I need support

Options
:ohwell: Im a college student and I feel like my schedule is so busy I dont ever find time to work out and I get easily defeated in weight loss. I need support anyone out there know what Im going through?

Replies

• HolsDoinIt
    HolsDoinIt Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    im not in college but i work 12.5 hours a day, have a 7yo and hardly have time for myself much less work out. But ive learned to add it in to my schedule. whether it be walking the day, playin w/ zumba on the wii, or just walking w/ the family..Keep up the motivation and remember why you began this journey to begin with...

I wish u luck
  • samborskill
    Options
    I am not in college but I am a working mom and I know it can seem overwhelming to find time to excercise - I try to remember that 10 minutes is better than nothing so if thats all the time I have I just do it and try not to feel guilty I didn't get in a full work out. GOOD LUCK!
  • lfrerman
    Options
    So you may not get 30 minutes or 1 hour blocks of time to get in your work out, start with 10 minute mini walks or jogs. 5 minutes of squats or lunges. I am a stay at home mom of 2 demanding kids, when I start my work out they scream and kick, I found some on itunes that are 20 minutes long and the kids can watch a short movie or play a game and just after 20 minutes I feel so much better! Some times it is not quantity of time but more the quality of the work out.
    You get the most out of push ups, sit ups lunges and squats. Get your cardio in when you can.
  • Carley650
    Carley650 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey dear...I totally understand! I have been in University for the past 8 years and have struggled with the balance. Your academics is your priority, but your health shouldn't have to suffer for it. For me, I found out that doing weight training and running actually made me a better student. When it was crunch time (exams, or many papers due) I wouldn't be able to make it to the gym, but I would limit my calorie intake and make sure no refined sugars or processed food that make you feel icky were allowed in my diet.

You have to find what works for you...but even with only 24 hours in a day, if you commit to 3-5hrs of workouts a week, it will payoff in the long run, both academically and physically.

Good luck, I know it's hard. This is a very stressful time, but exercise is the BEST stress reliever, and you can feel good about yourself (which will affect every aspect of your life).

All the best to you!
  • RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. When I was in college a couple years ago, it was hard for me to stay motivated to work out. What I found helped was a work out buddy and a schedule. For example, my friend and I had class together three times a week, neither of us had anything to do for several hours after that class, and it was close to the gym. So we made it a habit to go right after class, which didn't give us a chance to go home and get lazy.

Another thing that I found helped was all the walking. If I could walk instead of taking a cab, I did. If there was a long way, I took it. Even that little bit really helped. Invest in a mini-fridge and keep it stocked with healthy snacks instead of crap. Yogurt and veggies are good. Also, a kettle for tea or something is better than soda. I got a hot pot and made rice in it all the time instead of caving and grabbing a slice of pizza (which I still did pretty frequently). I learned all these things the hard way. I lost 25 pounds freshman year, instead of gaining them. Then it kinda all went to **** when I started working on my thesis . . .
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    though im not in college, I know how it is fitting working out in a busy schedule.

I work 2 jobs (m-f 6:45-3:15) and (MWS 4-10) My only choice was to get up early and go to the gym. I also take walks on breaks through out the day at my first job.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    also, if you want motivation...what works for me is reading people success stories and looking at the transformation people have gone through with before and after pictures.
  • OperaticAnnihilator
    Options
    wow. You all make this seem so much easier than it was just a couple of hours ago. I had to laugh earlier because I work on campus at my school and when i look out of our window there is a McDonalds, Burger King, and Taco Bell directly cross the street and that doesn't bother me at all anymore. But today when I looked out the window there was a little debbies truck that had a picture of swiss cake rolls and they looked so good. lol. I'm not even that big of a sweets person but, they looked so darn good. haha.....:happy:
  • MstarsElizabeth
    MstarsElizabeth Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Totally know what you're going through. I'm in Graduate School and I work full time. My school has a gym available to all students. I have one morning class, then the rest are evening classes. I take my work out clothes, and lock them in the lockers provided on campus in the morning when I go to my first class. This means even if I wanted to skip working out, I'd have to walk through the gym following a class to get my stuff to leave. It takes way less effort to just work out than to try and figure out how to get out of it. : ) I help myself by not making excuses.

I'm a Psychology student, so I'm reading a ton during my course work. If I have a night where I have lots of reading, I go to the gym, hop on the stationary bike, and starting reading. To be perfectly honest it makes the work out go by so quick, because I'm concentrating on something else.
  • OperaticAnnihilator
    Options
    I'm a music education major and I work on campus between all my classes, and I work in the afternoons at my other job which usually requires me to close which is at 10pm. I love riding my bike but at that time of night it's hard to ride on the rode. I live on a state HWY. I ride as much as I can but it seems that between work and school I dont hae but 15 minutes before the sun sets if any time at all.
  • bambee2013
    bambee2013 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am not new to site, but just started back again. It is hard for me to find time, but this time I am going to make keeping a food journal and execise my priority. I have a busy schedule also, but I seem to be very unhappy when I am so out of shape. The time change here in California kills me, because that means I have to do the treadmill, but I am gonna do that until March. I am 45yrs old and need to lose 20lbs. Anybody want to be my buddy???
  • misskelly121
    Options
    Im a senior in college, between class and work I don't seem to have a lot of time to work out and I find that eating healthy on campus is difficult with the dessert cases in the dining hall always full of yummy treats. Im just starting MFP so I feel the same way you do. Its a little overwhelming but Im hoping to stick to this! Good luck to you!
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    welcome back!
    im new here, 45 yrs old & have 80+lbs to lose so i'll be here for awhile.
    feel free to add me & we can support each other.
    best of luck
    ~wendy
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I completely understand how you feel! I'm a full time student, have a full time job, and have 2 kids. Luckily, I have a husband who shares the workload with the kids, but it's still a busy day in my house. Usually, I do the 25 minute Jillian Michaels 30DS during the week with Wednesdays off for church. I leave my big workouts for the weekends. During the week, I work out as soon as I walk in the door. I'm one of those people that my energy leaves my body when my shoes come off. On the weekend, my feet hit the floor and I grab a powerbar and get ready to exercise. This gets it out of the way early, and if I'm feeling good and have the time, I can add extra cardio or strength training. The hardest part is just making it part of the routine. Find a time that is fairly consistent, and force yourself to do it. After a few weeks, you'll get used to the routine, and it'll get easier! Just hang in there!