Lean Cuisine

Options
I just started to eat more lean cuisine. I know that frozen food has a lot of sodium in it and that is why i kind of shied away from it before..but i have to say they are really teaching me portion control and they taste AWESOME. I'm a fan. I'm hoping since i work out so much that sodium won't have too much an an affect. What do you guys think of lean cuisine??

Replies

• nmpresto
    nmpresto Posts: 157
    Options
    I really like the lean cuisine and the smart ones but I have shied away as well due to the sodium, interested to see other responses!
  • mmildice
    Options
    I eat them a lot. They are easy and very good. I just remember to drink a lot more water when I eat something with a higher sodium content.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I think they taste great and they are so convenient. I know they get lots of "BOOS" from many people, but I like them anyway.
  • ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I eat them! I love them, especially since being a full time college student and having a job doesn't really allow for a ton of time to prepare meals. I usually have them for dinner...yummy :)
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I worry about the sodium too, but once in a while I'll have one. I just saw on Hungry Girl's new cooking show on cooking channel some ways that you can make the portion larger for not many calories... such as adding broccoli, bean sprouts, or Soy Noodles. Haven't tried them yet... but sounded good! :) I like Smart Ones too.
  • steph_669
    steph_669 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I pretty much live off of Smart One's, Lean Cuisine's and Cambell's Select Harvest soups. They all taste great, and with veggies, and maybe a side salad and piece of fruit, it sure does satisfy. So far so good with me.
    I don't really cook alot so it helps with my lunches on days I work.
  • EdgeChic
    Options
    I eat the Lean Cuisine pizzas (or Smart One's, whichever is on sale) because when I get a pizza craving, it really helps curb that urge to order out.

When I do eat a Lean Cuisine, or something higher in sodium, I just make sure the rest of my day is balanced. I generally don't have more than 1 a week, and usually never 2 in one day.

A lot of them are really tasty, but the pizza is my favorite, oh, and desserts, Smart Ones make some DELICIOUS desserts!
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I love them lean cuisine healthy and smart ones i make sure there is a good amount of protein and not crazy on the sodium and try to eat at the max 3 a week
  • bdavenport62
    Options
    I ate one just about everyday for lunch before I had my son and lost weight no problem. I would just keep it at one a day though. I do agree that they help you see what a portion should be.
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the pizza ones bc thats my favorite foos and although its not the greasy take out kind it still satisfies me
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them but the more fresh food I eat, the worse they taste to me. I take a bite and feel like I am licking a salt lick.

I made my own healthy meals, and freeze them into single portion control servings that I can take to lunch. I just pull a tupperware, heat it up at work, and same effect!
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I've done pretty well with having LC meals for lunch or dinner several times a week. For one thing, yes, they do redefine the concept of "portion" for us. Plus they're relatively inexpensive, tasty, quick and easy, which broke me of the fast food habit that was largely behind me packing on the pounds. I don't use them for every meal by any means but they have definitely helped me change my habits. As for the sodium issue, I eat lots of fruits and veggies at other meals and rarely even come close to the sodium max. And drink LOTS of water!!!
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I eat them occasionally, but I do try to check the sodium levels in the meals that I want. Unfortunately, I have learned that there are few shortcuts on this whole dieting thing... it's so annoying!!
  • kuechletwins
    kuechletwins Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    personnally, with 4 kids and a full time job, these are my life saver! I rarely pack a lunch, so keeping these in the freezer at work is way better than getting the urge to run through a drive thru! I think they tast great! I just started keeping track of my sodium on here so I will be aware of the amounts and eat other low sodium foods through out the day.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I love them and the Healthy Choice Steamers. They are easy for me to grab for lunch and I like to eat something hot. They fill me up until dinner most days and I cook dinner most nights with fresh vggies and protein.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    It has been my work week lunch meal since my journey started a year ago. I sometimes go over my sodium goals but I monitor it and try to stay beneath it.

They helped me to get through and start seeing how much I eat.

My favorite right now is the Chicken Poblano - Chicken tenderloins with penne pasta,green beans,tomatoes,poblano peppers,roasted corn and black beans in a chili Cheddar sauce
  • mbakken90
    mbakken90 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    have a lot of you lost weight while eating them a couple times a week? I find it hard to cook food being in college and they are a nice lunch once in a while.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    It's all going to depend on your overall diet. But if you're using these to REPLACE typical fast food fare, it's definitely an improvement!!!
  • npryor100
    npryor100 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It is great portion control, perfect with a low-cal salad for lunch or a I-don't-feel-like-cooking dinner. I eat 1 or 2 a week.

That being said, due to the sodium content and how "processed" the meats are I prefer to cook myself when I can and then eat the leftovers for lunch the next day.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I eat either a Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice Steamers, or Eating Right (I don't like Smart Ones) microwave meal almost everyday for lunch. As others have said, it's just too overly convenient. I can keep a week (or more) worth in the freezer at work and I never have to worry about having forgotten to bring my lunch or finding time to prep something in advance. Very occasionally (like today) I'll actually have leftovers from the previous night that I bring, but I'd say that 95% of the time, or more, it's a microwave lunch. I've been doing it since day one (and before actually) and haven't had any ill effects. Of course, I also usually down a minimum of 16oz of water while I'm eating lunch, will have already had 16-24oz before lunch and another 24-32oz before I leave work and I continue to drink water right up until bedtime (I keep a bottle on my nightstand). So I've honestly never worried too much about my sodium levels.