BMR/Caloric intake

Options
I have been reviewing some of the posts by banks and found them very interesting. I still am struggling to understand the BMR/Calorie stuff so please don't be upset with me. Banks could you please take my personal information below and help me to understand how it works because I AM NOT LOSING ANY WEIGHT. I seem to be gaining. I burn between 600-700 cals from exercise which is not factored in yet

BMR 1469

Your Diet Profile Target

Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity 1,840 calories/day

Net Calories Consumed*
Your Daily Goal 1,200 calories/day

Daily Calorie Deficit 640 calories

Projected Weight Loss 1.3 lbs/week

Replies

• ladyhawk
    ladyhawk Posts: 101
    Options
    I have been reviewing some of the posts by banks and found them very interesting. I still am struggling to understand the BMR/Calorie stuff so please don't be upset with me. Banks could you please take my personal information below and help me to understand how it works because I AM NOT LOSING ANY WEIGHT. I seem to be gaining. I burn between 600-700 cals from exercise which is not factored in yet

BMR 1469

Your Diet Profile Target

Calories Burned From Normal Daily Activity 1,840 calories/day

Net Calories Consumed*
    Your Daily Goal 1,200 calories/day

Daily Calorie Deficit 640 calories

Projected Weight Loss 1.3 lbs/week
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    lady-I'm not sure what your question is?

but

Minimum calories needed to maintain current weight (no exercise) 1840
    With 1200 calories as your absolute minimum (so no starvation mode), you can only have a deficit of 640 calories max and not enter starvation
    Eat your exercise calories (say 300 for fast walk) log your exercise, then try to eat those calories, in addition to your 1200

You will still have a caloric deficit.

1840(maintainance)+300(exercise)=2140 this is what you would need to eat in order to NOT lose weight

1200(recommended minimum)+300(exercise)=1500 This is what you need to eat to lose that 1.3 pounds per week. You don't want to eat less than this because your body senses that loss in caloric intake below a certain number. You may lose the weight, but you won't be able to maintain because you can slow your metabolism down.

Does this help?

Banks and songbyrd are the resident experts-they can prob help more.
  • ladyhawk
    Options
    I understand what you're saying. Where does the BMR fit in this
  • firegirlred
    Options
    BMR is the energy your body requires to keep your heart beating, to keep your lungs breathing, and to keep life. Once you get up out of bed, you burn a few more calories than you would have by laying in bed all day. That's why BMR is lower than your "calories burned from normal daily activity."

The number that you get for BMR is like a foundation with which you build your energy needs (measured in calories) from. Then you have to add daily routine (the framework). Add excercise (the walls). And subtract the recommended deficit (the windows).

Sorry, got carried away with the construction analogies.

Make sure you enter your daily exercise and food intake, and as long as you remain at the recommended calorie intake or slightly above, you should lose weight at a healthy pace.

Hope this helps...
  • ladyhawk
    Options
    One more - So since MFP calculates 1200 cals for me and let's say I burn 700 which puts me at eating 1900 cals which is more than my maintenance (1840) will I still lose weight
  • ladyhawk
    Options
    I looked at your posting again and I got it!!! Thanks. What really would be happening is I would add the 700 to the 1840 which would put me at 2540 which is what I would need to maintain my current weight. But, 1200 cals + 700 from exercise = 1900 would still put me at a deficit of 640 the number deficit recommended for me in the first place. Am I right
  • firegirlred
    Options
    Thanks should go to all the people on this website. I've learned much from them. I only knew the answers because the people on here were willing to share their knowledge.
  • ladyhawk
    Options
    Thanks should go to all the people on this website. I've learned much from them. I only knew the answers because the people on here were willing to share their knowledge.

i edited my post - so, am I on the right track? Do you think I got it:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

i edited my post - so, am I on the right track? Do you think I got it:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Sounds like you've got it to me--!