lentil recipes wanted!

calliope_music
calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
edited September 23 in Recipes
hi everyone! i absolutely love lentils, but have no idea how to cook them or what to use them in. can you share your fave recipes?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    This is one of my favorite recipes, period. My family is a bunch of total carnivores, and we all go crazy for Meatless Mondays when I make this.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Lentil-Loaf/Detail.aspx
  • Octomonkey
    Octomonkey Posts: 72 Member
    I have made really yummy lentil soup! I cooked the lentils in vegetable stock for about 30 mins, added carrots, celery, onion, garlic, thyme, basil and oregano. It's really filling and lasts for ages :)

http://www.happycow.net/recipes.php?id=169
  • Scidoc
    Scidoc Posts: 106 Member
    There is a persian soup that calls for lentils that is absolutely yummy: http://www.foodfit.com/recipes/recipe.asp?rid=789

I also just throw lentils into a crockpot with some lean lamb stew meat, 2 sprigs of rosemary, 3 gloves of garlic, cover with chicken stock and let it cook for 12 hours. I like to take the meat out after 8 hours and shred it up and put it back in the pot...
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Here's one of my fave recipes containing lentils. And, it freezes well :)

Red Lentil Curry
    8 servings

Ingredients
    2 cups red lentils
    1 large onion, diced
    1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons curry paste
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon white sugar
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon ginger root, minced
    1 (14.25 ounce) can tomato puree

Directions
    1. Wash the lentils in cold water until the water runs clear (this is very important or the lentils will get "scummy"), put the lentils in a pot with water to cover and simmer covered until lentils tender (add more water if necessary). It usually takes about 15 - 20 for the lentils to cook.
    2. While the lentils are cooking: In a large skillet or saucepan, caramelize the onions in vegetable oil.
    3. While the onions are cooking, combine the curry paste, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, salt, sugar, garlic, and ginger in a mixing bowl. Mix well. When the onions are cooked, add the curry mixture to the onions and cook over a high heat stirring constantly for 1 to 2 minutes.
    4. Stir in the tomato puree and reduce heat, allow the curry base to simmer until the lentils are ready.
    5. When the lentils are tender drain them briefly (they should have absorbed most of the water but you don't want the curry to be too sloppy). Mix the curry base into the lentils and serve immediately.

Nutrition Per Serving
    Cals - 177
    Carbs - 28
    Fat - 3
    Protein - 10
    Fiber - 8
    Sugar - 4
  • Here is a great one - very easy! Heats up great the next day and freezes well too.

Lentils with Onion and Carrot

1 tbsp olive oil
    1 yellow onion - chopped
    1 carrot - chopped
    3 cups water (sometimes I use chicken or vegetable broth if I have some)
    1 cup lentils - rinsed
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon dried thyme (I was out of thyme once and used rosemary - just as tasty)
    salt/pepper

Heat olive oil over medium heat
    Add onion, cook until soft, stirring often - about 5 min
    Add carrot, water, lentils, bay leaf, thyme, salt/pepper - bring to a boil
    Simmer until lentils are tender - about 25-30 minutes
    Remove bay leaf, add more salt/pepper if desired and serve

Serves 4 - 200 calories per serving

Sometimes I'll add a can of diced tomatoes - adds nice color and gives it a "chilli" feel.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    bump!
This discussion has been closed.