Vegetarians

Options
A friend of mine decided to become a vegetarian. We discussed this today and I sometimes find myself not eatting enough and stuggling to make my calories for the day and I eat meat. If I was to give up meat what would I eat? The only thing I could think of was pasta, beans, and eggs. Any food ideas or links to any websites or names of books that would be good to read up on. If you are a vegetarian what does a typical menu look like for you?

Replies

• littlemoron
    littlemoron Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've been veg for years. I'll add you as a friend and you can check out my diary. You have tons of options beyond pasta, beans and eggs.

Check out the Vegetarian Times website, they have amazing recipes.

littlemoron :smile:
  • VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Great websites - tons of info:

www.vrg.org

www.vegweb.com

www.tryveg.com

www.exploreveg.org

www.mayoclinic.com/health/vegetarian-diet/HQ01596

www.vegetariandietguide.com/

www.fatfreevegan.com

Congrats to you for exploring a vegetarian diet!! If you want to friend me, you can see my food diaries...and I am always happy to answer questions for new vegetarians/vegans. I've been vegetarian/vegan for about 13 years.
  • mizfrankie
    Options
    There are lots of good things. Quinoa has protein, pulses, beans, dark green veggies, protein supplements like shakes and stuff are great. Tofu, Quorn and Linda McCartney are great brands for veggie meals and substitutes and they are yummy! Let's see - nuts and seeds are important. 9 bar makes a great flax seed bar.
    Yes - many many things. I have also been vegetarian for a long time - 14 years. I was not as good at having proper nutrition as I am now. I always make sure to reach my protein goals for the day although sometimes I am not that good at my 5 a day fruit and veg :)
    Best of luck!
  • rainbowcheerios
    Options
    haha, I'm a vegetarian and I still struggle with my weight/eating right. I LOVE sweets :P

but anyway there are plenty of alternatives to meets that can give you protein and what not, like boca burgers, the morning star line, and quorn brand is one of my personal favorites. Except for the bocas, which are only 60 calories, they tend to be only a little under the calories of what they're imitating and don't have as many of the bad fats. If you are interested in being lacto ovo (still eating dairy and eggs) both those products have protien/good calories, nuts, tofu, ect. they're all things to replace meat with.
  • anovasjo
    anovasjo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If I was to give up meat what would I eat? The only thing I could think of was pasta, beans, and eggs.
    :noway:

There are literally thousands and thousands of dishes that do not include meat!!
    I assume you are looking for meat *alternatives* though?

Start surfing some food blogs for ideas. There are tons out there.
    ie:
    http://www.tastespotting.com/
    http://happyveganface.blogspot.com/
    http://www.yourveganmom.com/
    http://www.neverhomemaker.com/
    http://ohsheglows.com/
    http://www.theppk.com/
  • syl312
    syl312 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian and there are plenty of foods to eat.. you'll be surprised..
    I love beans, edamame, spinach, tomatoes, eggs, hummus, quinoa, tofu, soy, .. you can look at my food diary and other links that are good are below. :) good luck.. add me..

somedays are diff to hit calorie goal but i have to add protein shakes or peanut butter to make my days calories!!

http://towardsfreedom.com/veggiechess/goVeg.html
    www.goveg.com

Sylvia
  • camp_teekay
    camp_teekay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    yes! i agree. I've also been vegetarian for years, and since it coincided with my learning how to cook, I've always had plenty of recipes in my arsenal. Granted, I do eat a lot of beans, eggs, and whole wheat pasta, but there are a ridiculous amount of recipes out there. Just don't fall into the fake meat / veggie burger trap. It's easy to start out with, but all that super-processed stuff is terrible for you, too. Vegetarian Times is wonderful, and also VegWeb.com, which has thousands of user-submitted vegan recipes (although some of them end up involving really strange / hard to find ingredients or are just as unhealthy as some non-veg recipes). Epicurious has a lot of excellent recipes that are vegetarian / can be veg-ified.

I default to whole wheat pasta primavera, veggie chili, or soup most times. Or stir fry with brown rice, tofu, edamame, and lots of veggies is great. You can also toss any variety of cooked veggies in with quinoa, which is an amazing source of protein, but also a little annoying to prepare. Basically, you can make anything vegetarian. Just take out the meat (and the meat-based broth). adding a lot of fresh or frozen vegetables helps, too.

I hope this helps!

Just a couple of cookbooks with a great variety of recipes:

How to cook everything vegetarian
    Vegan with a Vengeance
    Veganomicon
  • Herenya
    Herenya Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine decided to become a vegetarian. We discussed this today and I sometimes find myself not eatting enough and stuggling to make my calories for the day and I eat meat. If I was to give up meat what would I eat? The only thing I could think of was pasta, beans, and eggs. Any food ideas or links to any websites or names of books that would be good to read up on. If you are a vegetarian what does a typical menu look like for you?

