Hello all

Options
Well I just decided to make my first post and get to know everyone and also let everyone on here get to know me. I am 33 yrs old and after watching my weight slowly march up towards 300 I have decided that I need to do something about it. I am tired of wasting money on stuff to get in shape because I don't use it. I bought a Precor Elliptical about 3 years ago that has been nothing more than a $4500 paperweight and have been paying a for a gym membership that I dont use. So I canceled the gym membership and I started using the elliptical every other morning before work. I hate getting up at 4:30am to run but I HAVE to if I want to lose the weight and feel better about myself.

I started tracking my calories here about a week ago and actually using the calorie tracker has given me an extra ability to resist my cravings and urges. I sit in front of the control board at a power plant for 12.5 hours a day so it can get very boring and when I get bored I want to eat. It is a struggle but I am trying.

Anyway enough of my ramblings thanks for reading and I appreciate any comments that I receive. If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask them.

Oh my vitals:
5'10 205lbs of chiseled rock (opps that the goal)

I am 5'10 and started 2 weeks ago at 295lbs. Last weigh in was 290lbs

my actual goal is 200lbs.

Replies

• anorton45
    Options
    wow... 12.5 hours at a control board. That's rough. I love the elliptical, wish I had one. I have a wii and dance every night. It's a blast, I compete with myself trying to better my scores. 2 hours will go by before I know it. Oh, and go to http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm to calculate how many calories you need to eat. I did, changed my calories accordingly. I calorie cycle a 1000 calories lower than my target one day, closer to my target the next to keep my body guessing... LOL. But knowing I'm eating enough is helping alot. Way to go on your pounds lost so far!!!
  • amomg8
    amomg8 Posts: 1
    Options
    My husband has the same job as you and it is really hard for him to keep weight off also. He works a cycle of days and nights 12 hour shifts sitting at the control board makes it tough to get the exercise in that you need. His crew loves to cook big meals together also!
  • SoonToBeNewTracey
    Options
    Hello to you!

I started here at MFP a little over two weeks ago. The first thing I realized was how many calories and fat I was eating that I "forgot". ie. flavored creamer in my coffee, fast food, etc. Logging my food really has helped me to make better decisions. I have not given up the coffee with creamer, I just don't have it every day. I do love my Taco Bell, but make better choices there and not as often.

At the same time I cancelled my membership at the gym I was not going to and got a membership at a different gym. One that I was more comfortable with. Believe me, it makes a difference. The "old" gym was full of people that made me feel I was being judged. I could hear them thinking "what is that fat girl doing here in my gym?" I wasn't comfortable so I stopped going. The "new" gym is wonderful. They actually have signs all over that say "no judgement zone"! People even smile at you and are helpful and friendly. For the first week I was at the gym 4 days and did a exercise wii game at home one day. This week I was at the gym 3 days and hope to go today as well.

My first weigh in was last Monday and I had lost 2.6 lbs. I still feel super motivated, and think alot of that has to do with my best friend who has had great results so far. I hope to have my tracker showing 40 lbs lost by this summer. However, if it only shows 10 lost, it is still a loss and I will be happy.

I have found the support of others to be extremely helpful!! Feel free to add me, and we can help support each other!

Good luck to you!!
    Tracey
  • Nucleartiger
    Nucleartiger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have also started doing a mixed martial arts class that I make it to about once or twice a week (due to my work schedule). I have the Wii fit and used it a little bit but you can cheat so easily on the Wii that it just didn't do anything for me. I got a Kinect for my Xbox360 earlier this month and bought the Dance Central game and I am doing much the same as you. I keep doing the same routines over and over trying to increase my score and before I know it an hour has passed and I am sweating pretty good. So I try to mix that in at night if I wasn't able to run in the morning.
  • BillieDeacon
    Options
    5 lb's is great, keep up the good work! :)
  • Happy__Feet
    Options
    Hi! Welcome! :flowerforyou:

You're going to love it here!!! Everyone is so wonderful and supportive! I've lost 20 pounds over the last 6 months and most of it came off when I joined this site in October.

We are all here to support and encourage each other. If you need a "friend" send me a friend request and I'd be happy to cheer you on!! :happy:

Best wishes on your journey!
  • Nucleartiger
    Nucleartiger Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well I had kind of a cheat day. I worked out in the morning with push ups and 35 minutes on the elliptical. Then spent about 2 hours carrying furniture up and down the stairs in my house (How do I count that for exercise?) Unfortunately a friend was having a bonfire that he only does once a year so after having a quick huge calorie lunch and a couple beers at the bonfire was about 160 calories over my goal.

I guess a cheat day isnt bad every once in a while.