BEYOND EXHAUSTED

Options
I dont know whats up, but for the last weeks I am SO TIRED, that I can't drag myself out of bed before 11. I need on average 11 hours of sleep a day, just to be able to get up.

I stopped drinking coffee regularly (have 1 coffee a week, and 2 glasses of green tea a day) / I exercise regularly / I havent partied in about 3 weeks / i recently got about 3 weeks of sun so my vit. D should be ok.... i am just so so sooooo tired.... I have no idea what to do.

help?

Replies

• dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    Be careful with your Vit D. I felt the same way...always tired. I went to the Dr and had to take a huge weekly vitamin for 8 wks to get my Vit d back up. Now I have to take a vitamin everyday to keep it normal.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to make it a mind over matter thing. I don't know your situation, but it sound like you may be a student or work an afternoon or evening shift somewhere. If you had a job where you had to be somewhere at 8, you would wake up because you have to. Start scheduling your exercise for a time that is reasonable for you. Maybe start with 9. Set your alarm, and make yourself get up as if it was your job. Sometimes it just takes awhile to get into a habit of doing things like that. It's not always easy, but you may find you have more energy just doing that. Sometimes the more I sleep, the more tired I am.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    The more sleep you get before midnight the better. I would start trying to go to sleep earlier. I have kids so that is what is tearing into my sleeping patterns, plus a 5 month old who likes to wake up at night-I think she is teething. Just keep working out and eating right and try to get more sleep before midnight!
  • tammydspice
    Options
    Maybe you should get your Vit B's checked. I have to get a vit b12 shot, when I am late getting it, I am very tired all the time!!

Tam
  • mporter44
    Options
    How is your protein intake? Perhaps you need to add a little carbs back into your diet. I know when I cut out carbs my blood sugar drops. But as soon as i eat a complex carb, my energy level goes back up. I recently cut out fats and my period stop so, I had to add those back in. You just have to have a happy medium of all foods.

you can also try taking a daily vitamin. Like a woman's one a day those can make up for the vitamins that your not getting by dieting.

Good luck. Just let your body rest if it tired. its ok to not work out one day. In fact sometimes that jumps starts your body back and your metabolism.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Myself, when this happened - I was dipping into my glycogen reserves too much and my adrenal glands were fatigued. Do you feel like you have to DRAG yourself to exercise as well? Using up your reserves happens when you're working out intensely more than 3 times a week on a low cal diet. Our bodies can't handle this...

On the other hand, it may be eliminating the booze and coffee from your system too. I would say that maybe taking a couple of days off and see how you feel... But it's just an opinion - I am in no way certified for this... Just speaking from experience.

If you feel great with 2 days of complete rest from exercising and then hit the workout and feel drained the day after your workout - normally this is an indication of used up glycogen reserves and your adrenal glands are taking a beating.

Are you feeling sad, irritable and snappy? I felt all of this too when it happened.
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanx for the feedback. Im not a student, Im a freelancer, which means that i CAN get away with waking up at noon everyday. and I have been trying really hard to wake up at even 9... i sleep thru the alarm clock and have no recollection of turning it off.

I will take today off from exercise completely.

My protein and carbs are pretty good, I recently upped my protein intake when I started weight training again
    It might be my adrenals.... ughghghgh I wish i could go to my accupuncturist. He knows whats wrong w you just by looking at your tongue. he told me before I had adrenals exhaustion. but he is in another country.

I guess just try and balance my lifestyle further, and yes I will try and get more sleep before midnight....
  • triannataylor
    Options
    I had this problem too, and it was made worse by the fact that I'm a nurse and I do shiftwork... I got referred by my GP to a sleep study and found out that while I thought maybe I had sleep apnea, I actually have something called hypersomnia... basically just means your body is MESSED up.. they now have me on a stimulant to keep me semi-awake throughout the day... anyway if your blood tests all turn out normal, maybe suggest to your doc to have a sleep study done to ensure you're sleeping "properly".. just a random suggestion : )
  • fitbot
    Options
    unghghg maybe. i mean i am kinda ok for the time i am awake. but i am only awake for like 12 hours a day...
  • noltes2
    noltes2 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I was just going to reccomend accupuncture. It always helps me feel cleansed and rested. Force yourself to wake up at 10am tomorrow, then 9am the next day. You will be exhausted, but it will help you go to bed earlier and get on a regular schedule! Good luck adjusting!
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I don't know how much you workout. But I do know that at some point you exercise to much and your body can't recover fast enough. Commonly called the breakdowns. Although this is usually experienced by elite athletes like Olympians.
  • fitbot
    Options
    haha im pretty sure i am not training as much as an olympian. :)
    my workouts are pretty intense but i only have them every other day.
    i wish i could get to my acupuncturist but he is in another country. :(
    I will just try to keep trucking
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Has your doctor checked your iron lately? Maybe you are anemic?
    When my ferritin (iron stores) was low, I could sleep and never feel rested. And my usual workouts left me so tired-it would take a day or two to recover. I think I became anemic from donating blood so often.
    If it doesn't get better for you, it wouldn't hurt to ask for a ferritin test just to check.
    Hope it gets better soon!
  • thirtyby40
    thirtyby40 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Any way you could be pregnant? I slept like that before I even missed a period with all of my pregnancies. It was very weird. For the 3rd and 4th pregnancy my mother told me to go get tests because every time she called that I wasn't working I was sleeping or half asleep. Just sound familiar since it came on with no warning.
  • fitbot
    Options
    i havent had a physical since may. and i wont get to go to a dr till ... may.
    but i thought it might be iron, so i am amping up my green veggies and red meat intake this week.
    im really hoping this is temporary, but i have honestly never had such huge issues dragging myself out of bed before. and I have never needed 11 hours of sleep just to function.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Try to eat something with Vitamin C when you eat an iron-rich food. It will help your body absorb the iron better. And try to avoid soft drinks and caffeine. They tend to drain iron!
    Hope you get some relief soon. Being tired is no fun!
  • 1FITmamaofTWINS
    Options
    hows your carbs during the day?
  • fitbot
    Options
    hey fitmama, i am of the belief that carbs are your friends, so my carb intake is good and it is all complex carbs.
    I don\'t think the issue is there.
    Yesterday I made the conscious decision to NOT bring my lap top into bed for pre sleep shows and I think this allowed me to have a better sleep.
    I woke up 9 hours later. so it's not bad. Only snoozed for 1 hour

fittocycle, good tip on the iron vit C connection
  • fitbot
    Options
    ok, so no watching shows in bed / switched it up to reading classics.
    if mansfield park cant put you to sleep, nothing can,