Need help please

Options
Hello! I'm hoping I can get some advice on here about weight loss. Several months ago, I started using this site & lost 24lbs. I then had some stressful events occur in my life & I stop using the site and gained half the weight back. So, I am trying to get back on track. I got the Michael Thurmond 6 body makeover.....have been doing it for about a month now.....well I did well at first and lost 10lbs in 21 days. Now i gained a lb lost a lb & keep going back and forth. that's when i decided to use this site again......well, once i did, i realized i was NOT eating enough calories!! I'm eating 5-6 times a day & pretty much eating the same thing cuz it's just easier for my busy schedule. I've notice that i'm never really hungry & that i don't need much to fill me - so i'm happy about that but now that i've started to do some cardio - i can't seem to eat all my calories. This is what a typical day of eating is for me:

breakfast: 2 ounces chicken breast or 1/3cup of egg whites & 1/2 cup of berries or pineapple
morn snack: 2 ounces of chicken breast & 1/2 cup of berries or pineapple
lunch: 2 ounces of chicken breast, 1/2 cup of brown or white rice, & about 1 cup of broccoli or 1/2cup zuccini squash
aftern snack: 2 ounces of chicken
dinner: 2 ounces of chicken breast, 1/2 cup of brown or white rice, & about 1 cup of broccoli or 1/2cup zuccini squash
even snack: maybe a lil chick breast or 1 ounce of sun chips or a bowl of corn chex cereal w/just a lil bit of milk- haven't been consisistent

now that i'm doing some cardio (which i wasn't exercising at all when i lost the 10lbs) MFP says to eat like 400 more calories & i'm not hungry nor do i know what i should eat.

so, any suggestions would be great!! =)

Replies

• MsImperfect0
    MsImperfect0 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    im not much help as im new to all this. Maybe after you workout eat a handful of some sort of nuts as they are a good calorie booster!.

also i must say, you must be getting tired of chicken! i dont think i could eat it every meal lol
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    hard to says , not sure you are eating enough, maybe this will help!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

"Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode) "

Good luck on your journey!
  • sylvia0725
    Options
    I really like myfitnesspal.com for keeping track what i put in my body. i do not like that if i excersise it wants me to eat more so i just ignore what it says when it adds more because all you are doing is adding the calories that you just burned back into your body.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    I really like myfitnesspal.com for keeping track what i put in my body. i do not like that if i excersise it wants me to eat more so i just ignore what it says when it adds more because all you are doing is adding the calories that you just burned back into your body.

Read the above , please
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I know thurmond emphasizes some changes you have to make when you work out. I think you have to have an extra carb and more protein???/ I cannot remember exactly as it has been years since I did it.

Also, are you positive that your 45 mins of cardio is burning 400 calories? Do you have a HRM to analyze this? I feel that the MFP site gives very over-inflated burns, at least in my opinion, because my HRM says something totally different.

I know many people would disagree with me, and Thurmond does not tell you either to eat your exercise calories, but I never do; however, I never burn more than 300-400 calories a day, Now, If I have increased hunger due to weight lifting, I will have some extra protein. Seems to work for me is all I can say.
  • SillySarah
    Options
    Hello! I'm hoping I can get some advice on here about weight loss. Several months ago, I started using this site & lost 24lbs. I then had some stressful events occur in my life & I stop using the site and gained half the weight back. So, I am trying to get back on track. I got the Michael Thurmond 6 body makeover.....have been doing it for about a month now.....well I did well at first and lost 10lbs in 21 days. Now i gained a lb lost a lb & keep going back and forth. that's when i decided to use this site again......well, once i did, i realized i was NOT eating enough calories!! I'm eating 5-6 times a day & pretty much eating the same thing cuz it's just easier for my busy schedule. I've notice that i'm never really hungry & that i don't need much to fill me - so i'm happy about that but now that i've started to do some cardio - i can't seem to eat all my calories. This is what a typical day of eating is for me:

breakfast: 2 ounces chicken breast or 1/3cup of egg whites & 1/2 cup of berries or pineapple
    morn snack: 2 ounces of chicken breast & 1/2 cup of berries or pineapple
    lunch: 2 ounces of chicken breast, 1/2 cup of brown or white rice, & about 1 cup of broccoli or 1/2cup zuccini squash
    aftern snack: 2 ounces of chicken
    dinner: 2 ounces of chicken breast, 1/2 cup of brown or white rice, & about 1 cup of broccoli or 1/2cup zuccini squash
    even snack: maybe a lil chick breast or 1 ounce of sun chips or a bowl of corn chex cereal w/just a lil bit of milk- haven't been consisistent

now that i'm doing some cardio (which i wasn't exercising at all when i lost the 10lbs) MFP says to eat like 400 more calories & i'm not hungry nor do i know what i should eat.

so, any suggestions would be great!! =)

What kind of cardio are you doing? How intense is it? Are your energy levels consistent throughout the day?

If you're doing light intensity cardio and you're making sure that you eat enough nutrients per your frame, I don't see why you should eat the extra calories. If you're doing intense and/or super long duration exercise, you probably should eat a little something after you workout. This is so your body is able to repair itself and recover for your next exercise bout. Also, be sure to drink lots of water.

Something as simple as a glass of milk and some fruit is sufficient to help your body get some protein and carbs in it. A lot of this depends on how you're feeling after you are done exercising. If you find that you are not excessively sore or tired afterwards, you may not need those extra calories. IMO, it's better to listen to your body and become accustomed to the signals it sends you. If you're hungry, eat something.

I'm not usually hungry after I workout intensely, so I have to force myself to eat something, otherwise, I crash hard a few hours later and I am really sore the next day. Everyone i different though.
  • fitmamaoftwins
    Options
    by the look of your diet you dont really need to eat back those exercise calories so dont worry =)