of a separate device, as I'm currently not comfortable with the idea of running with my phone (damage might occur, theft, ...).

The battery of my phone isn't as strong as it used to be as well (iOS 8 is quite battery draining).

Money to burn then, go for a Garmin 920XT pre-order :)

In that case you can either go for bottom of the range, something like the Garmin Forerunner 15, so that you're not too far out of pocket when you're only doing short sessions and don't know if you enjoy running or not.

Your other option, if you're serious about going to HM distance, would be something like the Forerunner 220. That's about twice the price, but has much more functionality for serios training.

Your other option would be to go for something like the 310XT, which is a multisport device. Garmin have recently announced the upgrade to the 910XT, so I'd anticipate a similar announcement for the 310 upgrade, which should allow you to pick up one of those heavily discounted.

Personally I use a 310XT, whilst my main sport is running I also cycle a reasonable amount so it make sense to have something that works for both.

• pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin forerunner 110 that I have used for a few years. I like that it syncs with my fitness pal. I've tried wearing it all day, but the chest strap is pretty uncomfortable so I only wear it during exercise.