HRM Sugestions

Jitteryspork
Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
I am finally on the track HARD CORE and I am doing so "misc" exercises such as Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred and the "Torso Tiger" etc.. and I am not sure how many calories I am burning. To help me maintain my calorie goal I have decided I NEED an HRM.

Problem is.. I don't know anything about HRM's and I need your help deciding which one is worth the investment. I don't need it to do anything fancy, just tell me the calories burned. (if they do that even)

SUGGESTIONS?

Replies

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,412 Member
    just bought my brother a basic wrist one from walmart on-line (cardio recovery from recent heart attack) he really likes it. Less than 50 bucks. Don't really know much about them. Always measured mine the old fashioned way (finger to neck).
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Mine is a Polar FT 7 and I got it half price (new) on e-bay. It was under $100. I went up to that level of HRM's because I wanted one that I felt was accurate if I spent money on it at all, and I wanted a chest strap (I heard they were more accurate), plus the battery on some models were not replacable. This one I could replace the battery and not have to buy more "stuff" in a year or so. So I feel like a cheap innacurate one or one that only lasted a while and then gets tossed out saved me money in the end.
  • chefdan
    chefdan Posts: 53 Member
    Polar makes a pretty big line of well-reviewed HRMs from simple to tracking walking/running distances and elevation change using GPS. Here's their website:

http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    I know a lot of people on here use Polars, but I recently saw Consumer Reports rated the Timex Personal Trainer T5G971 the best. It's anywhere from $40-60 depending on where you buy it (check amazon or ebay for cheaper prices, but may be used). I've asked for one for my birthday and can't WAIT to start using it.

Whatever you decide, I strongly encourage you to get one with a chest strap. It picks up your heart rate much more accurately.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    I like polar they make good stuff I'm actually waiting on a new transmitter I bought online the otherday its the polar fitlink plus Bluetooth it will connect to my phone and integrate with my cardio trainer app.
  • jenminuchi
    jenminuchi Posts: 6 Member
    I have the Polar Ft7 as well and love it.
This discussion has been closed.