The scale isnt moving

Options
I have working out now for 3 weeks, I have cut out all sodas, fast food, candy, choc's etc. When I go to the gym, I start with 40 minutes of cardio either on the elliptical or the treadmill, then I alternate with upper body and lower body. Also this last week I have meeting a friend who is training me for my first 5k, Which I will be meeting him 3 times a week.
The scale has not budged, i know that muscle weighs more than fat (since im weight training also) but will I start to see it on the scale at some point? I dont think im platueing (however you spell it) b/c im constantly switching it up. Which brings me to my second question: I have been measuring myself and I notice that I have only lost inches in my neck and around the top of my chest, will I ever loose my pouchy belly? Is that normal. I feel a little discouraged, I have been busting my bottom for 3 weeks going to the gym 6 days a week! and from my waist down I still look the same!!

Thank you in advance!

Trish

Replies

• shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    3 weeks..c'mon give it more time, dont expect too much to fast or you might lose the big picture. Its takes a while and a lot of hard work to build muscle. You might have cut what you said but have you added what you need? Dont get disappointed keep your nutrition in top shape get your workouts in and you will see a change.
  • justinf67
    Options
    I have working out now for 3 weeks, I have cut out all sodas, fast food, candy, choc's etc. When I go to the gym, I start with 40 minutes of cardio either on the elliptical or the treadmill, then I alternate with upper body and lower body. Also this last week I have meeting a friend who is training me for my first 5k, Which I will be meeting him 3 times a week.
    The scale has not budged, i know that muscle weighs more than fat (since im weight training also) but will I start to see it on the scale at some point? I dont think im platueing (however you spell it) b/c im constantly switching it up. Which brings me to my second question: I have been measuring myself and I notice that I have only lost inches in my neck and around the top of my chest, will I ever loose my pouchy belly? Is that normal. I feel a little discouraged, I have been busting my bottom for 3 weeks going to the gym 6 days a week! and from my waist down I still look the same!!

Thank you in advance!

Trish

With your weight training, u are gaining muscle, while losing fat. The scale will not move as quickly. You are losing inches, so it is working. The key to working out and making a change is patience. You need to take a step back and realize that 3 weeks is a VERY short amount of time to expect huge changes. Keep at it, keep your diet clean and you will see progress.
  • doramouse
    doramouse Posts: 160
    Options
    Yes - give it time. I've started working out a million times and stopped after 2 or 3 weeks with no marked changes. This time I decided to take it slow - it's been 16 weeks and I'm down about 14 lbs. But it took 4 - 6 weeks to really see some changes.
    Keep on it - stay strong and KNOW that it took time to put it on and it takes time to take it off. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • sarahtroupe
    Options
    AWWWW Im the same way so i feel ya...I have been doin this for 3 wks I have only lost 2lbs and 3 inches but Im hoping to tweek some of the foods that I have been eatin.... But today I looked at my reports and OMG my sodium was through the roof..... LOL so imma make that change for the next 7 days and see what happens good luck.... The report tab at the top can tell u about everything ur eatin it even has suga sodium and etc...:smile:
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options

Thank you in advance!

Trish

1st: 1 lb of muscle and 1 lb of fat weigh the same...muscle doesn't weigh more than fat...it just looks different.

2nd: You don't say how many calories you are eating and how many you are burning. Are you eating your exercise points or just the base that the system tells you to start the day with? You may be eating too little which may be causing your body to go into starvation mode which will stall your weight loss

3rd: Don't get discouraged...gaining the weight took more than 3 weeks, it will take some time to lose it as well

4th: Good luck, you can do it. You may just have to play around with your calories in and out to get to a place that fits your life and goals
  • Godsflower1789
    Options
    ugh. dont you hate that?!?!

i get so discouraged, but the way you SHOULD be thinking is

"i'm doing this for my health" and not for the number on the scale.
    it will move if you are sticking to your diet and eating right, and exercising but unfortunately it takes more time to lose it than to gain it
    ]

good luck
  • jbrockman24
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. i have been working with a trainer for 8 weeks now ( 4 days a week with trainer) and have only lost 9 pounds. But I have lost 12% body fat percentage. Dont worry about what the "scale" says, use how you feel and how your clothes fit. Also - being a man, my biggest problem is by belly fat. It is where most of my fat went and it will be the hardest to lose. Hang in there and keep doing what you are doing. The rest will come! jb
  • jbrockman24
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. i have been working with a trainer for 8 weeks now ( 4 days a week with trainer) and have only lost 9 pounds. But I have lost 12% body fat percentage. Dont worry about what the "scale" says, use how you feel and how your clothes fit. Also - being a man, my biggest problem is by belly fat. It is where most of my fat went and it will be the hardest to lose. Hang in there and keep doing what you are doing. The rest will come! jb
  • kevinbc
    kevinbc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Do you know how many calories you are eating? Because with all the exercising you are doing you may not be getting enough, which could also be a reason you are not losing weight.
  • pmoore1225
    Options
    Well Good news to report! This week I measured myself and I have lost something everywhere AND!! The scale has moved too! I went from 199.2 to 195.2! I picked up jogging this week, as I am training for a 5k And I think that is what did it for me! I actually lost and inch around my belly, waist, and hips, and 1/2 of an inch in my legs! So im stoked.. I guess I just had to do something differnt.. Yes I do eat the recommended cal, plus I eat back my cal's after my workout!

THanks to all your posts, im definetely inspired, I even cried when I measured.. woooohooooo!!

Thanks again!

Trish
  • sarasotatim
    Options
    Your body will adjust, and get the correlation of metabolism correct...it takes a long time to put weight on, it can take a long time to take it back off...don't give up! :)