Truvia and other "natural sweeteners"

Options
I am trying to get back on track with my diet and exercise plan after a flare up and excess meds. Sugar in my coffee throughout the day has added immensly to my packing on more pounds. I do like black coffee sometimes, but in the morning I like a little sweet so I am trying the Truvia which is supposed to be more natural than splenda or nutrasweet which is a no no in our home due to my sons allergies. My question is has anyone tried it and had good results switching to this product? Any tips on cutting the craving for sweets?

Replies

• RedfootDaddy
    RedfootDaddy Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Tea! Find some sweet teas - like DAVIDsTEA Creme Brulee or something like that - which are sweet but have no calories, no sugar, no sodium, no nothing but flavour.

Another thing I like to snack on is dried fruit. Sweet and full of sugar, but way better for you than candy.
  • RLeighP
    RLeighP Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I love Truvia. I just like the fact that it doesn't have that artificial taste like Splenda does. I use it to cook with, in my tea, in my coffee, and it's worked great.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    my biggest and very successful tip: just get rid of the sweets in your home and around you!!! It will not be eacy for a few days, but once you are without them, you cannot crave them. So long as you eat sugar, you will crave it. Just like smoking or alcohol.

Good luck!
  • imagineaballoon
    Options
    I personally did not like the weird aftertaste Truvia had. I don't drink coffee, so I'm not sure if that makes a difference, but I tried it in my tea and didn't care for it. Agave Nectar and/or raw sugar has been the best bet for me in replacing refined sugar, but I'm not sure you're looking for a replacement for white sugar or all sugar? When I gave up sugar, I just had to do it cold turkey. It took about a week or so of fatigue and mild headaches but once it was out of my system, I felt GREAT. I didn't even crave it anymore.
  • stephn1
    stephn1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    artifical sweeteners have always given me headaches. So I was leary about trying the Truvia but it doesn't give me headaches so I use it on my fruits etc. I have been using it almost a year.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    we use pure stevia , but i think truvia is the same. we love it. splenda hurt my joints, but i've had no effects from stevia. and bottle says you can use it in cooking up too 400 degrees. lil bit of pure stevia goes a long way. just the dust that comes up is sweeter than a spoonful of sugar.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I personally did not like the weird aftertaste Truvia had.

I agree - I recently gave it away, while it sweetened my coffee, there was always this weird aftertaste that I just couldn't handle - rather drink it black!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I have tried it and I like it. It is more sweet than sugar so 1 packet lasts me for 3-4 cups of coffee.

I'm a big fan of weaning myself off of sweetness I find the less I have the less I crave most difficult for the first 2-3 weeks, then it gets easier.

Sugar (and artificial sweetners) increase your appetite.
    This was something I figured out for myself even before I'd had the science explained to me by biochemists, nutritionist and diabetics (I'm an artist, I keep forgetting the actual science, so I keep asking to have it explained to me)

Lately I've been keeping an eye on the sugar content of "REAL" foods, turns out a lot of them have a ton of sugar.
    Personally I'd rather have my real food be REAL FOOD and save the sugar to enjoy a TREAT now and again.

I had a lean cuisine meal the other day that 18g of sugars in it. Holy Mackeral!!! that's twice as much sugar as my favorite cookies (9g for 15 cookies). Sure, the lean cuisine only had 320 cal, but I was starving all evening and that leaves me with 2 choices... SUFFER or EAT MORE. Suffering all the time is the express route to my giving up all together.

I have also found that if I have a diet (yes, diet) soda there is no way I ever have the willpower to stay in my calorie range.
    When you eat so that your are satisfied you don't need to rely on willpower so much.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Truvia and Purvia are not pure Stevia and are made with GMO(Genetically Modified Organism) plants.

Truvia is owned by Coca-Cola and Purvia is owned by Pepsi-Cola Companies.

That should tell you a lot about how "healthy" these products are.

We should go with what is natural with nothing added to it.
  • imagineaballoon
    Options
    I have also found that if I have a diet (yes, diet) soda there is no way I ever have the willpower to stay in my calorie range.
    When you eat so that your are satisfied you don't need to rely on willpower so much.

This is my observation, too. If I have a Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper (and I used to drink them ALL.THE.TIME.) I crave sugar badly, and it also leaves me feeling much hungrier than if I have even an iced tea sweetened with agave nectar or even one pack of Sweet n Low. Sugar is bad news, even (and maybe especially) artificial sugar. :(
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Truvia! I use a packet in my coffee and a packet in my yogurt. It is very sweet and tastes really good!