Hip hurts

Options
Almost every time I run or after running for a long period of time, my right hip starts to hurt to the point were im almost limping. Does anyone know what that could be from. Im stretching after running and sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesnt. This really sucks cause i enjoy jogging. To be more specific it feels like the hip joint socket. :/

Replies

• klthomas59
    klthomas59 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it is not sciatica? Make sure you have good shoes.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Visit ur chiro practer!
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    Does it only happen after running? id LOVE to get into running but i have athritis in my hips and back, so thats impossible for me
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Amen!! I had the same problem and see my chiropractor regularly. Part of my problem he says is that my IT band, which is the ligament that starts from your pelvis and runs down the outside of your thigh to your knee, is pulled. It's taken some time, but chiropractic has helped.

Your hip and socket may not be aligned properly.
    Visit ur chiro practer!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I've got the same thing going on with any kind of high impact exercise. Need to take a few days off to see if it gets better but I don't want to do that.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't you ask your doctor this question?

It seems like you need some days of upper body work and low impact exercises. You can switch off with biking, elliptical, or rowing.
  • pete370
    Options
    Is it your hip flexor? If so, I've had a similar problem for a long time. Went to the doctor for it, and they showed me a stretch to help. Have you tried this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKFJOTk-cUE

This guy kind of talks a lot, but you get the idea! Good luck!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Do you have decent running shoes? I mean proper running shoes not plimsoles, cross trainers or fashion shoes.

Do you have flat feet? This could lead to pronation (the ankle collapsing inwards on impact), and that in turn can lead the femur to roll inwards and aggravate the hip bursa.

Google Bursitis of the greater trochanter or Trochanteric Bursitis and see if the symptoms sounds similar to what you're experiencing.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Definitely need proper running shoes. Do you have flat feet? High arches? Proper shoes & support for your weight? Is it only when you run? It can all affect not only your hips, but your back as well. With all of that considered, you may want to consult a chiropractor too. Some people's legs aren't the same length either & there are inserts that you can put into your shoe. A chiropractor should be able to help you with that as well.
  • Sassy_H
    Sassy_H Posts: 11
    Options
    I have had the same problem and was hobbling around last week. I went to see my physio and she said it was my IT band. She massaged my legs and glute's which were really tight, then showed me how to stretch properly. Since then I've been ok and have managed to continue to increase my running time without crippling myself!