You're right but you're wrong.

Options
I really feel the need to post this because I'm sure that many of you have experienced the same I'm about to describe.

"You're doing it wrong. You're not eating enough. Why do you count calories? You're off with your numbers. Who told you so? What are you wasting your time with this?". This and so many other questions and statements are a constant in my life because of the choices I've done to help me achieve my fitness goals.

Let me start by saying that I'm NOT personal trainer nor a nutritionist, therefore my knowledge about how I workout and what do I eat is based on my own research and study from fitness programs, internet, forums, books, etc. With that out of the way I also want say that I'm never going to say I'm 100% right about how I'm doing things, maybe I'm under-eating, maybe I'm over-eating, "maybe" is a key word in my equation, but let me tell you this, so far I'm smart enough to take a lot of things into consideration so I avoid losing muscle mass and drop my body fat %.

Based on my history, I completed P90X about two years ago, I lost 30lbs, I went from 24% body fat to about 13% in only 3 months, and on top of it I gained muscle mass. So if you're telling me that I'm doing something wrong, probably you should look at yourself in the mirror first, see if you have achieved the level of fitness I have and then tell me I'm doing something wrong. If you're going to question my anatomy and physiology knowledge after going to school to become a Licensed Massage Therapist, I suggest you to either use a different approach or possible get a lesson about such topics.

I'm not against listening or reading what you have to offer, there's always an opportunity to learn from everyone around you, but don't you dare to question my methods and tell me you know more than I do. Unless you show me a certification that you are a personal trainer or a nutritionist, I won't really care for those "corrections" you want me to do to my routines.

Basically, always be open to listen and learn from others, but remember not everything you learn applies to everybody the same way, so helping others doesn't mean questioning what they already know or do unless you have a solid foundation on the topic. And to those getting help, don't be discouraged by what others tell you, before you make the assumption they are right and you're wrong, double check, find out from different sources before you make any changes to your routines and diets.

ps. If any of you post something here, asking a question, I will always give my opinion based on my point of view, but I will never tell you what's best for you.

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    well put
  • meglane
    meglane Posts: 39
    Options
    human nature = ego

no matter how much or how little you know
  • BrooklynNaomee
    Options
    well put.. . :-)
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys :)
  • sstrose
    Options
    So well put....each of you know's your body and your positive and challenging behaviors. Keep to your routine no two people are the same my friends.

Much support your MFP friend, Sabrina
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with you. I'm no personal trainer, doctor, nutritionist, etc. Just a formerly fat chick who likes giving her take on things here. I always try to include the phrase "that's what worked for me". Try it or not, like it or not (like when I note that I eat dinner at 9pm & have a bedtime snack, freaks people out). Its my "opinion", not saying that anything I write is a fact unless it pertains directly to me. Opinions are just that - there is no right or wrong. Hate it when people get on their high horse (although reading through this I might be on a short pony right now, lol).
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    I have to agree with you. I'm no personal trainer, doctor, nutritionist, etc. Just a formerly fat chick who likes giving her take on things here. I always try to include the phrase "that's what worked for me". Try it or not, like it or not (like when I note that I eat dinner at 9pm & have a bedtime snack, freaks people out). Its my "opinion", not saying that anything I write is a fact unless it pertains directly to me. Opinions are just that - there is no right or wrong. Hate it when people get on their high horse (although reading through this I might be on a short pony right now, lol).

LOL @ the short pony :P
    But yeah, you're right, opinions are just that, and just because people want to help others doesn't mean those being helped have to do exactly what you're telling to do.
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    You're kind of an inspiration (if by "kind of" I mean "holy crap huge awesome <insert other adjectives here>"). I now have BF% envy :-).

I also studied massage therapy and find the knowledge of how and why my body moves the way it does helps immensely whilst sweating it out in the gym. It's really cool to hear someone else is applying that knowledge in more ways than those that require lotion.

Thank you for ranting, very well put. I'm faced with the same difficulties in dealing with friends, family, co-workers... everyone seems to "know what's best for me." Last I checked, it's my waistline that is shrinking and those are my sneakers moving faster and longer on the pavement.

