Steel Cut Oats

Options
2»

Replies

• nriviecc
    nriviecc Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love using steel cut oats in overnight oats - so easy to make the night before and then you just grab and go the next morning. Here's how I make one serving:

1/4 cup steel cut oats
    1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
    1/4 - 1/2 frozen mango

Just mix everything together in any airtight jar/container and let it sit overnight! If you want a little bit of sweetness, you can add some sugar/honey/sweetener of some kind.

You can add any fruit/flavor you'd like. I've also omitted mango, and added some PB2 and bananas for a peanut butter/banana recipe - delicious! You can play around with the recipe however you want, you really can't mess it up! :)
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I usually put dried cranberries or nuts in with mine. I also buy different varieties from Bob's Red Mill. They have one that is nuts and another that is dried apples and spice that I like.

I learned to like steel cut oats while in Scotland. The person I worked for asked me, "Do you cook your oatmeal with sugar?" I said, "No," meaning that i put sugar on after they cook. His reply was, "I thought all Americans used sugar. The proper way is to put salt on when you serve it, then have a small amount of milk in a saucer. That way the oats stay hot." So, that is how I have always done it.

And, I have never had rolled oats since. Steel cut oats have a better, nuttier flavor.
  • Vina4
    Vina4 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I LOVE steel cut oats. I use the McCann's irish steel cut oats that I get at Costco. I usually just make them in the microwave with almond milk, honey and slivered almonds. I am thinking about making a big batch in the crockpot though.
  • mandalikescats
    Options
    I do a big batch, too and then divide into mason jars for the week. I buy in bulk from my co-op, 30 lbs bags! I eat my oats every day. Normally I add some nuts and dried fruit (just a hint of sweet). Sometimes a fresh banana. I try to avoid any sugars/sweeteners since I usually have a latte in the morning and coffee shops around here insist on sweetened soy. blah...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Could any one tell me Whats the difference between steelcut oats and ...other oats?
    Steel cut oats have exactly the same nutritional content as rolled oats just with an added pretentious element and cost to them
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    _Zardoz_ wrote: »
    Could any one tell me Whats the difference between steelcut oats and ...other oats?
    Steel cut oats have exactly the same nutritional content as rolled oats just with an added pretentious element and cost to them

LOL!!! I DID notice that on the new Quaker Steel Cut Oats Brown Sugar & Cinnamon, I can read all the ingredients. Plain and simple. On Quaker regular instant oatmeal I cannot. The steel cut ones hurt my stomach less.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    I use bobs gluten free steel cut oats, i add dried fruit like apricots and cranberries. if i need sweet i use coconut sugar.
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    I use bobs gluten free steel cut oats, i add dried fruit like apricots and cranberries. if i need sweet i use coconut sugar.

COCONUT SUGAR?!?!

tumblr_mwa5l6M0rV1sgl0ajo1_400.gif
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options

COCONUT SUGAR?!?!

With the list of reasons why you want to get into shape and how depressing it was to read, maybe you should give it a try, it might help you get there sooner.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Agreed on the nutritional content, but for taste and texture they are 100% worth the extra cost and any risk of random people finding you pretentious for enjoying them.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options

:D

• laurenz2501
    Options

COCONUT SUGAR?!?!

With the list of reasons why you want to get into shape and how depressing it was to read, maybe you should give it a try, it might help you get there sooner.

I absolutely will!!! I love anything coconut! Can't believe I've never heard of it before!