Getting pregnant after losing weight

Options
mszSHOGAN
mszSHOGAN Posts: 2,278 Member
After having 3 kids (and becoming a few pounds shy of a beached whale with each) I lost about 50 pounds and am finally in a much healthier weight range. My husband and I are toying with the idea of having another baby and before I act on it I've been considering many things, one thing is my weight loss. I fear that being pregnant will give me an excuse to fall back in to old habits and leave me right back where I was - fat and miserable.

Has anyone shed weight and then went on to have a healthy pregnancy? I just remember how I was when I was pregnant (concerning food) and even though I know have better eating habits that I practice, I'm scared I'll go back to sitting on the couch with a can of Duncan Hines icing.... :sick:

Any thoughts, advices, feedback is welcomed!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    bump
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    hi there,i also have put on a couple of tons after my 3 boys!!! (last 13 yrs ago)!
    i have only just got round to loosing for the 1st time in my life....there is no reason why you should put on tons of weight while in the club if you think of trying to give baby the best start in life EVER eat those veg and fruit and eat healthy and the rest should come easy!!!
    even go for a few walks and swims to add a bit extra in there...it will pay off for you and baby!
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    I don't know from experience, but maybe you could try to eat on a "baby diet" if you do get pregnant again? By that I just mean focusing a lot on the nutritional value of your food and trying to eat as healthy as possible for your baby without worrying about weight gain (obviously!). You wouldn't feed your baby chocolate icing or fast food, so why should you eat like that just because you are pregnant! Like I said, I have no personal experience with any of this and I'm sure it's much easier said than done, but it's something to keep in mind at least! Good luck!
  • adrienne4791
    Options
    :happy: Having 3 kids, I can related. I was able to get the weight off after the 1st two and the 3rd...well I'm still wokring off the weight for 9 years now LOL. But it was a high risk pregnancy due to her blood type and such. She weighed 11lbs 8ozs and that was some damage to my body. As long as you have to will power to keep going and making sure the weight comes off, then you should be good! You've come so far, and you can keep going! And have a healthy pregnancy as well! Best of luck to you!
  • hdchic78
    hdchic78 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had 4 kids in 5 years and lost about 40 pounds between kids # 2 & 3.....then went on to have the others, and lost the little bit I gained after #4.....as long as you can keep your brain focused on the fact that you are *NOT* "eating for two" and that you are eating for a healthier YOU (which in turns makes for a healthier baby) you'll be fine!!!! Plus, do LOTS of walking and eating right and your labor/delivery will probably be easier -- I walked about 2 miles a day, nearly every day during #3 & #4, and I was at the hospital for 12 minutes before #3 was born and for 46 minutes before #4 was born -- was it due to the walking and healthy eating??? who knows, but I am quite convinced that had a LOT to do with it :-)
  • millesun
    millesun Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Between my 1st baby and my 2nd I lost 50lbs and put 65 on with my 2nd. Then lost about 20 (not enough) and got pregnent with my 3rd baby right away. I was so worried about my weight that I talked to my OBGYN who told me I could safely lose a few lbs while pg. So I kept up my exercise and planned my all my meals! Since I had been eating healthy my taste had changed and I craved things like fresh pineapple and apples...cakes tasted really bad to me. I was so happy the day I had him I weighed the same as the day I found out I was pg! I guess my point is with discipline it can be done. And you all of us on this site to help you.:flowerforyou:
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. We also have three kids, and have been thinking about having another, and I so badly want another baby, but in the back of my head, I don't want to undo all the hard work I've done. I think its safe to say, its like starting this journey of weight loss, you had to want it bad enough to do it, and the same will be while you are pregnant! YOU have to want to eat right. I'd talk to your doctor and they can tell you how many more calories you need to add for each trimester or month and go with that. Stick to your healthy choices, and let yourself have treats, just limit those treats! Have one cookie instead of the whole batch. It's always going to be you choice on what you eat, that's why its a lifestyle change, not just a diet! Best of luck to you!!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I have had roller-coaster weight b/c of pregnancies. I lost 30, had my first which got me about a 40 lb gain. Lost all but 10 lbs and had boy #2, leaving me again with about 45 lbs to lose, which I never really did. 5 yrs later I had my daughter and being about 25 lbs over my pre-baby weight from the first one I REALLY watched my dirt and I walked as often as I could. I still gained 25 lbs w/ her and still had it hanging on at her 2nd birthday... harder to lose in my 30s for sure! But, I am happy to say, she'll be 3 in April and ALL of my baby weight from all 3 pregnancies is now gone!!! Just a little further and I'll weigh what I did in high school. It's hard but you can definitely have a healthy pregnancy after losing your weight!! Good luck with whatever you decide! Those sweet little babies are so worth the work it takes to lose the weight afterward!! :)
  • mszSHOGAN
    Options
    Yes, discipline is key. That's something I didn't have with all my pregnancies, but I have obtained a different mindset since then - SO I NEED TO KEEP THAT IN MIND! It just took me a LONG time to get to where I'm at I don't want to mess it up, you know? Maybe I just need more faith in myself and what I can accomplish!

