Water

Options
AndyBee
AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
I've been drinking LOTS more water than I used to. Normally I would drink about 3 cups of coffee a day, and maybe a glass or two of water. Now I'm drinking 1 cup of coffee, and 6-10 cups a water a day.

Well, I'm on my 7th glass today (at only 11:50am) and I'm so thirsty! I can't stand it. I keep drinking and drinking but it doesn't quench my thirst. I've been going to the bathroom like crazy. It's not that I'm drinking it too quickly, maybe a glass every hour or so. I don't know what else to do. Why am I so freakishly thirsty?

Replies

• sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    i think (just my opinion) thats too much water and you are peeing electrolytes, sodium etc. out with ther water. There is such a thing as too much water.:smile:
  • pawprint061
    Options
    I don't know the answer, but I have experienced this also. I've drank and drank and for some reason was still thirsty.... I am curious too.
  • zbstngrl
    zbstngrl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Not saying that you are but maybe you are eating high sodium food? That will make you very thirsty.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You are probably thirsty due to your extreme intake of sodium over the past few days (over 4,000 on Fri and Sat, and over 3,500 on Sun)
  • TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    How long has this been going on? I would say go see your doctor since excessive thirst could be a sign of diabetes, go have your blood sugar checked as soon as you can.
  • meglane
    meglane Posts: 39
    Options
    Water is a funny thing in our bodies and it is all about equilibrium. If you are ingesting too much salt then you will be really thirsty all the time. If you are working out then you will be thirsty. Urinating is a good thing, if you weren't after all that water I would be concerned. Medications can cause this also.

Also, what do you consider a cup?
    If you consider 1 cup as 8 oz then you should be consuming about 16 cups which is about 3.8 liters.

They say that you should consume about 1 gallon per day of water to replace all fluids lost throughout the day. So I think you are fine and your body is adjusting.

and yes you can consume too much water. But if you are thirsty drink! your body is telling you its thirsty!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    You are probably thirsty due to your extreme intake of sodium over the past few days (over 4,000 on Fri and Sat, and over 3,500 on Sun)

I just took a look at your food diary for the past few days
    I'd say you are probably very thirsty because your intake of sodium in these days.....just a guess though
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Eric and Smile after taking a peek at your diary. Several days of high sodium will leave you very thirsty. Heck, one day of high sodium leaves me thirsty! Try to keep your sodium intake in check and continue to drink 8 - 10 8oz glasses of water per day. That is the amount of water you need. Although you might try adding a few extra glasses of water today since your body seems to be pushing you for it. Hope you feel much less thirsty tomorrow!
  • vero_1
    vero_1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    For those times when I am so thirsty I could drink the bathtub what I usually do is mix a little bit of fruit juice with water and a little pinch of salt and it usually takes care of the issue (don't have a very high sodium diet), or here is a recipe for home made gatorade like drink:

1 package unsweetened Kool-Aid or similar powdered drink mix
    2 quarts cold water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup orange juice (optional) - But the orange juice contains potassium, which is an electrolyte, so for better fluid replacement, it's not optional

If this is something that has been happening for a while I would definitely say consult your doctor, You might also want to take a good look at your diet and see if you are consuming too much sodium.

*Common causes of excessive thirst
    The most common cause of sudden, extreme thirst (called polydipsia) is too much water or salt loss. This may be from sweating, diarrhea, vomiting or lack of fluids. A short-term increase in thirst is also common after eating salty, spicy or smoked foods.
    You can see some of the reason for constant thirst in the following link:
    http://www.care2.com/greenliving/why-am-i-always-thirsty.html#
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Extreme thirst is seen in diabetes, both diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus. You need to get your blood sugar and adrenal gland function done along with kidney function test.
    Hope this helps.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    i experience the same thing. i'm curious to see the replies.
  • AndyBee
    AndyBee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic. That I know for sure. The sodium is most likely the culprit. I hadn't really thought of that.