Kettlebells

Options
I just started doing Jillian Michael's Shred it with Weights Kettlebell workout. But I'm not sure how to log it in my exercises. I don't have a HRM, so I have to approximate the calorie burn with something listed.

Any tips?

Thanks!!

Replies

• frisk72682
    frisk72682 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey! I am currently OBSESSED with kettlebells lol Hers is a good one..The way I figure it, I've looked at several websites and the majority state that using kettle bells usually burns approximatley 15 calories a minute...so if i do her 25 min workout, I put in that I burned 375 calories.

If you think about it, doing all that non stop cardio is like doing running or an elliptical times 2! I usually burn about 320 calories in a 25 minute elliptical session. I'm currently 5'6 and 145lbs if that helps at all

P.s. Next, order the kettlebell dvd's that Bob Harper does....They're 10xs the intensity. I almost passed out the other day when i first tried it! And his go for 50 minutes!!!

Good luck : ) Hope this helps
  • misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have been doing the 30DS but just with hand weights. I have been using circuit training under cardio. I am hoping its close. I don't have a HRM, but others have told me they are doing that too. Wish someone would add it to the database :wink:
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I have a question for you all.... what is the weight of the kettlebells Jillian has you using in the video?
    Thanks!
  • Nadyasmom
    Nadyasmom Posts: 281
    Options
    In the video, there are two other women with Jillian. One is the "modifier" and she uses light handweights. The other is the "advanced". As far as the weight goes, it's really up to you. Most suggest starting with a 10 lb kettlebell, but I have a set of a 5 lb, 10 lb, and 15 lb. I use mostly the 10 or 15 lb kettlebell. I never use the 5.

Frisk-thank you! I didn't know Bob had one! I'll definitely get it next!!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My kettlebells are 20 and 25lbs - these do not get used the same as dumbells, so 10lb kettlebell is not like using a 10lb dumbell, they in essence feel lighter. Read Lorna Kleidman's book - BodySculpting for Woman.
  • icklewhit
    Options
    Hi everyone, newbie to myfitnesspal but found the kettlebell topic!!! Hooray- love them and have been using them to workout for over a year now. Anyway, I asked my trainer last night how much on average would a woman burn in an hour of intense kettlebell workout and he estimated approx 550-600 cals for me. He said for men roughly 700-750. Of course it depends on height, current weight, and the actual weight of the kettlebell and how hard you are working!! Currently I'm working on 12kg (26lb), and am not fit to move after the class!! I think 15 cal per minute is an overestimation as the people used in that study which has been quoted om many websites were very fit and the workout was very intense.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    My kettlebells are 20 and 25lbs - these do not get used the same as dumbells, so 10lb kettlebell is not like using a 10lb dumbell, they in essence feel lighter. Read Lorna Kleidman's book - BodySculpting for Woman.
    Great thanks!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I would love to try kettlebells, but I've never had any instruction on how to use them. Is there a DVD you'd recommend that would help teach me a little bit more about it, so I don't get hurt?

Shannon
  • Nadyasmom
    Nadyasmom Posts: 281
    Options
    I went to a class first to kind of get a feel for what it was all about.

I currently use the Jillian Michael's "Shred it with Weights" dvd and she has a brief tutorial. She doesn't explain much during the actual workout though, so I'd say watch the tutorial a few times and really get comfortable with it before jumping right in.

Good news is that hte dvd is only 10 bucks. Kettlebells cost quite a bit though, so maybe buy the dvd, or see if you can rent it first (netflix has it) to see if you like it before getting everything. ;)
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    bump
  • frisk72682
    frisk72682 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you do Bob 's workout...pause it every 10 minutes or so and take a minute or two break!! It will help you last! :happy:
  • mandavann
    mandavann Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I just started doing Jillian Michael's Shred it with Weights Kettlebell workout. But I'm not sure how to log it in my exercises. I don't have a HRM, so I have to approximate the calorie burn with something listed.

Any tips?

Thanks!!

If you search under the cardio section (not the strength training) for your exercise there is weight lifting/strength training and then you put your minutes in. Try that and see it might work.
  • Fatbully
    Options
    Hi there:)

I'm glad you started this and proud of you!!! It is a hard but fun workout and I've researched the calories for myself and here you go. Kettlebell is reported at burning 20 calories per minute. I bought a 5lb kettlebell to start out with and it came with a DVD that lasts 45 minutes. That's 900 calories! Here's a link for more information and there are so many other links out there. _http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/news/20100212/kettlebell-workouts-burn-calaories-fast_

My husband has progressed to the 30lb. (crazy) bell and I use the 5lb. It turns out that the instructor on his video moves too fast for me and makes me fear momentum injuries. If you are interested in the one I bough, which makes full use of that incredibly light 5 pounder (IN A BIG WAY), let me know and I'll get you the information. My DVD is split so you can do them in segments for a light workout if you don't have time to do all three and she makes it a lot of fun, doesn't miscount (like my husband's DVD instructor does) and she is recognized with her own site in physical fitness.

