Too much protein

Options
I've been recording what I eat and while it seems like alot to me, the calories, carbs and sometimes the fat usually has a few extra left over from the day but I often wind up going a few points over with protein. I don't eat much and when I actually have structured meals 430 calories looks like alot of food to me. I just wonder if going overboard on the protein will affect my weight loss?

Replies

• fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    no, protein is wonderful for maintaining and building muscle. eat 1gram pr lb of body weight. so if you 140 eat 140grams
  • tammydspice
    Options
    I always over eat on protein, my trainer has put me on a high protein diet and I have lost 33 lbs since Oct!! Eat protein!!!
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Protein helps keep you full longer too, I definitely wouldn't worry about it!
  • poohkrazy05
    Options
    can you give me some suggestions on what to eat that is high on protein? Thanks
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Options
    I've been recording what I eat and while it seems like alot to me, the calories, carbs and sometimes the fat usually has a few extra left over from the day but I often wind up going a few points over with protein. I don't eat much and when I actually have structured meals 430 calories looks like alot of food to me. I just wonder if going overboard on the protein will affect my weight loss?
    You actually have to be careful on eating too much protein though (ie above recommended intake - although it is hard to find out exactly what that is as there is much conflicting evidence).
    If you are getting extra protein from meats you have to be wary of the fat that you also take in through this.

Also if you take in too much protein, you have to be aware that your body does not store the amino acids (constituents of protein). It will take what you can not use then and convert them depending on what the amino acid is into either fat or glucose (its just the biochemistry of protein metabolism - there is plently of information out there about protein metabolism).

I know here (Australia) the recommended daily intake by Dieticians etc is 0.75g/kg for adult women and 0.84g/kg for adult men (though this needs to be moderated for the very overweight I believe). I think that the USA recommedations are within same paramaters of around .8gm per kg (not per lb, as if you did it per lb you would be taking in nearly double the RDA)

It is my understanding that studies have shown that (contrary to popular belief) people who exercise vigorously or are trying to put on muscle mass don’t need to consume significantly extra protein. Studies show that weight-trainers who don’t eat extra protein (either in food or protein powders) still gain muscle at the same rate as weight-trainers who supplement their diets with protein (again because of the "we do not store protein" issue).

A very high protein diet can strain the kidneys and liver, and prompt excessive loss of the mineral calcium, this is becuase of the need to process the ammonia that is a breakdown product of amino acid metabolism.

So it is a balance to get it right. I take in around 60gm of protein each day (primarily from legumes, tofu, oats, grains and seed sprouts) so that I do not take in the unneccessary fats with meat based proteins. It works for me.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    The protein ratio is set quite low on MFP. Go into setting and increase it to your requiements.

You're actually probably not eating enough. Try 35/35/30 carb/protein/fat or high carb lower fat if you are that way inclined. People set it differently to suit their lifestyles.

good luck :flowerforyou: