What was your straw that broke the camels back?

Options
13»

Replies

• mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Mine was this past Christmas at my daughters for Christmas dinner, she took pic's of everyone there. She took a pic of me playing on the wii with my youngest daughter. Posted it on FBK and I saw it a day or two later and was floored. I really have never seen myself that large, and it was like running into a brick wall... I started on New's Year Day and said NO MORE.... It's been good since, and I will achieve my goal...
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I think, too, the thing that made me "wake up" was realizing that I'm always telling people how to take pictures of me LOL I would tell them what angle, position, etc to snap just a simple pic. That's not right.

Even my 'go to' angles were failing.

Big time. LOL
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My parents. My mom cooked most meals at home but she wasn't the greatest cook so we had a lot of processed foods. It was never anything that was obviouslly unhealthy, and nobody was overweight. My dad had had heart troubles in the past and recently found out he has diabetes. NOW, in his 70's, he has to change his diet. I started eating healthier when I was in my 20's so I know how daunting it can be. Especially when you learn that things you used to enjoy, and you thought were healthy, are actually not the best choices.
    Now, with my dad's diagnosis, I'm moving into a much more natural diet for myself as well. I had always been eating cold/boxed cereals, healthy choice (or similar brands) frozen dinners, diet versions of everything... and I thought I was so healthy. Yes, there are worse choices, but my parents thought they were making good choices as well. So now I'm trying to go as natural as possible. I still have some things to shuffle around and adjust, but I can tell you that it is MUCH easier for me to do since I was already kind of conscious of what I was eating than for my dad who is having to get used to the flavors. They actually come to me for advice LOL.

And, yes I realize that the flavors from the more ntaural versions of something, ie: sprouted/whole grain bread as opposed to white bread, are so much better but if you're used to the processed things than it can be an aquired taste.
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    motivating stories - good luck everyone on your journeys :flowerforyou:
  • digby765
    digby765 Posts: 163
    Options
    :noway: :noway: I had been really slack looking after my health/weight, and am now almost twice (in weight) the woman i used to be, my knees hurt going upstairs, i injured them last summer and they haven't been the same since, and i know all this weight isn't helping the situation. At my fittest/slimmest i was a size 10/12 in jeans, now i'm a size 18 pushing a 20, I love fashion and especially shoes, I want to wear what i want, not the horrid things that fit :grumble: , only one way to be able to do that and thats to drop a couple dress sizes, so here i am:happy: .....Yvonne :flowerforyou:
  • jaitken_22
    jaitken_22 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to try lose weight seriously for years but MFP is the first thing that has made me keep on track and I am doing well so far with it. There are several reasons which made me decide now is the right time to lose weight and get healthy:

- Looking at recent photos of myself and seeing the double chin and the rolls of fat and the fat arms
    - I'll be 28 this year and I have never been slim.. I realise that I'm not getting any younger and I want to sort myself out while I still can
    - Not being able to wear nice clothes because shops do it up to a certain size. I hate that a UK size 14 is classed as large. I'm an 18-20 so god knows what that is!
    - I calculated my BMI and I am just in the "obese" category, I have another 2.4 whatevers before I'm classed as "overweight" and will have to fight to get my BMI to "healthy"
    - Holding up my clothes when folding them up and seeing how big they are... I realise that this fits me and I'm THAT size!
  • Suzy_B
    Suzy_B Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Mine was when I happened upon the MFP app on my phone & out of pure curiosity decided to log that days meals. Wow...I was shocked, over 2500 calories, way over the fat recommended & so much sugar that I was grateful I had not yet become diabetic. Have stuck with it for nearly a month now & have no plans on going back to eating like that ever again. I had searched weight lose apps because I hit that number on the scale that I vowed I'd never be.
  • arwsgirl
    arwsgirl Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    1. My husband tagged me in a picture he uploaded to his facebook and it not only offended me but pissed me off.......Why? Because that picture "made me" look like a whale. So, when I confronted him about it, his response was "What's wrong with that picture, it's a good picture of you and Ally (my daughter)." I was absolutely disgusted with myself, because that person in that picture, that whale, was me and that is how I looked to the entire world. The picture did not make me look fat, that's who I was! :frown:

I couldn't agree more! I'm a photographer and I absolutely hate being in front of the camera because I look like a whale. The result is that I have very few photos of me and my girls and I hate that as well.
  • columbiasmiles
    columbiasmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My doctor and the nutritionist basically told me I was fat the nutritionist added that I was toxic as well, LOL ..
  • carolyng66
    carolyng66 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to lose weight and get in shape on my own for far too long. I'm gaining muscle but not losing fat. My 14 jeans which used to fit me fine is not very snug. I don't want to go to a 16. Maybe keeping track of what I eat and the excercises I do will help me tweek a program that will finally take the fat off.