Treadmill vs Elliptical

Options
Which one burns more? I realize there are many factors, but I want to make the most out of my HIIT. Currently I've been doing the elliptical but was wondering if I should switch to the treadmill. I'm also taking up spinning class, so I'll have variety.

Replies

• jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you do on them. Last week I tried both and I definitely burned more on the elliptical. It was about 10 calories a minute on the elliptical. Not sure about the treadmill- I just know it wasn't as much. ( I don't like the treadmill because it hurts my shins and ankle).
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I think you must purchase a HRM with a chest strap in order to tell precisely what you are burning.
  • Sherri71
    Sherri71 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I would think if you were walking on the treadmill, the elliptical would definitely burn more. But if you are running on the treadmill for a long period of time, that may burn more. Plug both into the exercise diary and see which burns more!
  • alphaxilove08
    Options
    Such a good question! I have often thought of this myself. I will burn more calories on an elliptical, but I will sweat more and my legs will feel like jello when I finish on a treadmill. I always burn more calories on an elliptical, but I'm not sure if it's the best.
  • dander22
    Options
    If you want to do a great treadmill workout look up some 30 minute interval programs. Oxygen magazine had one last spring and it burns 500 calories in 30 minutes. You can't expect to finish it the first time - you need to build up. Also, your body gets used to exercises when you do them all the time. You need to mix it up anyway. Maybe alternate days with treadmill and elliptical. Muscle confusion - great for weightloss! Good luck!
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    it definitely depends how hard you're able to workout on either. usually the elliptical is easier on your joints, your heart, and your overall body and so you're able to be on it longer just at a lower HR than if you were all out running on the treadmill. if you're able to run, you're prob going to burn more calories esp if you can sustain it.

i know on the elliptical my HR hovers around 130-140 whereas when i run my HR is about 165
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    A treadmill, with all things being equal, will burn more since you have to carry more of your weight as opposed to an elliptical. The benefit of an elliptical is less stress on your knees and at least for me, it is easier to keep my HR where I want to be. you can still do HIIT just as well on an elliptical though, you just need to increase the resistance.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    For me, I burn the same cals per minute on them IF I run at a steady pace of 6+ mph. Any slower and I burn more on the elliptical. However, I work hard on the elliptical - I set my resistance low so I can feel it and have to work harder, but can maintain a high speed - 85-93 RPM for an hour.

I think it depends on how hard you push yourself - which machine do you push yourself to work harder. Another thing that makes a big difference to me is that I can maintain a high intensity for an hour on the elliptical. I can't run at 6+ mph for an hour, so I definetly burn more overall on the ellptical.

But the only reason I know this is because I check my bodybugg to see how many calories I'm burning. I'd suggest a HRM or some other type of tool so you really know which is working best for you.
  • scratchless
    scratchless Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Which one burns more? I realize there are many factors, but I want to make the most out of my HIIT. Currently I've been doing the elliptical but was wondering if I should switch to the treadmill. I'm also taking up spinning class, so I'll have variety.

Hey Andy, well I go with Cross trainer any day. I have my reasons,

Mainly cause my ankles are shot so the fact a tradmill is high impact doesn't do me any good, I also tend to only do interval training as it burns more calories and you still burning som 5-7 hours after your work out and thats really easy and comfortable on a cross trainer.

Cross trainers also work more muscles than a treadmill as your using your arms as well, Means your arm, neck and shoulder muscles also get a good work out as where with a treadmill your just through them about a bit.

So the problems with Cross trainers, I have used so many in the past and some you just cant get the hang of, they dont feel natural, My gym however has some really good ones and they feel like I am naturally running without the pain.

I am looking to buy a CT for home and I have just tried around 20 CT and only found 2 that felt natural.

So cutting a long story short,

I think CT are the best workout for cardio, however if my gym had crappy ones that did not feel natural then Ild prob just sit on the bike or spinner for 2 hours.

Its your prefference..............

Have fun,

Rob xxx
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Also, your body gets used to exercises when you do them all the time. You need to mix it up anyway. Maybe alternate days with treadmill and elliptical. Muscle confusion - great for weightloss! Good luck!

I agree with this completely! I've found that I have to keep going faster and faster or really increase my resistance on the elliptical to keep my intensity at the same level cuz I've been doing it for so long - my body is just good a this thing now. So every once in a while, I switch and do only 30 mins on the elliptical and then move to the treadmill to run the rest of my time. Plus, they really do work different muscles. The elliptical works my quads and glutes and arms more. The treadmil works my hips and calves more. I also do step aerobics (with a step and a bozu) classes a few times a week to make sure I have a nice range of things my body can do.
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    i prefer ct for same reasons as above ... not such hard impact .. i find treadmill painful on both knees, and boobs .. ouch !