Protein-filled breakfast ideas?

Options

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Just want to warn you about posts regarding whole eggs. While they are great for protein I was shocked to learn how much cholesterol is in one large egg (215mg)!!! After doing much research, I learned the recommended about of daily cholesterol is LESS than 300mg. So I changed my MFP goal to 280mg and now eat only egg whites for breakfast. I also changed my diary settings to track cholesterol because I was consuming way too much.

For breakfast I usually have whole rolled oatmeal with blueberries and 2 scrambled egg whites with salsa. If I'm really in a rush, I'll eat a cup Kashi Go Crunch which has 9g protein and 8g fiber which helps you feel full longer. Also, cottage cheese is a good source of protein, throw in some fruit.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Just want to warn you about posts regarding whole eggs. While they are great for protein I was shocked to learn how much cholesterol is in one large egg (215mg)!!! After doing much research, I learned the recommended about of daily cholesterol is LESS than 300mg. So I changed my MFP goal to 280mg and now eat only egg whites for breakfast. I also changed my diary settings to track cholesterol because I was consuming way too much.

Unless you have a cholesterol problem and your doctor (preferrably a nutritionist rather than a general practitioner) told you to limit cholesterol in food, the cholesterol in eggs shouldn't bother you. More and more research is suggesting that dietary cholesterol minimally impacts blood cholesterol levels - plenty of people eat way more than the "recommended" cholesterol limit and have perfectly healthy cholesterol levels. A small selection of people seem to be more sensitive to cholesterol in food - but this is not the majority. Here's a "respected" source that explains some of this: http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-full-story/index.html#cholesterol

For an interesting read, try "Good Calories Bad Calories" by Gary Taubes - it explains the errors/problems in the research and medical community that has led to so many misconceptions about fat, cholesterol, carbohydrates and health. I don't completely buy into everything he says, but he make some very good points.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • drmelvis
    drmelvis Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You can take a low sugar instant oatmeal and add 2 tbsp of almond butter. Very filling, quick and good. Sometimes I mix it cold with a little milk and it is like cookie dough!
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    my favorite is wheat toast with peanut butter
    OR
    if your in the mood for eggs, mix some mushrooms & frozen spinach in it for an omlet.
    (its really good with a little shredded cheese melted in top)
  • dreamc08
    dreamc08 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I make my own breakfast sandwich. Microwave or fry up one egg, meanwhile throw a light english muffin in the toaster. Put some deli ham on the english muffin bottom, add egg, add cheese slice, top and enjoy! I actually love oatmeal, so this sandwich is my lunch sometimes too.
  • rebeccaoneillcarter
    Options
    BUMP, awesome ideas.
  • ashleyplus3
    ashleyplus3 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    yuuuuummmm.......breakfast! I eat this ALL the time..........

1 Kashi Go Lean waffle w/ the following toppings....
    1 tbsp. of Nutella
    1/2 banana sliced
    OR
    natural chunky peanut butter
    1/2 banana sliced
    & honey

HEAVEN!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    2 eggs, about 100gm's of raw spinach, chopped up as mush as possible in 1 minute, lol, and some low sugar salsa. throw it all together, get that egg mixed right through it, then cook in microwave.
    Actually i cook the spinach on its own first, takes longer than the eggs. then add the raw eggs to it. and the salsa. done.
    I eat this while sipping a low carb protein shake.
    approximately 400-450 cals. Perfect start to day.
    Quite often will add raw cucumber and carrot to the side of the plate too.

Brekky is the most important meal of the day!!! You have just fasted for 6-10 hours sleeping!!! Its up there with your post workout meals...

PLUS, if you looking to lose fat (not weight, fat), then this is excellent start to the day...
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Ashley that sounds downright delicious!!!!
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    If you don’t have a lot of time in the mornings, try making egg muffins and freezing them. They reheat in seconds in the microwave, are endlessly adaptable (add vegetables, low fat meats, etc.). Here’s a link to a recipe: http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2006/10/egg-muffins-revisited-again.html .

Breakfast burritos are also an option. You could prep vegetables, grate cheese, and crack open a can of black beans on the weekend. And that would leave scrambling an egg in the morning (which takes about 5 minutes on the stove).
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I always add eggs or protein powder to oatmeal to increase the protein %.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I eat two hard boiled eggs every morning.. I cook up enough to get me through the week, then I peel a couple the night before and keep them in a baggy in the fridge. The next morning, I toss some sea salt in there and head out the door, I can eat them on the way to work. :)
  • recesq
    recesq Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thank you Accountant.
    Oatmeal is not good for breakfast.
    Stick to protein.
  • loushep
    loushep Posts: 191
    Options
    bumped :smile:
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Thank you Accountant.
    Oatmeal is not good for breakfast.
    Stick to protein.
    According to...? Oatmeal is just fine for breakfast. Of all of the folks I know in the health + fitness industry, no one has ever once said this to me... The hardcore weight-lifters I know have a protein shake first thing, but then oatmeal and egg whites an hour or so later. What are you basing this broad statement on, exactly?

Making a blanket claim like this without ANY information or resources to back it up is really bad form and it's not helping anyone looking to improve their overall health and well-being.
  • DBritt1
    DBritt1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You can always mix in a little protein powder into your oatmeal. You can also try the Carnation Instant Breakfast Essentials mix. You can mix with water or mix. Costco has 30 individual packs for $6 through the end of the month ($2 instant rebate takes them from $8 to $6). They taste good, but do have a fair amount of sugar.
  • sweetestthing
    Options
    Have a protein bar. NO Dishes to wash! Maybe Atkins or anyone you like the taste better.
  • facts300
    facts300 Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow! These recipes sound great. I know I didn't start this thread, but it is sort of what I was looking for. I'm not a big fan of sugar in the morning, and now that I'm going to start my diet, I dread the idea of having to have sweet breakfast shakes or fruit smoothies for breakfast. I want something that tastes like bacon for breakfast, not like cake, and these breakfast ideas sound wonderful and not sweet at all! Thanks! :)