Can't eat enough

Options
Does anyone else have problems eating back all the calories they burn off from working out? I always aim to make my net cals 1,400 (I'm allowed 1,600 per MFP). When I go to the gym or a fitness class I burn so much off I end up having to eat over 2,000 cal most days. Since I started dieting my body has gotten used to healthy food and gets upset when I eat something fattening. I end up having to force myself to eat just to prevent my body from going into starvation mode. Any suggestions on what I can do?

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    you don't want to eat something fattening just to get more calories in. Try some nuts or protein shakes.
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'm of the don't eat if you're not hungry group........

but, if you insist on eating, then eat something high in cals for little volume, like nuts, nut butter, avocado, etc.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Your net calories only need to be above 1200, not 1400.
    If you have trouble eating that just incorporate healthy fats into you diet. like nuts and advocado, they are dense, healthy and high calories.
    Good luck
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My calorie goal is 1210 but I usually exercise at least 1000 calories every day so my goal is 2200. Its a lot. I eat frequently and if I find myself with more than at 200-300 calorie deficit at the end of the day I will have something with more calories but healthy like nuts, peanut butter, or a protien shake. You can check out my diary.

Definitely eat those calories though. I was leaving a 600-700 deficit and I stopped losing the weight. I also discovered I was binging every couple of days, like my body was trying to make up for the lost calories. Now that I stay within that 200-300 range, I am on such a better, even keel and I'm losing again.

The only other alternative is to exercise a little less but I find that hard to do since I really enjoy it.

Good luck!
  • alliegator89
    alliegator89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Your net calories only need to be above 1200, not 1400.
    If you have trouble eating that just incorporate healthy fats into you diet. like nuts and advocado, they are dense, healthy and high calories.
    Good luck

I know that, but only eating 1,200 makes me nervous. what if I have counted wrong? I used to have an eating disorder so I don't want to get too close to the too few calories line.
  • TiniTurtle
    TiniTurtle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    i don't think that you should eat if you're not hungry. your body won't go into starvation mode unless it is deprived for a period of time, not just a few days. if you've had your ideal caloric intake before your workout & aren't hungry after then there is no reason to force yourself. your body is hungry when it is lacking nutrients and it sounds like you're ok not eating back those calories your burnt off. :o)