Anyone out there with diabetes?

Options
I have been having a problem with my blood sugars going way to low by not eating and eating under way under the calories. I haven't even lost a lb since I started either, I started two weeks ago now. I need help anyone????? I drink water like crazy too which I know lowers blood sugars but I also want to drink enough to keep full. Maybe I am just doing it all wrong. Anyone out there that can give me some advice would be great and anyone out there that is diabetic please let me know what your doing to loose weight. You can add me too I need all the help I can get obviously. :frown:

Replies

• jedday
    jedday Posts: 119
    Options
    yes i have it Type 1
    Remember you can eat under you calories as long as your sugars and carbs are not lacking. Find something comfortable for you and match that. It is not the calories but those two things that affect you more. Have some fruit spread out during the day and you should be able to avoid that
  • MindyF68
    Options
    Thanks I will try that. I have type 2, how long have you had diabetes? Can I add you as a friend?
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed last April with Type 2. I found out when I went to the ER for severe abdominal pain, only to find out that I was already in DKA [Diabetic Ketoacidosis] or diabetic coma, in short. On top of that, I also had acute pancreatitis. So, those with diabetes know, I probably should have died. That's the long story short part of my introduction just so you know the background of how I was able to bring all of that down to being asymptomatic, as of now.

If you're having a problem with your glucose dropping too low, due to not eating enough calories, you definitely need to plan out your meals. If you don't mind me asking, what's your daily calorie goal? Before you started tracking calories, were you able to keep your glucose stable with diet alone? Or is that in coordination with taking meds as well? I just have to ask because those kinds of factors do play a big part when you're limiting food intake. Plus, calorie intake isn't the same as carb intake.

If your glucose is too low to the point of almost being hypoglycemic, drink half a cup [4oz.] of milk, preferably non-fat or skim, or even half a cup of orange juice. It's considered 1 carb exchange and it should bring your blood sugar up by about 30 in 15 min. Remember to bring around small little snacks, like Glucerna or something, in case your feeling hypo[glycemic] throughout the day.

Also, make sure you get some form of exercise throughout your day if you can. That also stabilized my [fasting] glucose levels between a constant 64 - 75 every morning. Plus, it obviously aids in losing weight.

There are plenty of other specific things I could tell you, but as far as I can tell from your initial post, low blood sugar and stalled weight loss are the topics I'll respond to. Don't wanna start an entire autobiographical information seminar. =D
  • ang9125
    Options
    I am also new to this site have diabetes. I was just diagnosed 2 wks ago with type 2, and I started that day with a new way of eating and exercising. I was on weight watchers for 2 1/2 years 8 yrs ago, and I learned that if you eat too little, you will not lose weight. Your body goes into starvation mode, and it hoards fat and burns up muscle. You should try eating light snacks in between meals to keep your blood sugars more even. Also, when you exercise, your blood sugar will lower, too. So try allowing yourself to eat a little more and see if that helps :smile:
  • MindyF68
    Options
    To anubis609 my calorie goal is 1500 and for the moment am not taking any meds the doc wants to see if it will go away with weight loss ( weight loss ha ha ) For exercise I walk on the treadmill. Thanks for the info it is very helpful and I think watching my carbs again will help me better than watching calories. Wow you went through alot back in April but at least you made it through it. Do you take medicine? My worst time for my blood sugars in first thing in the morning they say I have dawn syndrome which is when the liver dumps a bunch of glucose in the early am causing high fasting sugars. Does glucerna taste good?

Thanks for helping
  • MindyF68
    Options
    To ang9125 Thanks I think you are right and am going to try that.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I have Type 1 but I feel your pain with the lows (and treating lows bulks up the daily caloric intake, too :ohwell: )

If you're not taking any meds, the only thing you can do is test your BG often and see if you nail down some patterns and go from there. Like mentioned above, you may need to watch your carbs closely..
  • MindyF68
    Options
    To Fenestraria,

Thanks I think you are right also I need to watch my carbs closer. I check BG's 3 times a day . Maybe will add another time in there.

Thanks again Mindy
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 back in March last year. I choose to take the Metformin now, though I don't have to...I'm just a perfectionist. Instead of testing twice a day, I'm now told to test 2-3 times a week. I found out yesterday, I'm officially off BP pills.

It's a lot of work, but it can be done. I have a lot of conditions I deal with...listed on my profile.

The best advice I can give someone who's trying: Main meals - 45 to 60 g. carbs; Snacks - about 15 g carbs.
    That said, I choose to push the limit to 60 grams on the meal before my workout. I was told to do my workout an hour to an hour and a half after the biggest carb meal. I'm sure there are some going to disagree, maybe even you. It's a lot of trial and error to find what works for YOU. If it doesn't work, you won't stick with it. To be successful, you have to stick with it.
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm a diabetic, type 1. I've had diabetes since I was 12 years old and I'm now 43. I use an insulin pump to manage my diabetes. I know all to well about low blood sugars, etc. I would love to walk on this journey with you and we can encourage one another. I'll send you a friend request.
  • MindyF68
    Options
    Hey Kelika71 did getting on medication for your diabetes help you alot especially in the weight loss area and blood sugar control?
    About the carbs that is what a nutrionist had told me to eat I will take your advice on the eating more before exercise.
    Thanks for the advice.
  • chopsusie
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Type 2 back in March last year. I choose to take the Metformin now, though I don't have to...I'm just a perfectionist. Instead of testing twice a day, I'm now told to test 2-3 times a week. I found out yesterday, I'm officially off BP pills.

It's a lot of work, but it can be done. I have a lot of conditions I deal with...listed on my profile.

The best advice I can give someone who's trying: Main meals - 45 to 60 g. carbs; Snacks - about 15 g carbs.
    That said, I choose to push the limit to 60 grams on the meal before my workout. I was told to do my workout an hour to an hour and a half after the biggest carb meal. I'm sure there are some going to disagree, maybe even you. It's a lot of trial and error to find what works for YOU. If it doesn't work, you won't stick with it. To be successful, you have to stick with it.

I agree - I try to keep it to around 40 carbs a meal. 15 for a snck. 1/2 the plate veggies, 1/4 carbs, 1/4 protien. Lots of water.
  • mzw00dy1964
    mzw00dy1964 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am a type 1 and would love to have a group of us diabetics here on MyFitnessPal to help support each other...good recipies, good exercise ideas and just a good ear when we need a lift. We can all be friends and supprt.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Yep. I'm here would also love to have some extra support in this area. I was diagnosed in the summer of 2007. It was thought to be type 2, but after some testing they discovered that I am no longer producing insulin. I've been insulin dependent since 2008. I've lost about 50 pounds and have become strong and fit - but I still am overweight. I'm not sure how much more I need to lose; 15 or 20 pounds maybe. My doc says the insulin makes it harder to lose weight, so I'm trying to really buckle down!