Protein Shakes??

Options
Sort of questioning whether to drink protein shakes for Breakfast.. I have always thought protein shakes made it so you gain weigh?? maybe I am wrong but all the men I know take protein shake to bulk up and that is NOT the route I am on.. I have see the powder stuff they use on the Biggest Loser.. What are some good ones that will not make it harder to take off the weight but help get more nutrients and feel fuller longer...?????

Replies

• HW2Hottie
    HW2Hottie Posts: 100
    Options
    I would say it depends on your workout. After I workout hard, I need it build lean muscle so I'm not getting flabby as I loose and such. You also have to know your body, you don't want too much protein, especially if you bulk up easily. I build muscle before anything else so I have to be careful and balance it. Hope this helps.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Essentially, protein is needed for muscle repair after working out. There's nothing wrong with having it for breakfast as protein does keep you fuller longer, as long as it's put to use for a workout. Too much protein intake with nowhere to go can affect kidneys later on, so just be aware of your protein intake.
  • fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    proteins powders are all different. take a look at the nutrition label.... I use 100% protein powder from costco and its only got 130 calories per serving with 22g of protein. I use it as a post workout meal =)
  • fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    p.s not to contradict "army wife" but you are a woman and you have a female hormone called estrogen which keeps you from getting manly bulking muscles... plus protein alone cant do that to you, you would need to combine heavy weight lifting

so dont be afraid to consume protein in fear of bulking up and getting big muscles because it simply doesnt happen like that =)
  • CrankyButt
    Options
    I like Tara's Whey. A serving has around 20 grams of protein but only 100 calories. I make a smoothie with that, some frozen fruit, a banana and some liquid, depending on what's handy, and it ends up in the 300 - 400 calorie range. I'm always very full afterwards.

I prefer the vanilla flavor but they have others and depending on where you get it, you can get just a serving in various flavors to sample. That's one thing I'd recommend - to sample stuff before you buy a big carton of it. Some powders can be very salty or just taste plain bad, and everyone has their own preferences.

I also agree with the others that drinking extra protein should depend on what you're doing with it. I personally only have a smoothie if I've had a really intense workout or if my workout comes at a strange time and a solid meal would be too much before or after.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    i had to get it because i couldn't hit my protein numbers. i use Pure Protein Whey Protein. 25g of protein and 130 calories. i usually have in the morning and sometimes in the evening after workout. i have had no kidney issues from having 2 servings in a day. I like it in milk. good for smoothies.
    women body builders take testosterone and do bours of weight lifting to bulk up.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    i had to get it because i couldn't hit my protein numbers. i use Pure Protein Whey Protein. 25g of protein and 130 calories. i usually have in the morning and sometimes in the evening after workout. i have had no kidney issues from having 2 servings in a day. I like it in milk. good for smoothies.
    women body builders take testosterone and do bours of weight lifting to bulk up.

Well, the kidney issues would only occur over a long period of time of protein overload and having the protein saturate in the body. It's just a worst-case scenario. The bottom line is protein shakes are fine. Just don't drink em simply because they taste good as a meal.
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    Essentially, protein is needed for muscle repair after working out. There's nothing wrong with having it for breakfast as protein does keep you fuller longer, as long as it's put to use for a workout. Too much protein intake with nowhere to go can affect kidneys later on, so just be aware of your protein intake.

Thanks for posting this! I had no idea you could actually get too much protein!
  • lovewinz
    Options
    Shakeology (a beach body product) is a great protein shake with low sugar, high fiber and really keeps you full...it is however very pricey. (The chocolate is delicious with some frozen fruit added)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Thanks for posting this! I had no idea you could actually get too much protein!

It's an awful lot of protein that does that to you...more than you will ever get just by having a protein shake for breakfast...

The whole "it kills the kidneys" thing is true, but what most people don't know is that in these controlled lab studies the subjects are overloaded with more protein than what our normal diets entail. I eat around 30-40% of my daily calories from protein, have done so for years, and my kidneys function just fine. :flowerforyou: