Calling out all mommys!

Options

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I have a 15 year old son and a 3 year old daughter.I had my son when I was 18 and it seemed like all the weight just melted away .Then I had my daughter at 30 needless to say the weight hasnt melted away this time lol
  • ajwall3
    ajwall3 Posts: 187
    Options
    Hey! I have 2 little Boys and can safely say my body DEFINATELY changed after I'd done reproducing! Everything's a couple of inches further South and a couple of inches wider too! I also find toning up what I've been left with is a constant battle! I wouldn't change being a Mummy for the world - but if I could have done it without gaining pounds and inches, I would have!

One thing in your post worries me a little. You say you don't think your stomach muscles haven't gone back to normal? If, when you do a sit up you are still getting the "doming" effect (look down at your tummy when you do a crunch, is your stomach still coming up to a pyramid down the length of your abdominals?) This is not normal, and if this is the case, you should get checked out by a Dr before recommencing any form of abdominal exercise. Please don't think I'm scare mongering - I had the same problem after having my second child and it took around 4 months for my tummy muscles to return to normal (in the UK with have a check-up 6 weeks after giving birth and our abs are checked out then.) I was told that if I did try to train my stomach, I would cause deep tissue damage!

I always thought that running around after 2 kids would be enough exercise..........how wrong I was! :ohwell:

Thanks for all you posted!! I'm not sure if that's what's really wrong w/my abs... or if when I crunch I just see the excess belly fat taking unusual form LOL Most of my flab is around my middle so it could just be that... I haven't had any issues with stomach strength or anything... I've been to the Doctor since then and they haven't noticed anything abnormal... Could just be the extra flab!! :(
  • ajwall3
    Options
    Hey! I have 2 little Boys and can safely say my body DEFINATELY changed after I'd done reproducing! Everything's a couple of inches further South and a couple of inches wider too! I also find toning up what I've been left with is a constant battle! I wouldn't change being a Mummy for the world - but if I could have done it without gaining pounds and inches, I would have!

One thing in your post worries me a little. You say you don't think your stomach muscles haven't gone back to normal? If, when you do a sit up you are still getting the "doming" effect (look down at your tummy when you do a crunch, is your stomach still coming up to a pyramid down the length of your abdominals?) This is not normal, and if this is the case, you should get checked out by a Dr before recommencing any form of abdominal exercise. Please don't think I'm scare mongering - I had the same problem after having my second child and it took around 4 months for my tummy muscles to return to normal (in the UK with have a check-up 6 weeks after giving birth and our abs are checked out then.) I was told that if I did try to train my stomach, I would cause deep tissue damage!

I always thought that running around after 2 kids would be enough exercise..........how wrong I was! :ohwell:

Thanks for all you posted!! I'm not sure if that's what's really wrong w/my abs... or if when I crunch I just see the excess belly fat taking unusual form LOL Most of my flab is around my middle so it could just be that... I haven't had any issues with stomach strength or anything... I've been to the Doctor since then and they haven't noticed anything abnormal... Could just be the extra flab!! :(

Oh and it doesn't look like a pyramid....just looks like a rift kinda along my bellybutton line with two little fat bumps on either side... maybe I'm mistaken about what it was??
  • ajwall3
    Options
    Pilates helps because it focuses on the core...not abs. I used that in the beginning but have moved on to more body weight stuff ie. Plank. Love to hate it. It can also be done on the ball. I use the ball a lot, just check online for ball exercises there are a tonne.
    Oddly enough squats work wonders. You need to stabilize the entire core area to keep yourself balanced. I found this out when I would wind up doing various types of squats with my trainer and I had to finally ask him, "why?".
    I don't do crunches, never have and I have got a six pack coming along. It's still hidden in a soft cooler though.
    Trying to lose the last 5-10 pounds is agonizingly slow.

Thanks for sharing!! I've been doing Slim in 6 from Beach Body and she focuses a LOT on the core... squats, lunges, yoga (way harder than I thought it would be!) push-ups and crunches... I can tell my love-handles are completely gone - just the front of my tummy isn't shrinking like I'd want it to! Plank is the side exercise right? Balancing while lifting yourself up sideways?? That controlled balance is tough! A lot like yoga? I used to have a 6 pack... (silently crying) I'm scared I'll never get it back!!!
  • BigBootyMimi
    BigBootyMimi Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Great idea ajwall3! Being a mom is like a double whammy - not only have our bodies/metabolism changed, but I am sure most of us are super busy with home/work/etc...and it is hard to find time to exercise! We have to make time!!!
  • slummymummy
    slummymummy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Haha! I know the "unusual form" issue! My tummy's kinda like playdough - definately moldable!

