Question about Polar HRM

Options
So lately when I use my Polar HRM it always seems to slip and I feel it doesn't give me an accurate reading. For instance, I did Turbo Jam using it for 25 minutes and it said I only burned like 10 calories. I could be almost winded and my heart racing and it say my heart rate was only at 50. I can't get it to stay. Do I need to wear a sports bra with it? I haven't been using it for these reasons.

Replies

• gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    I guess I might be the only one that ever has had this problem. I hate it because I can't use the HRM I spent good money for.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    How long have you had it? Could you need a new battery?
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    It is brand spankin new.
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    It's the strap. Just won't stay on no matter how much I adjust it.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    They have different size straps. You might have purchase a size that is too big. Do you still have the box?
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    I don't think I do, which stinks. I'll keep playing around with it. I think I'll get it figured out. Just was wondering if anyone else out there has had problems with it. I love it other than the strap issue.
  • newmeat30
    newmeat30 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I'd say to make sure it is nice and snug. If you can't get it snug, stick it under the band of your sports bra. Also, make sure the sensors on the "skin" side of the strap are WET. If they don't have some moisture on them, they might not pick up your heart rate.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I kinda wear mine under my bra yeah. Or get one of those t's with a bralette, that will hold it on.

Good point about wetting the terminals. That makes it stick too!

Dunno, you're the first person with a prob I've heard. I hope you figure it out. Perhaps even tape it on??

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only one with this problem. I noticed after a long 40 minute walk once it told me I'd only burnt 20 calories. I decided to take my pedometer with me the next time I went for a walk, to compare the results, and while my HRM told me I'd burnt 15, the pedometer told me nearly 200! I've made sure the strap is in the right position, the batteries are new as I've only had the watch a short amount of time, and I've wet the sensors, and still the same happens.
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Nope. I got the box that fit L/XL. If you don't know any different you can easily pick a strap thats too big. If you still have your receipt take it back if you purchased it locally. If not get some that velco tape to tighten it up.
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    I don't have the box so I don't know. I am a very petite person so I would need a small. I ordered it off of ebay. I might use velcro tape and get some sports bras to help secure it.