I'd say good luck but this is too fun to not enjoy. I know you'll have fun:)
  • Fatbully
    Options
    You can buy them at Walmart for real cheap and the DVD comes with it. :)
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Having used kettlebells and heart rate monitors, I can tell you from experience that you will not burn 15-20 calories per minute. A good average would be 10-12, and that assumes a very high heart rate and NO breaks. I am a fit 56 year old male and weight 155 lbs. I use 33 and 44 Lb KBs (16 & 20 Kg). If you are tracking calories for exercise, most people are grossly overestimating their burn. I think it is better to err on the low side when estimating caloric burn.
  • missyleighRN82
    Options
    You need to be very careful when it comes to kettlebells. If you don't have the proper form you can really hurt yourself. I LOVE Kettlebells. However, I recently learned which trainers to use and which ones not to. I love Bob and Jillian. However, they are NOT RKC certified in kettlebell training. I own Jillian's kettlebell dvd and she does a lot of the moves very wrong. I actually hurt my back doing her dvd.
    I know it is cheap, but I would rather pay for proper instruction then get hurt all the time. I would check out Lauren Brooks, Andrea Ducane, and look up information on dragondoor.com. I know their dvds aren't as "flashy" as Jillian's dvd, but it shows proper form and it will kick your butt. You will be amazed with the difference when you are actually doing it right.
    Hope this helps
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    I have a question for you all.... what is the weight of the kettlebells Jillian has you using in the video?
    Thanks!

I have been doing Jillian's DVD and it recommends up to 8 lbs. That has been working for me. Anything more than that and the move she calls the "snatch" (swinging it with one arm up above your head and quickly swinging it back down) could possibly hurt your shoulder.
  • jcb2kds
    jcb2kds Posts: 40
    Options
    You need to be very careful when it comes to kettlebells. If you don't have the proper form you can really hurt yourself. I LOVE Kettlebells. However, I recently learned which trainers to use and which ones not to. I love Bob and Jillian. However, they are NOT RKC certified in kettlebell training. I own Jillian's kettlebell dvd and she does a lot of the moves very wrong. I actually hurt my back doing her dvd.
    I know it is cheap, but I would rather pay for proper instruction then get hurt all the time. I would check out Lauren Brooks, Andrea Ducane, and look up information on dragondoor.com. I know their dvds aren't as "flashy" as Jillian's dvd, but it shows proper form and it will kick your butt. You will be amazed with the difference when you are actually doing it right.
    Hope this helps

I own the JM Shred it With Weights, Lauren Brooks' first dvd as well as the dvd that came with my danskin 10 lb kettlebell. I do see a difference in dvds. Lauren Brooks (who is certified) actually has a tutorial at the beginning where she shows you how to properly do each exercise. The JM and danskin ones don't really show you what to do nor show the correct form before actually getting into the workout. They all kick my butt though! I would recommend the Lauren Brooks iPod/iPhone version if you have iTunes. It's way cheaper (about $20) and you don't have to have an iPod/iPhone, just itunes. Just watch it off of your computer.

I am kind of curious about how effective kettlebells are for weight/fat loss. I have been using the 10lb for about 6 weeks/5-6 days a week/30-40 mins a day. I have only lost 3lbs so far:-(, but have lost 4.5 inches around my waist:-). I log cals burned at about 10 cals per min since I don't have a HRM. Maybe I should add some more cardio? Eat less carbs? I am sticking to kettlebells though. I love them! Plus, I've noticed that I can run whole 1.5 miles w/o stopping. Which, I couldn't do before.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I am kind of curious about how effective kettlebells are for weight/fat loss. I have been using the 10lb for about 6 weeks/5-6 days a week/30-40 mins a day. I have only lost 3lbs so far:-(, but have lost 4.5 inches around my waist:-). I log cals burned at about 10 cals per min since I don't have a HRM. Maybe I should add some more cardio? Eat less carbs? I am sticking to kettlebells though. I love them! Plus, I've noticed that I can run whole 1.5 miles w/o stopping. Which, I couldn't do before.

I use 20 and 25lb kb for my workouts with them and burn about 10 calories per minute. They are great for cardio and strength training, however, I would also add more cardio IMO, I ran when I did just kb routines as well. I use a 40/40/20 split on Protein/Carb/Fats. 4.5" in a bunch in 6 weeks good job. The scale can be so deceiving, a lot of it IMO depends on how much weight you need to really lose, sound like you are toning. KB gave me really great shoulders. I would also balance the KB work with a day of Yoga as you need it for the stretching and break from the KB day.

I'm totally in agreement, find someone certified to learn from - even if it's just a video. I've heard so many people on these board talk about JM using improper form. I haven't seen her video, but I learned a bunch in the BodySculping for Women by Lorna Kleidman, she is a world KB champ and knows her stuff. IMO, an 8lb kb really isn't much good and you aren't getting the full effect and benefits of the KB, thats really light for the motion movements. I'm ready to upgrade to a 30lb soon. My problem, I do it in a room with a low ceiling and keep putting wholes or dents in.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    ACSM or ACE I can't remember which studied kettlebells and got an average of 6.4 METs. Multiply the METs by your weight in kilograms to get calories per hour. You can then divide by 60 to get an estimate of your calories per minute. I added Kettlebells for my exercises with that calorie burn personally.