Protein Powder

Options
Hi,
I'm looking for suggestions on a protein that actually taste good being just shaken in a shaker bottle or stirred in a cup and does not have any artificial sweeteners. It can be unsweetened or sweetened with stevia but no sucralose or aspartame as I'm trying to rid my diet of them 100%. I really want to up my protein and while I have a mixer at work, its a bit of a hassle to use. Right now I have Jillian Michael's protein and Optimum nutrition natural. I can get them down shaken but they are way better blended. I've heard that Jay Robb is good, any suggestions?

Replies

• slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options
    I use Jay Robb. The chocolate, vanilla and strawberry taste very good just mixed with water. The sweetener used is stevia. I use the egg white protein, although the whey protein is supposed to be of better quality and easier assimilated.
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    chocolate gnc 100% whey and protien.
  • mandavann
    mandavann Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I use Jay Robb Egg White protein powder as well. Love them!
  • benedictinegirl
    Options
    Hey guys! Hate to burst your bubble, but protein powder hardly does anything except pack on the pounds (and not in a good way). So instead of wasting your money and gracing your town's sewer system, eat lean meats and a banana. That does WAY more good.
  • Skye76
    Skye76 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hey guys! Hate to burst your bubble, but protein powder hardly does anything except pack on the pounds (and not in a good way). So instead of wasting your money and gracing your town's sewer system, eat lean meats and a banana. That does WAY more good.

Admittedly, natural sources of protein are better than processed whey, but can you point to any scientific evidence at all that says that supplemental protein is useless?
  • cadams2004
    cadams2004 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I use the Jay Robb Whey Protein...Vanilla...sweetened with Stevia. I mix it in a shaker cup with some OJ in the morning when I am headed to work and don't have time for breakfast...works really well. Tastes good too!
  • PrincessNeali
    Options
    Jay Robb all the way! and a BIG PLUS with Jay Robb- NO cholesterol. But I do believe there is a smidgen of stevia. But I'd rather have this than the cholesterol
  • slimkitty
    slimkitty Posts: 418
    Options

Admittedly, natural sources of protein are better than processed whey, but can you point to any scientific evidence at all that says that supplemental protein is useless?

Tom Venuto claims protein is very thermogenic and speeds up the metabolism. He also claims it is better to have some protein throughout the day rather just at one or two meals. Soimetimes I get so busy I have no time to stop and eat a well balanced healthy snack. Chewing food in my meetings is not well accepted. However I can mix some protein powder in my water bottle and have that instead of a snack. That way my metabolism doesn't plummet due to lack of food. I also find that it keeps me full and I don't pig out at dinner.
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Tom Venuto claims protein is very thermogenic and speeds up the metabolism. He also claims it is better to have some protein throughout the day rather just at one or two meals. Soimetimes I get so busy I have no time to stop and eat a well balanced healthy snack. Chewing food in my meetings is not well accepted. However I can mix some protein powder in my water bottle and have that instead of a snack. That way my metabolism doesn't plummet due to lack of food. I also find that it keeps me full and I don't pig out at dinner.

I have been considering protein powder for just that reason!
  • PrincessNeali
    Options

Protein helps your muscles. I only use it after working out/ lifting weights, running for an hour etc. Read this:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Do-We-Need-Protein-For-Muscle-Recovery?&id=4476501
  • mandavann
    mandavann Posts: 38 Member
    Options

I'd rather not have chicken in my oatmeal....but thanks. :laugh:

I try to eat 40% fat, 40% protein and 30% fat so I have protein with every meal and I eat 5 meals a day. Protein Powder is an excellent way to get the protein in for some of my meals every once in a while.
  • tondalea
    tondalea Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, I'm going to pick up some Jay Robb. I literally had it in hand last time I was at GNC but couldn't get over the small bag and it wasn't cheap and I didn't even notice it coming in bigger sizes but I will give it a try.

benedictinegirl- Also, I do get in protein from fish, eggwhites and nuts but I do not eat meat and I'd like to get in some extra so I think the supplement is a good idea and its just that, a supplement not a replacement.
  • LonnaRox
    LonnaRox Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I like Trader Joe's Vanilla Soy Protein.
  • mark996
    mark996 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

This is horrible mis-information. A banana? That has about 1 gram a protein per 7 inches...there's more protein in something else that's 7 inches long...and a lot more fun. (I know that's tacky, but it's true.) Now, there are protein brands that DO end up in the toilet for a lot of people, for me...the overpriced GNC protein was one of those. Jay Robb is a great protein. I've had good success with Myotein, but I'd never pay for it, I got a good amount from a competition I was at, and it's been pretty good to me and my system.
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am currently taking the GNC AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60 in Chocolate flavor. There is barely any sugar in it (Literally like 1 g per scoop). The serving size is 3 scoop but it is like 280 cals so I just do 1 scoop with about 3/4 c of 2% milk after a workout and then eat like 2 hours after. It tastes like chocloate milk! The reviews rant and rave about it the only downfall (review-wise) is the price. But, if you only do 1/3 serving, like me, then it's worht it!
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you have an Earth Fare store near you, I buy their brand called "Show Me the Whey." Made with Stevia and the whey protein is manufactured from cows that are not given rBGH (an artificial growth hormone).
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell that to my gut that used to be 191 pounds and is now 142 and I use protein powder everyday.
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I use GNC AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60 in Chocolate flavor. 3 scoops is 280 calories, 60 g protein, 3 g sugar, 1 g fat. I use 1 scoop with some skim milk, a small banana and a tsp natural peanut butter. Yummy breakfast on the go.

It dissolves perfectly in a shaker too!
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I use GNC AMP Wheybolic Extreme 60 in Chocolate flavor. 3 scoops is 280 calories, 60 g protein, 3 g sugar, 1 g fat. I use 1 scoop with some skim milk, a small banana and a tsp natural peanut butter. Yummy breakfast on the go.

It dissolves perfectly in a shaker too!

I use the same one! It tastes like chocolate milk. Love it. But I only do 1 scoop for $ saving and I always eat after as well.
  • tondalea
    tondalea Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks Lonna, but I try to stay away from soy products.

Thanks Yalisa, Cherrieruns, will check out the GNC Amp too.

Agree Lyadeia. I dont use it everyday but will start to use it once a day and i'm down almost 40. Not sure where the bad info came from about protein powder.

Dont think we have an earth fare but will check into it.