Microwaving Popcorn Warning

Options
OK, so here is a funny!! I have been reading the nutritional comments about microwave popcorn. One poster suggested microwaving regular popcorn in a paper bag. She said if you staple the bag the staples are not enough metal to cause a problem. Well, I thought, hey a wooden clothespin should do the trick......Guess what....they almost caught completely on fire within about 1 minute!!!! Do not try this at home!! The popcorn turned out great with no fats, no chemicals, just crunchy healthy popcorn!:smokin:

Replies

• ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: Good to know! I learned the don't microwave an egg in the shell the hard way! :embarassed: :bigsmile:
  • kvultaggio
    Options
    I just got a hot air popper. Also, did you know some microwave popcorn (like Pop Weaver) no longer use trans-fats in their light popcorn? I noticed they now use canola oil.
  • sallyLunn
    sallyLunn Posts: 381
    Options
    I bought a vintage air popper from a rummage sale for $3. It was the best $3 I've ever spent.
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I haven't had a microwave for almost 2 years -- and one of the best things about that is my hot air popper. It's quick, delicious, and there is something nostolgic about it. My parents had one and I remember popcorn snacks every Saturday night. Now I get to share that with my son.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I went back to good old oil popped popcorn a few years ago. It just tastes so much better!! Never cared for air popped popcorn...although the machines have probably come a long way, so it may be time to revisit it.

You don't actually need that much oil to do it the "old fashioned" way, and spraying a bit of olive oil on it when it's popped helps any salt/seasoning stick.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    A couple years ago I put a bowl of instant oatmeal in the microwave - forgetting to add the water! The oatmeal caught fire in just about one minute! It took days for the smell to leave the house.
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    Years ago I made my boyfriend breakfast in bed in a bid to impress him... the egg was opened and we found it was a little over easy, so microwaved it for 15 seconds, making sure I'd stuck the spoon in the yolk to burst the membrane. I took it out of the microwave and stuck a spoon in to check and the blooming thing still exploded. Rather than impress I was left, quite literally with egg on my face (and hair and ceiling and walls). :laugh:
  • watkinsc
    watkinsc Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ok, that is sooooo funny! Can you imagine the conversation with the insurance adjuster?
    "But ma'am the fireman said he found a clothespin in your microwave"
    "yeah, about that ... I'm really into healthy eating, and I was going to use staples, but well........."
  • kidtechnical
    Options
    oh, and I bought microwave popcorn 2 weeks ago then realised I no longer have a microwave :grumble:
    I just emptied the contents into a lidded saucepan and 3 minutes later - popcorn!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I learned not to microwave a leather shoe. :embarassed:

It was in high school, and I had to go to an aunt's funeral. So I had to dress nice. It was 1990, and pretty much all I wore was obnoxious cowboy boots or even more obnoxious sneakers. I had one pair of nice black dress shoes, but I'd glued silver glitter on them for Halloween. We washed the glitter off, but they were sopping wet. And it was February, so wearing wet shoes wasn't an option. Had to dry them fast.... "Hey, what about the microwave?!"

Long story short (too late) they curled up like frickin' elf shoes! And shrank. A lot. :laugh:

I ended up wearing my sister's shoes - two sizes too big - with tissues stuffed in the toes. I was seventeen years old, and still doing the same tricks my parents did to me when I was seven and they'd buy dress shoes a little too big so I'd grow into them. :tongue:

Although more than 20 years later, I still have problems when it comes to funerals. I like bright flashy clothes. I wore scrubs at my last job, so I don't own business-professional. And, honestly, who goes out shopping and thinks, "This would be just FABULOUS if someone dies?!"

I wore a bright and somewhat slinky bright red sweater to my father's funeral. And at the time, I had purple streaks in my hair. Certainly not somber, but he wouldn't have recognized me if I wasn't in something bright.