Exercise TOO MUCH?

jmhunter84
jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Is there such a thing as exercising too much? I have recently started working out but working out 5 days a week, and I have noticed that I am losing but I am drained, tired, and body feels achy. Can you overdo it? I am trying to reprogram my body because I really want to reach my goal.

Replies

• mcphtm
    mcphtm Posts: 26
    What exercises are you doing? How long are your workouts?
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Yep...if you're tired and drained, your body is telling you to relax a bit. Exercise cannot be something that you jump into full force from not working out. And, even the programs like Insanity and P90x make a day of noncardio and one day off as rest. Your body sounds like it just needs to rest up a bit.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    yes you can overdo it!

if you are going to work out 5 consecutive days, you should alternate workouts so you are not exercising the same muscles - give them a break. If you are working out at a gym, I would suggest talking to a trainer or staff member =)

Good Luck!
  • emcohen
    emcohen Posts: 46
    I'm certainly no expert, but unless your workouts are extremely long as well as frequent, you're probably ok. Of course you're tired! Think about how much you're working out. I'm feeling the same way recently.

I think the most important thing would be to vary your workouts. If you are doing cardio 5 days a week, your body will get used to it and you won't see any improvement. Mix in a little weight training or a gym class or something.
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    I beleive and what works for me is that your body will tell you when it needs. Maybe you are not getting enough sleep or eating the type of foods you need or yes you could just be over doing it. Plenty of people work out 5 days a week. Look into all of the factor of your life and find out whats right for you!
  • jmhunter84
    I alternate zumba classes, Wii Fit, ellipical machines, strength training, and Curves!
  • yes you can over do it
  • jmhunter84
    Yes I have been drinking a lot of water, but I am getting many headaches, and my legs feel like jello.
  • I am not an expert in this matter by any-means...but i do workout and read a lot of health mags and I stayed at a holiday inn express once. I think you have shocked your muscles.Are you stretching and cooling down post workout? You can over do working out ..and basically wear out your muscle fibers, its best to only do strength training (weights) three times a week not consecutively .Throw some variety in to work different muscles..like one day do the stationary bike then do intervals on the treadmill then use the rowing machine etc..etc. Take your vitamins and drink lots of water.and remember the pain is weakness leaving your body. Good luck and Happy workouts.
  • jmhunter84
    Thank you, I know you can do cardio everyday, but wasn't sure about the strength training, but I am in the learning process. I am so grateful to have such as supportive site.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    take a day off once in a while and you will instantly know.
    Start slow at first and you can build to 6 or 7 days a week, but start slow
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    There is a saying that" a dull pain is ok and a sharp pain is not". We all get sore muscles. If you overdue you risk injury and that will set you back. Better to take it slow and steady. Be the tortoise.

Even Olympians can over do it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Sometimes when I'm stiff and sore and achy, exercising makes me feel better. If what you'd doing makes you wanna curl up in a little ball and cry, take it easy for a day or two. Take the time to figure out what works best for your body.
  • shannonshock13
    shannonshock13 Posts: 355 Member
    I workout 5-6 days a week I do the bike,treadmill, and elliptical I alternate days doing intervals on those. I also do strength training 4 days a week .

At the beginning i needed 2-4 days of recovery (as far as strength training) and if i felt really sore i eased up on my cardio as well.
    Now i'm able to get away with 1 day of rest sometimes 2 if i push myself really hard with the weights.

You'll get there just listen to your body and if you need to rest, then rest! :)
  • Most people already said what I think, but I wanted to add a side note- make sure you are eating enough! One time I was doing really good workout routines but I didn't realize that I was burning more than I thought & ended up finding out that the calorie intake recommended for me was for non-active people & I was dipping around 1000 calories net by the end of the day with my workouts- my Dr told me I need to be no lower than 1200 calories, even after workouts b/c then the body interprets it as like starvation mode.

Just something to think about! I was totaly in the dark about that and once I started adding a good balanced 250 cal snack (protien/veggie or fruit carb combo) I started feeling better, no headaches :)
  • jmhunter84
    Thank you all for such wonderful tips and advice.
This discussion has been closed.