Geek it Up

Options
edorice
edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
One of my fellow bloggers said that she felt like a geek for bringing her lunch. My thought on this is that we should embrace our inner geek and get in the habit of bringing our lunch to school and work. For the last year I’ve been carrying my lunch. I carry it every day in my Twilight or New Moon lunch box. There are many benefits to bringing your lunch to work.

1: Gives you a chance to recharge.

2: It helps with your self control over eating the wrong things and over eating.

3: It helps you save money during the week.

4: You save on calories and sodium.

On an average day I used to get the Sourdough Grilled Chicken Club from Jack in the Box. That has: Calories: 535 Fat grams: 25 Sodium: 1493 mg

When I thought I was being good I would go to the Subway across the street and order the foot-long Meatball Marinara. It’s got to be healthier right? Not so much. Calories: 744 Fat grams: 46 Sodium: 3,060 mg.

So embrace your inner geek. Check out Toys R Us or Hot Topic (stores or online) and get a lunch box in your favorite cartoon character or super hero. You know you have one!!!

Replies

• winneau
    winneau Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Rock on fellow geeks! I have an Alf lunchbox (with matching Thermos, of course)! I really love making my lunch the night before, because it really makes me think about what I'm going to be eating, and plan out how to balance my fiber, protein, veggies, etc. Geeks unite!
  • Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    Options
    I have a Toy Story lunch box!!

And making my lunch the night before, means I'm more excited about it! It's full of yummy stuff! Not just something I've settled on because it was there and I was hungry!

GOOOOOO GEEKS!!
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Like, like, LIKE Edorice!!! I've had my Geek on for the better part of the last 13 years! I carry my breakfast and lunch to work and have managed to inspire all of my fellow co-workers to do the same!! Now, if I can just get them to eat clean food instead of Lean Cuisines!!

My daughter has carried her lunch to school since she started and now, most of her friends do the same!! The crusade is on!!
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm not working right now, but I always brought myself lunch in my bento box :smile:

I didn't do a traditional bento since the rice and sodium isn't what I was looking for, but I love the little compartments and accessories.

I have this one:
    urara-dragonfly-bento.jpg

(sorry if the image is big)
  • katerinab
    Options
    I give you a big ol' thumbs up for your lunch boxes. I have four or five - all Twilight related LOL

I like to bring my lunch whenever possible, whether leftovers from the previous night's healthy dinner or just a sandwich and some snacks. I never know what and in what quantities my fast food is made from, but at least I know what my home lunch is made of!
  • edorice
    Options
    I give you a big ol' thumbs up for your lunch boxes. I have four or five - all Twilight related LOL

I like to bring my lunch whenever possible, whether leftovers from the previous night's healthy dinner or just a sandwich and some snacks. I never know what and in what quantities my fast food is made from, but at least I know what my home lunch is made of!

Might I add that my Eclipse lunch box is coming in the mail from Amazon this week? :tongue:
  • Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I'd rock a retro-lunch box like the many I had in grade school, but unfortunately they don't make them big enough to fit the many meals I have to consume....hmmmmmmm.....
  • sarakaufman
    sarakaufman Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just started making lunches and healthy ones for my boyfriend so he can see how much he actually saves when not eating out. HE don't belive he is going to save much money.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'm rockin' an insulated one from the Paula Deen bus tour in Savannah! TOTALLY out of step with the healthy food inside, lol.
  • jessieinblue
    jessieinblue Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I am definitely a geek, but I chose to embrace my inner child instead when I picked this lunch bag:

http://www.oompa.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=DA0201

Ha! I love it (and so do all my coworkers and students).
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I just ordered this one!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/e263/

I'm an uber dork and proud of it!
  • stargzrlily
    stargzrlily Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I just ordered this one!

yea me too! thinkgeek has alot of cool stuff.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    I just ordered this one!

yea me too! thinkgeek has alot of cool stuff.

It's my favorite online store...and etsy. I got all my BBT shirts from thinkgeek. I <3 Sheldon, lol.
  • edorice
    Options
    Sheldon rocks, I bought a rock papers scissors lizard Spock tee for my teen.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    Options
    Sheldon rocks, I bought a rock papers scissors lizard Spock tee for my teen.

That's one of the ones I have, lol.
  • edorice
    Options
    I am definitely a geek, but I chose to embrace my inner child instead when I picked this lunch bag:

http://www.oompa.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=DA0201

Ha! I love it (and so do all my coworkers and students).

OK, those are really cute.
  • SweetPandora
    SweetPandora Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Geek checking in!

My whole work career I have always brought my lunch. In the beginning it was financial then it became a health thing.

I <3 Sheldon too! Bazinga!

Karen
  • sinsaria
    Options
    I absolutely love packing my bento boxes the night before!! For some reason, packing my stuff in the bento boxes makes me more excited about eating my lunch....plus, bento stuff is just adorable.

thinkgeek=love

I just filled my new rhinovirus soap dispenser this evening....
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I've always brown bagged it. I don't get what the whole issue is...I don't even eat lunch with everyone, I sit at my desk and read...but then again, I've been called a geek A LOT in my life lol...even my fiance thinks I'm a geek, but it can't be helped!