Trading one obsession for another.

Options
Is weight loss addictive? Instead of obsessing about what you want to eat, you start obsessing about what you don't want to eat. Nothing goes into my mouth that I can't account for in calories. I love baking and have this past week baked a delicious cake for my extended family. However, once I imputted the info, it was 650 calories a slice, That translates into none for me, not even a crumb while I was slicing and handing out pieces. I have now become obsessed with the calorie bottome line. That means if I am closing in on my net calorie goal, do some more exercise. Then as you approach your original goal weight, its never enough. You say just a little less. Originally I wanted to be my wedding weigt of 147 which looked great, but then I said why not 140 and now, I am thinking maybe 138 would be even better. Will this obsession drive me to look "like a crackhead" as my brother so nicely put it?

Replies

• Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Yes it is! My husband tells me to "change the channel" lol Even when we were watching Maury the other day the "cheating b@stard" had lost a lot of weight and thats all I wanted to see was his before pics!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    Thats what makes MFP so great you can always talk about weight loss and people want to listen! In the real world not so much. Good luck getting to your goal! :flowerforyou:
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Lol!!!! Oh yes it's addictive but I guess there are it's of addictive personalities around here, kinda goes with the territory. I was a heavy smoker, gave up then was heavily into sweets now I'm heavily into mfp and exercise..... As poisons go it could be worse!
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I am not a pyschologist or anything, but I think there may be a fine line between having an obsession to be healthy & look good, and a not-so-healthy obsession with "losing a few more lbs" that may or may not be a early warning sign for anorexia? I'm not sure. Do be careful :flowerforyou:
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    LOL. I hear you. I don't think that could ever be a problem for me because I do love food, just at this point looking good is loved more than food. But seriously, I could easily imagine how someone would fall prey to this disease. If I ever drop my goal to under 138, which is the lowest suggested healthy weight for someone my height with a small frame, I may just have to re-evaluate. Thanks for the advice.
  • Dobsaya
    Options
    Amen to that.
  • jillerin457
    Options
    I'm the same height as you and basically the same weight goals, and I know what you mean! I'm constantly thinking about calories, and since I have a crazy school/work schedule right now, I rarely get to exercise, so it's all about controlling the food intake. I try not to talk about it too much unless it's here on MFP, or with someone else who is a little obsessed too.

As for anorexia and eating disorders, those seem to be more about control and psychological issues, and food/exercise are just ways to deal with the other issues. I'm not too worried about developing an ED, especially now that I'm a little older than the usual age for those.
  • ajswriter
    ajswriter Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think part of it all is when you work so hard to lose weight, you don't want to screw it up by eating anything "bad." Just walking by the bakery at the grocery store makes me want to be sick, thinking of all the sugar and calories. Junk doesn't taste good anymore because I know what I've had to do to get rid of the aftermath of previous junk food/overeating. Does that make sense?
  • peacewithin
    Options
    Just thought I'd throw it out that that eating disorders don't discriminate. They come in all shapes, ages, and races. In fact, the age group that has reported more new cases is quickly becoming middle aged. An eating disorder can be sparked by a diet, but fueled by underlying issues. Believe it or not, people with anorexia love food too, they are just scared of it. I think it's more important to find balance with food, rather then deny yourself something. Most people that restrict their diet too much end up obsessing about food, dreaming about food, and later on gaining the weight back, due to restricting. Restricting too much leads to binging.
  • Dobsaya
    Options
    Are you calling me middle aged? I am just kidding. Good point.
  • Dobsaya
    Options
    Glad to hear I am not alone. Most people around me act like I should be ashamed to diet. Of course they are over weight and I am in my healthy range just the higher end and would prefer to be on lower end.