another question for the girls...

Options
Do women generally weigh more during their period? I'm guessing yes because of water retention...but just want to make sure...

Replies

• fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    not enough to add a whole lb... sorry! i wish though!
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    yes, alot of women do tend to gain up to 4-6lb during TOM

for me it's about 3-4lb so i avoid weighing in!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yes you can gain as much as 5 lbs during certain parts of TOM. I have found tho, that as I am more consistent in my eating habits, that fluctuation has decreased dramatically
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options

I'll beg to differ here. I fluctuate up to 5 lbs for ovulation and/or TOM. Boobs swell to bursting out of the bra, and everything else considered, some of us do fluctuate more than a pound.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I tend tog gain 4lb consistently but then a few days after TOM it's all gone so I just don't weigh that week so as not to upset myself unnecessarily. :tongue:
  • limestar
    limestar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am different. I weigh more when I ovulate. I have all the symptoms of a period during my ovulation. But when TOM comes I do not get any symptoms well just one thing (TOM) but no bloating, water retention or anything.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options

You're joking, right? I gain 4 lbs every 28 days. Drink extra water to flush out the water you're retaining and it should be gone in a few days. :)
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I generally gain about 4 lbs within the week before and it comes off at some point within the week after... sometimes its less but yes there is a weight gain for some women. Those that don't have that problem... I am super jealous!
  • Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    Options
    I usually gain 3 - 4 lbs during my TOM ...
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    On a bad month, with my PMDD I've gained upwards of 10lbs on the scale. I know it's not real "weight" but more like retention.

So no worries, it'll come off once TOM is over. And it's not staying weight, just from retention.

I'd say stay away from scales at this point in the month, stick to your bigger pants for comfort till it passes. Then back to normal!

Katie
  • sarahwright01
    sarahwright01 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I take Pamprin pretty much every day while on my period. It has an ingredient that helps to she water, and I avoid salt like the plague. Rarely do I "gain" weight while TOM (time of the month) is here........still....it is pretty typical to gain 1-3 pounds of water weight. I just don't weigh myself that week. I skip it completely and weigh in the following week.
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes - you most CERTAINLY CAN!!
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    In my experience yes I stay away from the scale during that time!
  • mlemonroe2
    Options
    I just read about how you can gain weight right before your period because of water retention. Up to a week before and a week after. The article I read also said you should not weigh yourself so much and use a tape measure to keep trake of inches you lose. It is more accurate then the scale.
  • Candy42adore
    Candy42adore Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    YES. True for majority, everyone is different though.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options

you're the lucky one, I can gain up to 7lbs with totm, usually 3-5lb but can be higher and it can stick around for 10-12 days in total. I also tend to bloat up around ovulation too, not as much and over with in a day or 2
  • kferg0312
    Options
    yes it is typical. I usually gain between 3-8 lbs during this time every month, but as long as i watch what i eat more the week before and the week after, it all goes away a few days later.
  • weelissa
    weelissa Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Week before my period I gain approximately 6lbs!!! My legs swell up about an extra 2inches each, I can't get my rings on my fingers, and I generally feel bloated.

It all goes away as quickly as it started though- yay!
  • fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    after doing so very intense research you can hold MAX 2lbs of water weight.... and even in that case you would be drinking more fluids than usual. so for those of who claim you gain 6 lbs of water weight during your cycle are crazy.. you might be eating more and giving in to your cravings... IT IS NOT ACTUAL WATER RETENTION
  • namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    Options
    Personally, up to my period, I lose weight at the normal rate. Then, the first three days, it stays the same. Towards the end, my weight plummets to where it would have been if it didn't stop. *shrug*

Also, drinking water is *amazing*. I used to get so bloated. Now, I'm drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day, and I wasn't bloated at all this time.