It has to be possible to bounce back into shape within a week of giving birth, after all numerous celebs manage it (Oh, that's right, they all have personal trainers, nutritionists and full-time nannies!)
  • APeters23
    APeters23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I would love to join you! I'm a mother of two girls, one who just turned 1 and the other 2.5! I'm needing support and motivation. I would like to lose 15 lbs. I am trying to do this by making small changes. I know I won't be perfect everyday on my eating but I will be more aware of what I'm putting in my body by logging my calories.
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I'm a mommy to 4 babies! Well not all babies but they are my babies! Feel free to add me too!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    HI,
    Im a mommy of four. My oldest is 8. my youngest is two. I joined mfp in August and i finally got back to my prepregnancy weight in Octover!!! (gainded 45+ with the first one). I actually weigh less than before i got pregnant but i still have this belly fat!!!!!!! It drives me crazy! the rest of me is fine. I have decent muscle tone. You can actually see part of my six pack at the top of my abs but i have a circle of wrinkly skin and fat right around my belly button. sigh.....i'm hoping that watching my diet better and losing maybe five more pounds might do the trick. ( if you check out my diary, note i gave myself i free day yesterday and i used it :)

oh and i nursed all my babies that may have helped me lose a few pounds in the beginning but it took hard work to get the rest off.
  • sybil1106
    Options
    I'm mom of two very active girls. One is in year round soccer clubs and the other in competitive gymnastics. I'm trying to instill things in them that were not instilled in me. But I don't look the part so I'm trying to make a change. I'm only 13% of the way there so I need the motivation. So I would like to join as well.
    Sybil
  • jenh1101
    Options
    My youngest two kids are 11 months apart and after I had my son, the weight didn't come off like it had in the past. Two years later, I'm just now back to what I weighed when I got pregnant!
  • RochelleBlack
    Options
    My little ones are 4 years and 9 mos. I suffered from TERRIBLE PPD after my son was born. It was the most awful, terrifying experience of my life. Just thinking about it now brings tears to my eyes. If it wasn't for the listening ears of some wonderful non-judgmental friends and my workouts, I'm not sure I would have made it through.
    Moms have to band together. We are strong, powerful women who are at the center of the family unit. Our children, husbands, significant others DEPEND on us to set the example. In order to stay strong, we need a strong community of support ourselves.
    I am happy to be part of that for anhyone who wants it :)

Rochelle
  • Maghenta
    Maghenta Posts: 100
    Options
    :blushing: Well my babies are 12 and 5...... :blushing: I know am just starting to take charge of my BODY... lol but the thing is that I thought I looked good so I jst kept the little 5 lbs I had gained after having my 1st baby.... I kept that until I had my 2nd daughter about 7 yrs later from my 1st pregnancy and that when I blew Up.... :embarassed: and for some strange reason I could not ever get motivated to do anything until now. I guess seeing my oldest daughter getting puffier and puffier has gotten me worried to the point that I think change needs to start with ME! so here I am Loving this site.... :love: I mean I have already seen changes in as little as 6 weeks..... :smile:
    Good luck to you all... .. Add me!
  • snc1212
    snc1212 Posts: 38
    Options
    Absolutely! I have two girls, one is 2.5 years and the other is 5 years. Add me.
  • ajwall3
    Options
    HI,
    Im a mommy of four. My oldest is 8. my youngest is two. I joined mfp in August and i finally got back to my prepregnancy weight in Octover!!! (gainded 45+ with the first one). I actually weigh less than before i got pregnant but i still have this belly fat!!!!!!! It drives me crazy! the rest of me is fine. I have decent muscle tone. You can actually see part of my six pack at the top of my abs but i have a circle of wrinkly skin and fat right around my belly button. sigh.....i'm hoping that watching my diet better and losing maybe five more pounds might do the trick. ( if you check out my diary, note i gave myself i free day yesterday and i used it :)

oh and i nursed all my babies that may have helped me lose a few pounds in the beginning but it took hard work to get the rest off.

Regarding the belly fat : ME TOO! The top of my abdomen is my smallest circumference and the widest part of my tummy is right around my belly button... I'm so desperate to get rid of this! I only have one daughter and I'm scared to death of getting pregnant again... went from 110 to 170 all during preg. and all on bedrest. Bleh!! I only have 8 more lbs to go but darn if it's not the hardest to get rid of!
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I am mommy to a 6 year old (7 in a few days) and 4 year old. I worked out diligently while pregnant and while I didn't gain a huge amount of weight (30lbs with #1 and 25lbs with #2) it still took at least 9 months to get back down to my pre- preg weight. It did all go back but it took time and working out to get there. Some women lose weight with breast feeding, I held on to the extra weight until after I weaned them. It's been a few years now and I look worse right now than when my baby turned a year... mostly due to getting older and not watching my diet. I am determined to rock a 2-piece bathing suit instead of my usual mom suit this summer. My abs aren't the problem as I have a longer torso and carried well with no stretch marks... it's my bum and thighs that are my biggest issue...
  • stephanielynn76
    Options
    Oh yeah, feel free to add me if you would like a mommy friend. I don't have many and could use some :)
  • ajwall3
    Options
    I would love to join you! I'm a mother of two girls, one who just turned 1 and the other 2.5! I'm needing support and motivation. I would like to lose 15 lbs. I am trying to do this by making small changes. I know I won't be perfect everyday on my eating but I will be more aware of what I'm putting in my body by logging my calories.

You can do it!! We all can help each other!! Great job starting with two little ones!! MFP has helped me so much in realizing what I'm putting in my body!!! One thing I can say to add to the motivation - I use Beach Body products and let me tell you! Seeing before and after pictures is MAJOR motivating!! Check out www.beachbody.com and take a look at some pics - that is what motivates me!!
  • bonvechiomommy
    bonvechiomommy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My body is way differen too. Lots of sag in the tummy area :-) I'm looking to lose the last 20lbs that I have been lazy about. I guess I do not expect to be what I was before my girls, I just want to feel better about my body.
  • stephanielynn76
    Options
    Btw... anyone else's boobs look like some fried eggs on deflated balloons? Yeah... That never goes back... unfortunately...