Scale or no scale?

Options
I've been hearing mixed messages from all over on the use of a scale. Sometimes I hear it is an essential to weight loss to check your weight at least once a week, if not more. Yet on the other hand, I hear not to weigh yourself because of gain in muscle or other factors. Does anyone have personal success or preference towards either of these? Right now I am scale-less and am debating whether I should purchase one myself or attempt to keep using my body tape

Replies

• colonelangus
    Options
    I weigh myself whenever I feel like it just to see what's going on, but I mainly am looking for body fat. Get a good body fat scale. They're off probably, but it gives you a baseline. Good luck.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I used to NEVER use a scale - didn't even own one and I stayed on my diet and workout routine perfectly. I always felt good about myself. As I got a little older and my metablolism started to change I decided I needed to keep myself in check. Sometimes I love them and sometimes I hate them, but now I am addicted to my weekly weigh in. Last week I gained a pound, but I fit back into pants that I had grown out of. Needless to say, I don't think they are always 100% accurate because you have to take into account water weight, muscle, etc. In the beginning of your weight loss journey they are great. The fitter you get, the harder it is to deal with them!
  • LifeMeansSoMuch
    Options
    It is up to you if you want to weigh yourself everyday (recommended in the morning though) because for some thats a great motivation but for me it wasnt the case... I hate the scale as of now lol I've joined mfp on the 4th of january and i've learned that if you get discouraged easily than the scale isnt right for you.. I still will get on it maybe once a month or so.:smile:

4405635.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Starting Weight 173lbs
    Midway Weight Goal 140-145
    Goal Weight 130-125
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I'm leaning towards getting one soonish, but my last one I had was a disaster. Got it from Wal-Mart and you could get on twice, 1 minute apart and gain or lose 10 lbs. Then again, it wasn't a good one so maybe I'll invest in a good one
  • colonelangus
    Options
    Blue, look into the Escali body fat scale at Amazon or Walgreens (free shipping), it gets great ratings and has worked for me perfectly. Sorry if this is considered spam, it's just an honest tip.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I don't consider it spam, quite helpful! thank you! my mom got one at Ocean State Job lot a couple years ago and it is amazing! I've wanted to steal it from her many times, so I'll check those out and see what I can find. The tape is helpful, and shows results (1 inch in 2 weeks!) but I'm one that likes to see some weight loss itself as well. Thank you again!
  • colonelangus
    Options
    You're welcome. They're usually around 44 bucks, but on a good day you can get one on sale for like 35. I just like that they give you weight, body fat and body water. Again, I don't expect it to be doctor's office accurate, but it gives you a baseline at least to go off of.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    Gotta be better than Wally World ones. And sadly, some of the doctor's ones I have tried were bad as well. The one at my dad's cardiologist said I weighed 5 lbs less than I do, although I would have loved to accept that
  • colonelangus
    Options
    Exactly, my experience also. So even a cheap scale isn't going to be much worse and this type at least gives you some body fat info. And please go off body fat and how you want to look, not strictly weight. Weight is deceptive, especially when you are exercising.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    yeah, my mothers did the same thing. I still love my body tape because it shows fat loss more than muscle. my family has always been more muscular, not thin so muscle weight gain is very easy for me. I never take scales too much to heart, but its nice as a basic tracker
  • butterflyfaerie
    butterflyfaerie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing mixed messages from all over on the use of a scale. Sometimes I hear it is an essential to weight loss to check your weight at least once a week, if not more. Yet on the other hand, I hear not to weigh yourself because of gain in muscle or other factors. Does anyone have personal success or preference towards either of these? Right now I am scale-less and am debating whether I should purchase one myself or attempt to keep using my body tape

I've been told it depends on personal preference. I myself weigh myself once a week, 6am on a Wednesday morning, and ensure to wear the same clothes every time I do. That way you're controlling all variables (clothes weight/time of day etc.) that you can to get an accurate reading
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    I’m looking to buy a scale that also measures body fat. My current scale is cheap and analog, and it about 15 years old. My preference, though, is to only weigh myself and take measurements once a month. I’ve stuck to that this month, but I have tried on a tight pair of jeans to see how they were fitting. (Loose!)
  • jlewis121186
    Options
    nope, no scale here...creates a hostile living environment, lol...

no, we have a wii fit plus and i will use it for my weight about once a week, but i take my measurements 2x a week to see "real" results...i couldnt care less what my weight is, as long as i get to the measurements that i want...

gotta remember...one pound of weight is like a gallon of milk while a pound of muscle is a 16oz steak...fat is bigger than muscle and thats what matters to me!