Have a fantastic day!!!
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    You're kind of an inspiration (if by "kind of" I mean "holy crap huge awesome <insert other adjectives here>"). I now have BF% envy :-).

I also studied massage therapy and find the knowledge of how and why my body moves the way it does helps immensely whilst sweating it out in the gym. It's really cool to hear someone else is applying that knowledge in more ways than those that require lotion.

Thank you for ranting, very well put. I'm faced with the same difficulties in dealing with friends, family, co-workers... everyone seems to "know what's best for me." Last I checked, it's my waistline that is shrinking and those are my sneakers moving faster and longer on the pavement.

Have a fantastic day!!!

Wow I don't even know what to say to that.... Thank you lol
    And forget about the envy, you can get there if you want to :) anyone can.

Doesn't our knowledge helps a lot? I love it, and I keep learning more every day, I think the fact that we know our bodies help us pay more attention to things that usually are overlooked :P so hooray for the "more ways than those that require lotion" lol

Eventually you'll go to them and say, hey did you notice? I'm wearing a size (insert a low number for women's pants here lol) and I just finished a marathon heheheee.

You too have a fantastic day!
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    I'm aiming for one of those "how do you like these apples" moments... only I'll be grating them with my rock hard abs. Well, once I move all the beer I drank in 2010 ;-).
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    It seems I'm always short with my calorie intake, so I feel the blanks with Guinness :O

About the abs, I live in South Florida, and the reason why I want the six pack is because with all the hurricanes causing power outages I need to have a solid tool to wash my clothes LOL
  • loriefolk
    loriefolk Posts: 352
    Options
    Great post!
  • redruthie
    Options
    I couldn't agree with you more!

I had this very same conversation with one of my friends the other day. It feels good to get stuff like this off your chest.
  • run_way
    run_way Posts: 220
    Options
    It seems I'm always short with my calorie intake, so I feel the blanks with Guinness :O

About the abs, I live in South Florida, and the reason why I want the six pack is because with all the hurricanes causing power outages I need to have a solid tool to wash my clothes LOL

hahahaha I love it :laugh:
    This is a great post. Everyone always has their opinions and I think it's hard for some to grasp that they might be wrong and/or different than other people. I guess once I get to my goal I can just sweetly smile at them and hope they catch a glimpse of my toned tush as I walk away lol
    Cheers!:drinker:
  • MobiusMan
    MobiusMan Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    you are obviously screwed up...I only hope to get that screwed up...great post.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Nice post.

If more people were actually in tune with their bodies I think they would have a better weight loss journey. You have to be very observant.

Congrats on knowing yours and the success you've had.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    so true its UNREAL! Im with you on this!
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    What an awesome post! As a future nutritionist (I have a bachelor's of science in dietetics....just studying for that darn registration exam....arrrrgh!) I am not afraid to admit that I don't know it all! I do know a lot about nutrition, digestion, and metabolism but as you well know there is a LOT to know about the body and how it works. So I certainly don't claim to know it all! People who DO claim to know it all are often the very ones who are rather far off the mark. ;) And I certainly don't cram what I DO know down anyone's throat. I LOVE to share my knowledge but I respect the fact that we each have to make our own decisions. Besides, the more you try to talk to someone who doesn't want to hear what you have to say, the less they listen. There's just no point in wasting energy. And I'm always open to learning more! I am confident I could learn a LOT from you about physical fitness! :)

I'm glad you mention that everyone should be willing and open to researching what information they DO get here. Because sometimes I see things posted that are very wrong and think, "What if the OP takes that seriously without taking the time to look it up???" Scary!

Peace out!
  • YassSpartan
    Options
    I'm glad you mention that everyone should be willing and open to researching what information they DO get here. Because sometimes I see things posted that are very wrong and think, "What if the OP takes that seriously without taking the time to look it up???" Scary!

Scary indeed. The way I take it is like a politician. They know how to talk and move the crowds, that doesn't mean they no crap about what they're talking about LOL

Oh and that's an excellent point, you being a future nutritionist, there's always something new to learn :) thank you for sharing that.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    Great post.

I simply didn't tell anyone besides my husband (and you guys) that I'm doing this.