First Half Marathon

Options
Hello everyone,

I just signed up after a recommendation from a friend. My fitness goal is to run my first Half Marathon in March. I have always dredded running in the past and made excuses not to exercise. In the past, attempting a half marathon would've never crossed my mind. My motivation comes from a friend who is encouraging me to accomplish this goal. This friend just completed his first half after training for 4 months and during that time lost 40lbs. Now I am inspired to take control of my health and get into shape. I started training in December and completed my first 5k on Jan 2nd. As painful as this has been, I need to keep motivating myself to run.

Good luck to everyone and keep staying active.

Soup

Replies

• RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Great job getting started! I just completed my 1st half last August in the 90 degree heat of VA (I don't wish that on anyone, LOL). I hope you find some great friends along the way, as well as sone great times!

Good luck :)
  • kac7700
    kac7700 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Wow! Good for you, the accomplishment from finishing a race is the best thing in the world. I have to admit, I appluad you because after running for more than two years now, I'm still too chicken to attempt a half! I do 5Ks and 10Ks often, and am going to try to get into a big 10-mile this fall, but for some reason, I'm terrified to try a half.

I'm rooting for you. Enjoy the journey, and stay on top of your training schedule.
  • ccuevas88
    Options
    What running program are you doing to train for your half marathon?
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Running your first half is an amazing high!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I just celebrated my first half and full last weekend. My husband and I ran a 5K Jan 7th, Half Marathon Jan 8th and a Full Marathon Jan 9th. What an amazing experience! I'm looking forward to more! (Maybe just not so much all at once)
  • brenott
    brenott Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for my first half marathon on May 1st. My sister is a marathon runner and will be running the marathon the same day. She also has it in her mind that we will be traveling all over the country doing marathons together. However, I probably weigh 100 lbs more than her and take twice as long to run as she does, so her pressure is scary. But also exciting.

Good luck on your race - keep us updated on your progress and race!!!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! I ran my first 5k a little over 2 years ago, and ran right home to find a half marathon!! I have my first 15k coming up in March and my 5th - 10 Miler coming up in April. I'll do my 3rd half marathon later this year and I am doing my first sprint triathlon this fall.
  • Elchicano76
    Options
    You can do it!
  • hotsoup
    Options
    I am following the Novice program from Hal Higdon's website.
  • hotsoup
    Options
    Thanks for your support ! Elchicano