Motivation...

Options
Hi there. I am a 33 year old single mom of one boy. He is 10 and we hardly do a lot of activity. It's the lack of self-motivation and will-power. If there is anyone who can give me some tips on motivating myself and my son to get up and moving that would be awesome!
MyFitnessPal was suggested to me by my sister and I love it so far! It really shows you, (if you track your food intake and your exercise honestly and regularly) how much you really eat and move during your day. It's a real eye-opener and you can develop some friendships along the way with people that are going through the same thing as yourself.
So good luck to anyone and everyone looking to strive for a better you!

PS. In advance, thanks for the tips and support!

Am

Replies

• velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    this might sound a bit strange, but when I am unmotivated (and usually down about it) - about anything that I don't want to do - I go to bed, curl up in my blankets and have a pity party for about 10 -15 minutes. While I lay there, I think about how much better I will feel if I just get up and do whatever I was avoiding. I have done this with the gym, with work (I work from home on my own schedule...) and other things. FOR ME, I find that allowing myself the few minutes of baby-la-la time actually gets it out of my system (and sometimes I feel silly doing it and it gets me moving).

That, and with a 10yr old boy - there are so many things you can do together that is active (skating, walking, biking, going to the park and throwing a ball, etc.) that will not only be good to get you moving, but also good for mom / son bonding.

Good Luck with your goals and feel free to add me as a friend if you would like =)
  • MarthaSM
    Options
    I was a single mom for 6 years and I can relate to finding it hard to get motivated at times. A friend of mine suggested that i go on "Mommy and Son dates" with him where I'd turn off my phone and just focus on teaching him to be active and spending time with him. We've gone hiking, skating and even took some swimming lessons together (neither one of us knew how to swim), we also bought a Wii Fit and do that whenever the weather's kind of bad to go outside. We really enjoyed it, I re-married 3 years ago but my son and I still go on mom and son dates, it's a great way to bond :)
    I'm still 20 lbs away from goal but myfitnesspal has helped me to stay on track (especially with the community boards because you find people that have been there). Feel free to add me as a friend too, and good luck with your goals, you'll get there! :)