Thanks for sharing everyone, you've helped to put a face on someone who can do it!
  • mcphtm
    mcphtm Posts: 26
    Options
    Self control and staying active. You can have a healthy pregnancy and still eat good and exercise. There are certain exercises you won't be able to do and aren't allowed to do, such as sit-ups, but you will still be able to walk/jog. Of course you want to keep your baby healthy so ask your doctor what is best, also research healthy foods and exercises while pregnant. A friend of mine gained 63 lbs with her first pregnancy, but only about 30 with her second. Mainly because of diet and exercise she continued to do while she was pregnant the second time around. She even said giving natural birth the second time around was a lot easier, which she believes was from exercise. It was humorous knowing that she was 9 months along running on the treadmill, but it was a lot easier for her to shed the weight after birth as well. I've never had a child myself, just sharing what advice I can :)
  • lookinggreat
    Options
    When I was pregnant (11 and 13 years ago!) I had gestational diabetes both times. The first time, the dr asked me to see a dietician and I had to follow a diet that strictly measured my carbs and also, to a certain extent, my calories. I didn't gained much extra weight during my pregnancies (don't remember how much exactly). But the best part is that being on that rather strict diet with limited carbs and lots of fresh vegetables is that I felt really great and full of energy all the time. If you are not sure about the amont of calories you should have while pregnant, ask your doctor or a dietician. Pregnancy is definitely a time to eat healthy!
    Good luck!
  • mszSHOGAN
    Options
    When I was pregnant (11 and 13 years ago!) I had gestational diabetes both times. The first time, the dr asked me to see a dietician and I had to follow a diet that strictly measured my carbs and also, to a certain extent, my calories. I didn't gained much extra weight during my pregnancies (don't remember how much exactly). But the best part is that being on that rather strict diet with limited carbs and lots of fresh vegetables is that I felt really great and full of energy all the time. If you are not sure about the amont of calories you should have while pregnant, ask your doctor or a dietician. Pregnancy is definitely a time to eat healthy!
    Good luck!

I had GD with my 2nd child, but not my 1st or 3rd, go figure! I also worked with a dietician. I guess working towards not developing it with another child would help me eat healthier!
  • lookinggreat
    Options
    Good luck!

I had GD with my 2nd child, but not my 1st or 3rd, go figure! I also worked with a dietician. I guess working towards not developing it with another child would help me eat healthier!

Definitely!
    For the second pregnancy, when my blood sugar numbers started to be a little high, I asked the Dr if I could start the diet right away. He said ttechnically there was no need to at that point since my blood sugar was not over the limit, but that he was encouraging me to do so because that was the healthiest diet for a pregnant woman. So I did start the diet, measured my blood sugar etc. and I did not have to take insulin like I did the first time. If I had had another pregnancy, I think I would do the same again.