I have just recently become vegetarian and believe it or not you can find some very good ideas by just walking the isles in the supermarket. And if you are in a rush and need something that is a quick fix Morning Star Farms and Veggie Patch make all the meat substitutes you can think of from veggie burgers and veggie dogs, to crumbles that mimic ground beef and you can use them for making all of your favorite recipes such as meatloaf or meatballs to add to a good pasta dish. All of the products you get are vegan or vegetarian and are packed with protein so you won't be missing out. Whatever you do, don't be afraid to experiment. Sometimes the best recipes are found by accident.
  • hollyk57
    hollyk57 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I went Vegetarian back in August and haven't looked back since! I wrote a blog about it that desperately needs an update to tell everyone how great it is. You may find limits in certain places when eating out, but it's made me really think before I eat, and virtually cut out all impulse eating and fast food. There are TONS of options out there. Some of my favorite foods now are new things I discovered as a vegetarian. Beyond the eggs, beans, tofu etc.... I LOVE seitan - it's a wheat based product that can be made to taste like beef or chicken. It's amazing an my non-vego hubby loves it too! I also love Lightlife brand Smart Strips - they also come in beef and chicken styles and flavors and they are AWESOME! Great in tacos, fajitas, pasta, salad, snadwiches - really anything you can imagine. Quorn brand also makes some awesome and versatile things to use in place of chicken, turkey or fish. Veggie Patch makes awesome hot dogs and meatballs that taste like the real thing. Tempeh is also a great soy option. Search around for vegetarian recipies.... you may be really suprised at all the options. I'll tell you - rrealizing all the options out there made the transition so easy for me - I thought I was going to feel deprived, but instead, I have found a whole new world of foods I never even knew existed.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    Thank You, Thank You, Thank You for all the wonderful links and info can't wait to explore them all!!! You guys rock!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • krisk60
    Options
    Just be careful of some of the premade veggie burgers and portabello burgers. I find the sodium content REALLY high. Good luck, it is not as hard as you might think.
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Three letters:

T
    V
    P

Google it and it will be your friend. A great ground-beef replacement, awesome for tacos, etc :)

My wife went vegetarian about a year ago, and I eat significantly less meat now than I did before since we still share meals. I think it's the best thing we ever did. Really stopped focusing on meat as a center and now we cook much more creatively and it's way easier to control calories and sodium. Just watch out for that cheese!

PS. I still do eat meat... can't give up my summertime carne asada :love:
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You have to be creative. I do eat a lot of beans, but there are loads of more options theses day. A bid help is I buy quinoa pasta. Quinoa is a grain that's also a complete protein, so you get the mouth feel of pasta, but the benefit of a protein. I eat greek yogurt over regular yogurt because it has more protein. I also add flax seed powder when juicing or making smoothies or even in pasta sauces. You can buy fake meat such as tempeh or seitian. I make my own veggie burger using burger molds and start with bean as my base and add whatever veg I like and again a touch of flaxseed powder.

One cook book I really like is called the Vegan soul kitchen.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian...

If you're interested you can add me as a friend and snoop thru my food diary.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    We make a lot of indian, chinese and mexican food in this house :-)

Linda McCartney has some great cookbooks that seem to be very family friendly.

There are tons you can eat, you just have to get used to it. (My oldest has been vegetarian since birth, I just went back after a 3 years hiatus...I don't think my body likes meat. I do eat fish though. My youngest eats chicken but no other meat.)
  • mary1028
    mary1028 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    49 LBS !!! Great job. But I really want to ask - what is a pescetarian. I am not sure what that means. Thanks.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    49 LBS !!! Great job. But I really want to ask - what is a pescetarian. I am not sure what that means. Thanks.
    pescetarians eat fish, but not meat or poultry
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    Great websites - tons of info:

www.vrg.org

www.vegweb.com

www.tryveg.com

www.exploreveg.org

www.mayoclinic.com/health/vegetarian-diet/HQ01596

www.vegetariandietguide.com/

www.fatfreevegan.com

Congrats to you for exploring a vegetarian diet!! If you want to friend me, you can see my food diaries...and I am always happy to answer questions for new vegetarians/vegans. I've been vegetarian/vegan for about 13 years.

I love the tryveg.com website very helpful, answered a lot of my questions. Gave some good advice about slowly getting into it. Which I want to try to do since I have some chicken left in the freezer that I don't want to waste. I rarely eat red meat to begin with so I know that will be ok. I guess it will be the hardest when I go out somewhere to eat because I normally opt for a fish or grilled chicken dish because that seems to be the healthiest. I am excited to give this a shot.
  • healthydoseofglitter
    Options
    Three letters:

T
    V
    P

Google it and it will be your friend. A great ground-beef replacement, awesome for tacos, etc :)

My wife went vegetarian about a year ago, and I eat significantly less meat now than I did before since we still share meals. I think it's the best thing we ever did. Really stopped focusing on meat as a center and now we cook much more creatively and it's way easier to control calories and sodium. Just watch out for that cheese!

PS. I still do eat meat... can't give up my summertime carne asada :love:

Where do you find TVP in the grocery store?
  • DeannaOnline
    DeannaOnline Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow, lots of great suggestions for the OP!
    I'm new to this site so I'm looking at some new friends to add here, lol!!

ttv2004 - I will add you as well so you can view my journal, It's day one for me here so there's not much there but it's not day one for me being vegetarian LOL - also I'm moving towards a vegan life style so there's that too :-)