Mmmmm....brownies?

Options
stephaniekendrick
stephaniekendrick Posts: 87 Member
I am wondering if anyone has ever tried a recipe that brings down the calories for brownies? They are my weakness lately it seems and I am making them a lot for my kids because they want them! I just made a batch and got disgusted at the fact that I had to put in 2/3 of a cup of oil into them! That was a lot of freakin' oil!!! It didn't seem to stop me from eating one right from the warm oven though....

Anyways, I know about the can of soda for the cake mixes and I've even done the pumpkin puree in devil's food cake mix (which is a delicious, SOLID treat by the way!), but was wondering if anyone has ever heard of and/or tried a calorie fix for brownies?

If not then I will resort to eating my brownie and then working off the calories! Thanks! :)

Replies

• sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I don't know any ideas off-hand to make a recipe less bad for you but I heard of these "no-pudge" brownies. They come in a pink box with a pig on it...they are suppose to be really good and you make it by mixing the box of brownie mix with yogurt.
  • trevensmommy
    Options
    Thats exactly what I was thinking too. I have had them and they are yummy! Here's there website if your interested. http://www.nopudge.com/ . Good luck
  • dspearsb
    dspearsb Posts: 186
    Options
    I just tried a mix called No-Pudge. Found it in the cake section of the market. It uses fat free plain yogurt, and they were delicious. My kids couldn't tell the difference! If you don't wanna go out, maybe do a Google search for vegan brownies. No animal products brings the fat and calories lower. I've tried a few (my youngest is allergic to eggs and milk) and they're not bad.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Very similar to the pumpkin/soda ones... take a can of brownie mix and mix in a can of pureed black beans. Make sure that you REALLY puree the beans VERY well. Don't eat them when they're warm, or you'll be able to taste the beans, but once they're cooled they're AMAZING!!! You can make a 9x13 pan, cut into 24 squares at about 100 cals each and FULL of fiber and protein. Don't be thrown off by the whole idea of the beans! It's SO good! I gave them to my brother and he couldn't tell the difference... ate half a pan!
  • mafke
    mafke Posts: 6
    Options
    On Dr. Oz.'s web site www.doctoroz.com there is a recipe for Rocco Disperito's fudge brownie's. They are under 100 calories. :bigsmile:
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Steph, the no-pudge brownies are pretty good! Someone brought them into work, and I didn't have a clue there were made with yogurt! (this was a few months ago...before I joined mfp!! lol)

Wegmans carries them. There are several different varieties.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Dark Chocolate and Cherry Brownies

CookingLight.com users agree: Sweets are a top craving, and chocolate is in a class by itself. These rich brownies are just the ticket. Lining the pan with parchment paper helps prevent the moist brownies from sticking.

Yield: 16 servings

Ingredients
    Cooking spray
    3.4 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3/4 cup)
    1 cup sugar
    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1/3 cup cherry preserves
    1/3 cup water
    5 tablespoons butter
    1 large egg, lightly beaten
    1 large egg white
    1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
    Powdered sugar (optional)
    Preparation
    1. Preheat oven to 350°.

2. Line a 9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper; coat with cooking spray.

3. Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1 cup sugar, unsweetened cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Combine cherry preserves, 1/3 cup water, and butter in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Add preserves mixture to flour mixture; stir well. Add egg and egg white; stir until smooth. Stir in semisweet chocolate chips. Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool in pan on wire rack. Garnish with powdered sugar, if desired.

Nutritional Information

Calories:
    155 (31% from fat)
    Fat:
    5.4g (sat 3g,mono 1.4g,poly 0.2g)
    Protein:
    2.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    25.8g
    Fiber:
    1.1g
    Cholesterol:
    23mg
    Iron:
    1mg
    Sodium:
    168mg
    Calcium:
    10mg
  • LeslieAnn72
    LeslieAnn72 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I had a nutritionist tell me to use fat free greek yogurt in place of the oil. Its fat free and high in protein. I haven't tried them yet but I heard that they were fabulous.
  • cmrich0511
    Options
    You can also use fruit puree in place of the oil. Most of the time if I bake & don't want to use oil, I'll either use applesauce in its place, or I will puree some canned pears.
  • TIFnFIT
    TIFnFIT Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS replace the oil for applesauce in my cakes and brownies. They are super yummy and moist-er - YUM!
  • stephaniekendrick
    stephaniekendrick Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

If I substitute the applesauce for the oil...is it the same amount? As in if it calls for 2/3 cup of oil, do I use 2/3 cup of applesauce instead?
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I did it wrong...I left out an egg and put a cup of applesauce. Next time I will leave out the oil.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    A lot of people replace the oil with prune puree or applesauce, but once I tried pureeing a banana, and they came out really good! :)
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    The Black Bean Brownies are good but I tried this recipe just this past weekend and everyone LOVED them!

Rich and Chewy Brownies

1/2 cup cocoa
    1 cup flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 cup splenda sugar blend
    2 T splenda sugar blend
    1 egg
    1/2 cup applesauce
    1/4 cup yogurt

Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl using a hand mixer. Add egg whites, applesauce and vanilla.
    Mix all other ingredients in a separate smaller bowl and add to the wet ingredients in the large bowl. Do NOT overmix!
    Spray 8x8 baking pan with PAM and bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.

16 brownies

Nutrition Facts (From the Calorie Count Recipe Analysis)
    Serving Size 32 g
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories 80Calories from Fat 20
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 2.2g3%
    Saturated Fat 1.3g6%
    Cholesterol 16mg5%
    Sodium 92mg4%
    Total Carbohydrates 13.3g4%
    Dietary Fiber 1.1g4%
    Sugars 5.7g
    Protein 1.9g
    Vitamin A 1% • Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 3% • Iron 5%

Forgot to add--These are better the next day, though my family didn't wait that long!
  • superbeffie
    superbeffie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened applesauce instead of the oil. It tastes exactly the same and it keeps them super moist.
  • Teran0612
    Options
    bumpity bump bump bump!!!! I love brownies!!! I think I will have to try every one of these recipes!!! For quality control purposes of course!!! :wink:
  • agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bump
  • PinnHead
    Options
    Brownies are my thing too, I use crushed bananas in place of oil. It works great and give a slight chocolate bananas flavor to them.
  • kingcountry
    kingcountry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Have this recipe which is great ! 1 cup unsweetened apple puree/sauce Sift in 1/3 cup cocoa, 3/4 cupself raising flour,1/2teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips 3/4cup chopped walnuts (optional), Do Not overmix Put in lightly sprayed or oiled 20x20 baking dish >bake at 175o C for around 25-30 mins Cool in pan for 5-10 mins. Cool completely before cutting into 15 slices Dust with icing sugar if desired, Freeze well Bon appetit
  • Ginger_10
    Ginger_10 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The black bean brownies are very good, I've made them several times and people asked if I added chocolate chips. For some reason the beans seem enhance the chocolate flavor.